The Student Room Group

What should I wear for an interview at John Lewis?

Tomorrow I have an interview for stock room assistant at John Lewis. It is a Christmas temporary job.
What I am undecided about is what I should wear. I thought maybe black jeans and a button up shirt, just because it is too cold for a dress and I would feel uncomfortable going out like that.
As for the shoes, I was wondering, should I wear something with heels? (Not too high, like black boots with heel, less than 10cm high) or flats?
I think the heels would look more professional with the outfit, but I'm not sure about.. what if we have to move around a lot or what if it's too much or what if it's inappropriate:/
I really don't know 😫

Plus, does anyone know what will happen during the interview? There's two bits, the group one and the individual one. Anyone?

Sorry for the long and confusing question, but I hope someone can help me :smile:
Reply 1
If you want the job, I cannot help.

If you don’t then wear a bandana, lumberjack shirt, sports bra, ripped jeans and orange air max.
Usually for (most) interviews I would say black jeans are fine but for John Lewis that’s a big no no. Their uniform is business attire so dress along those lines.

I had an interview for the same position and the interview was really easy. The group part is just discussing different scenarios in groups of 3/4 then feeding back to the assessor. The individual part is pretty much the same except you do it yourself and right your answers down (kinda like an exam).
Reply 3
Original post by jasontesfaye
Usually for (most) interviews I would say black jeans are fine but for John Lewis that’s a big no no. Their uniform is business attire so dress along those lines.

I had an interview for the same position and the interview was really easy. The group part is just discussing different scenarios in groups of 3/4 then feeding back to the assessor. The individual part is pretty much the same except you do it yourself and right your answers down (kinda like an exam).

Wouldn't a casual business attire work?
Original post by MoonieSt
Wouldn't a casual business attire work?

I suppose. I just don’t recommend jeans.
I had this interview a few years ago. I recall being observed in a small group discussing a scenario from a card and being asked what we would do. I don’t recall all the details, they just want to know if you can follow instructions and avoid doing anything dangerous. Listen carefully to the instructions given to the imaginary and don’t allow others to influence you if they decide that they are following the wrong path in the scenario, just state what you believe is true of the scenario. Don’t ever argue with them just state your case calmly and with enough confidence, the assessor will hear you and it’s them giving the job not others in your group. Do not wear jeans ! Wear profession business dress, like the assistants do in the store. Good luck 😉
Reply 6
tbh id say go for something smart but casual
a plain blouse with black jeans/slim trousers or a skirt would be nice
and i'd say go for flats, you never know how long you'll be standing for
Reply 7
Original post by fatima17k
tbh id say go for something smart but casual
a plain blouse with black jeans/slim trousers or a skirt would be nice
and i'd say go for flats, you never know how long you'll be standing

That's pretty much the idea I was going for as well, but now I'm worried it's gonna be too casual.. if you know what I mean. Omg I'm stressing out
Reply 8
That's pretty much the idea I was going for as well, but now I'm worried it's gonna be too casual.. if you know what I mean. Omg I'm stressing out

noo trust me, its good
its not too casual, lemme show you the type of blouse im talking about

Spoiler

if youre still not sure, go for a white blouse with black trousers, white and black always look smart
Reply 9
noo trust me, its good
its not too casual, lemme show you the type of blouse im talking about

Spoiler

if youre still not sure, go for a white blouse with black trousers, white and black always look smart

I see, that makes it a lot more clear thanks!
Also do you think I should still wear a blazer on top? To like "complete " the look?
I see, that makes it a lot more clear thanks!
Also do you think I should still wear a blazer on top? To like "complete " the look?

no worriess
and yhhh a blazer would be nice
something like this:

Spoiler

Reply 11
no worriess
and yhhh a blazer would be nice
something like this:

Spoiler

Yep that's what I had in mind
Thank you so much!! You have no idea how helpful you were hahah:smile:
Yep that's what I had in mind
Thank you so much!! You have no idea how helpful you were hahah:smile:

no problem at all! i like choosing outfits for other people haha
Reply 13
Tomorrow I have an interview for stock room assistant at John Lewis. It is a Christmas temporary job.
What I am undecided about is what I should wear. I thought maybe black jeans and a button up shirt, just because it is too cold for a dress and I would feel uncomfortable going out like that.
As for the shoes, I was wondering, should I wear something with heels? (Not too high, like black boots with heel, less than 10cm high) or flats?
I think the heels would look more professional with the outfit, but I'm not sure about.. what if we have to move around a lot or what if it's too much or what if it's inappropriate:/
I really don't know 😫

Plus, does anyone know what will happen during the interview? There's two bits, the group one and the individual one. Anyone?

Sorry for the long and confusing question, but I hope someone can help me :smile:

The group interview will be about yiur attitude to talking the initiative and using commons sense in certain situations with people. The individual one is obvious: previous knowledge , skills, experience that you bring to the job? your ambitions, and personal qualities+ questions that you would like to ask them e.g further training opportunities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending