The Student Room Group

Best Uni for games art???

I really want to do a games art degree. (Its like game design but less coding and more making assets, environments etc)

Which Unis are good for this and which course is considered the best? I’m predicted A* A* A. So far I'm considering UCA Farnham, De Monfort or Hertfordshire so would like opinions on Game Art at those unis or even completely different unis that may be better. Thanks (:

Edit three months later : okay so my current #1 choice is Falmouth, but any other suggestions (or maybe even people who have reasons against going to Falmouth) are still very much appreciated !
(edited 4 years ago)
I've moved your thread to the Computer Science forum, as there are no dedicated forums for your particular course. :smile:
Hey there Ashuuki,

Have you checked out our Game Arts course at Plymouth College of Art?

The course here at PCA focuses on game design, concept art, prototypes, etc. in both 2D and 3D, digitally and by hand. Students on the course are taught software and programs such as 3dsMax, Substance Painter, Unreal Engine 4, Construct 2, Adobe Photoshop and ZBrush and have access to software and programs such as Maya, Blender, Substance Designer, Unity and the rest of the Adobe programs.

If you'd like to know more about our Game Arts course at Plymouth College of Art, you can visit our website or would like more information you can email [email protected] or [email protected]. If you would like to speak to a current student on the course, then let me know and I can put you in touch. Alternatively, feel free to ask any questions you may have in the thread below.

Hope this helps,
Harriet :smile:
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
Original post by Ashuuki
I really want to do a games art degree. (Its like game design but less coding and more making assets, environments etc)

Which Unis are good for this and which course is considered the best? So far I'm considering UCA Farnham, De Monfort or Hertfordshire so would like opinions on Game Art at those unis or even completely different unis that may be better. Thanks (:

Hi @Ashuuki

I'm so sorry we've only just spotted this one. We do Games Art at Staffs (More info: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/games-art-ba). We also do lots of other games degrees, such as design and programming, and we also do Concept Art for Games and Film too.

That said; we probably offer more games courses than anyone else at Staffs so we have a pretty good reputation within the industry. Did you have any specific questions? If so, I can put you in touch with our Course Leader - or alternatively we have a few open days coming up so it might be worth you popping along to one and seeing our facilities for yourself - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/visit/undergraduate-open-day/stoke-on-trent

Thanks

Amy
Reply 4
Hull, Bradford or Keele
Reply 5
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Ashuuki

I'm so sorry we've only just spotted this one. We do Games Art at Staffs (More info: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/games-art-ba). We also do lots of other games degrees, such as design and programming, and we also do Concept Art for Games and Film too.

That said; we probably offer more games courses than anyone else at Staffs so we have a pretty good reputation within the industry. Did you have any specific questions? If so, I can put you in touch with our Course Leader - or alternatively we have a few open days coming up so it might be worth you popping along to one and seeing our facilities for yourself - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/visit/undergraduate-open-day/stoke-on-trent

Thanks

Amy

can you say hello to my cousin Joseph Woodington
Check Nottingham Trent
Original post by Ashuuki

Which Unis are good for this and which course is considered the best? So far I'm considering UCA Farnham, De Monfort or Hertfordshire so would like opinions on Game Art at those unis or even completely different unis that may be better. Thanks (:

Hey @Ashuuki

Sorry for the late reply! Are you still debating which Uni to study at?

I am a current student at Hertfordshire - here's a little info about our BA (Hons) 3D Games Art & Design course:

Our course is accredited by ScreenSkills, meaning that your studies will be relevant to the requirements of the Game Art/Design industry. As well as being rated TEF Gold (showing that the University consistently offers outstanding teaching and learning), we are rated as the best UK school for Game Design and the 8th best in the world by The Rookies. The course offers a mixture of animation/design theory as well as a large amount of creative design work. You will have several opportunities to work on your own projects, as well as the chance to undertake a placement or year abroad.

Living and study at the University of Hertfordshire has been a great experience. I have found it both rewarding and enjoyable. The campuses feature plenty of modern facilities and green spaces. There are a vast range of societies and sports teams. You can also use the University's great sports facilities for your own enjoyment - students are able to use the on-campus swimming pool, gym, courts, pitches and even rock climbing wall! There are also plenty of social activities. Our on-campus club, The Forum hosts regular events. There are also a range of events and live sports on offer in our pub, the Elehouse.

You can view some our previous students work here and here.

Let me know if you have any questions about the University of Hertfordshire :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ProbablyPallas
Check Nottingham Trent

I have, not a fan. Seems to spend pretty much the entire first year on conceptual art, which seems like a waste
Reply 9
Original post by Herts UG Student Rep
Hey @Ashuuki

Sorry for the late reply! Are you still debating which Uni to study at?

I am a current student at Hertfordshire - here's a little info about our BA (Hons) 3D Games Art & Design course:

Our course is accredited by ScreenSkills, meaning that your studies will be relevant to the requirements of the Game Art/Design industry. As well as being rated TEF Gold (showing that the University consistently offers outstanding teaching and learning), we are rated as the best UK school for Game Design and the 8th best in the world by The Rookies. The course offers a mixture of animation/design theory as well as a large amount of creative design work. You will have several opportunities to work on your own projects, as well as the chance to undertake a placement or year abroad.

Living and study at the University of Hertfordshire has been a great experience. I have found it both rewarding and enjoyable. The campuses feature plenty of modern facilities and green spaces. There are a vast range of societies and sports teams. You can also use the University's great sports facilities for your own enjoyment - students are able to use the on-campus swimming pool, gym, courts, pitches and even rock climbing wall! There are also plenty of social activities. Our on-campus club, The Forum hosts regular events. There are also a range of events and live sports on offer in our pub, the Elehouse.

You can view some our previous students work here and here.

Let me know if you have any questions about the University of Hertfordshire :smile:

Hi there ! I am still looking, yes. I have done quite a bit of research into Hertfordshire but unfortunately the course seems too broad ie not focused in on just the art, and there's also scripting involved which I'm not looking for. Glad you're having a good time, though (:
Reply 10
Original post by Lwajura
Hull, Bradford or Keele

Couldn't seem to find a games art course at Keele, and the Bradford course was just too animation focused for me. Will have a look at Hull now, thanks for the suggestions (:
Original post by Ashuuki
Hi there ! I am still looking, yes. I have done quite a bit of research into Hertfordshire but unfortunately the course seems too broad ie not focused in on just the art, and there's also scripting involved which I'm not looking for. Glad you're having a good time, though (:

No worries! Best of luck with the course/uni search, I hope you manage to find the best University for you! :biggrin:
Have you had a look at Falmouth?
Reply 13
Original post by lia_r18
Have you had a look at Falmouth?

Absolutely !! Falmouth is currently my number one choice ! Do you go there?
Original post by Ashuuki
Absolutely !! Falmouth is currently my number one choice ! Do you go there?

no - I was looking at doing their creative robotics course and it looked really good but it was too far from my house 😔.
Reply 15
Original post by lia_r18
no - I was looking at doing their creative robotics course and it looked really good but it was too far from my house 😔.

Ahhh fair enough. It’s a five hour drive from my house but honestly it looks so amazing that I’m completely willing to make that journey
Reply 16
Hey dude !!
I'm applying for Game Art too, and this is my top five !

De montfort Game Art
Abertay Computer Arts
Falmouth Game Art
UCA Game Art
Norwich Game Art

I'm still debating whether i'll put DMU or Abertay as my first pick, but i really loved both courses. I'm applying to Falmouth too, but bc it's so far away i haven't been able to make it to an open day, so I don't know as much about it.
Reply 17
Original post by aspalax
Hey dude !!
I'm applying for Game Art too, and this is my top five !

De montfort Game Art
Abertay Computer Arts
Falmouth Game Art
UCA Game Art
Norwich Game Art

I'm still debating whether i'll put DMU or Abertay as my first pick, but i really loved both courses. I'm applying to Falmouth too, but bc it's so far away i haven't been able to make it to an open day, so I don't know as much about it.

Nice ! I wasn’t a fan of DMU because from the looks of it there’s a heavy focus on the traditional aspects of art. I’ve already spent seven years on traditional art, I wanna jump straight into /actual/ 3D art haha, that’s why I’m going with game development:art at Falmouth as my first choice. I went to the open day just this weekend, it was amazing there (: definitely recommend checking it out, was well worth the 12 hour round trip for me
Reply 18
Original post by Ashuuki
Nice ! I wasn’t a fan of DMU because from the looks of it there’s a heavy focus on the traditional aspects of art. I’ve already spent seven years on traditional art, I wanna jump straight into /actual/ 3D art haha, that’s why I’m going with game development:art at Falmouth as my first choice. I went to the open day just this weekend, it was amazing there (: definitely recommend checking it out, was well worth the 12 hour round trip for me

yeah that makes a lot of sense, im coming straight out of A levels and so even though ive spent a lot of time developing my fundamentals, i think that focus would be good for me :smile: If i dont get to falmouth before, ill def be there for interview, so hopefully ill get an idea of it one way or another. appreciate your input!
Original post by Ashuuki

Which Unis are good for this and which course is considered the best? I’m predicted A* A* A. So far I'm considering UCA Farnham, De Monfort or Hertfordshire so would like opinions on Game Art at those unis or even completely different unis that may be better. Thanks (:

Edit three months later : okay so my current #1 choice is Falmouth, but any other suggestions (or maybe even people who have reasons against going to Falmouth) are still very much appreciated !

Hi Ashuuki!

We're really happy you have been considering DMU. Our Games Art course does begin on some basics in the first year but does include a focus on 3D modelling, textures and other vital skills that prepare you greatly for your future career in the industry. We've had students go on to work for the BBC, Blizzard, Honda, Jagex, Rockstar North and SEGA - just to name a few. I would strongly recommend attending an open day. We have three coming up on the 9th November, 7th December and the 11th January and you can book onto one through our website.

I must also mention the academic-led trips that we offer through DMUGlobal. In March next year the university is offering an affordable trip to San Francisco for a Games Developer Conference, which is available exclusively to Game Art and Animation students. Every student also gets offered a bursary to cover a large proportion of the costs for these trips. I have used this every year as a Film Studies student. In my first year I went to the Berlin International Film Festival, in my second year the Cannes Film Festival, and in April 2020 I will be going to Los Angeles.

Good luck with the application and whoever you decide to go with! Let me know if you have any queries. :smile:

- Niamh

(I will mention @aspalax as I know you are also interested in the course :smile:)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending