The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi
I am really confused about Kent and Medway because I saw somewhere that the grades were AAB but then after some reading I was not sure if this was only for local students? Or students on your access scheme?
My UCAT is 3170 and I’m predicted A*A*A*A* so is it worth applying? Would I be considered? I am not from an affluent area but I’m very far up north so visiting the uni would be very difficult
Original post by Olivia1105
Hi
I am really confused about Kent and Medway because I saw somewhere that the grades were AAB but then after some reading I was not sure if this was only for local students? Or students on your access scheme?
My UCAT is 3170 and I’m predicted A*A*A*A* so is it worth applying? Would I be considered? I am not from an affluent area but I’m very far up north so visiting the uni would be very difficult

wtf... that score is just too high for me to even comprehend. u know u can literally apply whatever uni u want as long as you meet the minimum gcse requirement and get interview with your eyes closed. unless u got a band 4 in sjt in which case u are slightly limited. ik medicine is veryy competitive and you just need some reassurance to make u feel safe but trust that score is just something else. Got my ucat in 8 days, how'd you find the ucat compared to the official mocks and medify mocks (if u used medify) done a few mocks and the ar section for the 3 official mock just seems disgusting
(edited 4 years ago)
Your stats are fantastic You can apply pretty much anywhere - not sure of your GCSEs ?I would suggest given the info KMMs has shared which at best is vague - yes you would get an interview But I would say put down options where you can see yourself there standard offer is AAB
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Krunker482
wtf... that score is just too high for me to even comprehend. u know u can literally apply whatever uni u want as long as you meet the minimum gcse requirement and get interview with your eyes closed. unless u got a band 4 in sjt in which case u are slightly limited. ik medicine is veryy competitive and you just need some reassurance to make u feel safe but trust that score is just something else. Got my ucat in 8 days, how'd you find the ucat compared to the official mocks and medify mocks (if u used medify) done a few mocks and the ar section for the 3 official mock just seems disgusting

The UCAT official website verbal reasoning I would say is more realistic than medify. This section I found hard because it’s also the first one so like stress and u literally have 30 seconds per question with no time for review at the end Cos it’s soo tight. So stick to your timings and do not spend longer than 30 s on any question If u want to get them all finished (obviously if ur plan is to complete like 70% of questions and get them all right then go for it this is just what I did). I did timed practice questions and I only did 2 full mocks but all mini mocks - I also did every VR questions is ISC book but tbf they’re really hard and UCAT official is probs better. For all the others I did al the mini mocks and I started with untimed questions to get my confidence up in the potential question types. Then moved to timed practice and did mini mocks regularly until all completed. If u want any help honestly just message me I think I was lucky but I have some like ‘revision’ things like acronyms and stuff but if u have ur own then use them!!! I got band 2 SJT but I didn’t reakly look at that at all because I felt that it wasn’t as necessary as long as I didn’t get a 4. But looking back I’d recommend reading GMC good medical practice sheets and doing medify questions on that too. Just go in calm tho that’s the thing that helped the most. I was sitting and just chill for most of it except VR haha. Just believe in yourself and that you can do it and that’s half the battle. Also do not be afraid to flag. I flagged soooo many questions and just did the easiest ones first and left all the harder, longer questions till the end Cos they’re worth the same marks
Original post by Olivia1105
The UCAT official website verbal reasoning I would say is more realistic than medify. This section I found hard because it’s also the first one so like stress and u literally have 30 seconds per question with no time for review at the end Cos it’s soo tight. So stick to your timings and do not spend longer than 30 s on any question If u want to get them all finished (obviously if ur plan is to complete like 70% of questions and get them all right then go for it this is just what I did). I did timed practice questions and I only did 2 full mocks but all mini mocks - I also did every VR questions is ISC book but tbf they’re really hard and UCAT official is probs better. For all the others I did al the mini mocks and I started with untimed questions to get my confidence up in the potential question types. Then moved to timed practice and did mini mocks regularly until all completed. If u want any help honestly just message me I think I was lucky but I have some like ‘revision’ things like acronyms and stuff but if u have ur own then use them!!! I got band 2 SJT but I didn’t reakly look at that at all because I felt that it wasn’t as necessary as long as I didn’t get a 4. But looking back I’d recommend reading GMC good medical practice sheets and doing medify questions on that too. Just go in calm tho that’s the thing that helped the most. I was sitting and just chill for most of it except VR haha. Just believe in yourself and that you can do it and that’s half the battle. Also do not be afraid to flag. I flagged soooo many questions and just did the easiest ones first and left all the harder, longer questions till the end Cos they’re worth the same marks

Thankyou!! Tbh vr is just too **** for me so I'm not trying to aim super high. Did ukcat last year and I flopped the actual exam, literally nothing went my way, the calc of medify was different from the actual calc it just went bad but I got 550 for vr. Did a mock a few days ago n got 680 so as u can imagine I was buzzing, but tbh I'm relying on the other 3 sections to get a decent score I'm just trynna get 550+ for vr😂 Qr is my strongest but its like there are some decent mocks in which I get 850 ish and others where I get 770 ish, and then for ar it's just even more wild, sometimes I get 850 then 770 then 700 and even got 630 although that was one of the harder mocks and still performed decent compared to others, it's just that I did mock 3 of the official mocks for ar and that lock was just disgusting v.v hopefully the actual mock isn't like that. And I've kinda given up now on getting a good score since my scores have been soo wild and fluctuating, just want 680/690ish I can apply glasgow. Dm is crazy too literally a difference of like 2 marks is the difference between 650 n like 730 so really is down to luck for that. Thankyou very much for the advice!!
Original post by Krunker482
hey, what about students who have finished their a levels and got achieved grades. I got 3 As, my gcse's are poor but meet the minimum requirement. I am doing my ucat in 30th of september, and i think i would considered a contextual student cuz of my school performing below average and my past struggles and so on. It says that students would be shortlisted according to gcse's, but then it says that they rank the students according to the ucat scores, does that mean that gcse's and a levels are only used as a screening process? Also i don't get this wrong but the courses are funded by the government right? so i can use student finances? sorry it sounds stupid but i found out about Buckingham university a few months ago only to find out that apparently students have to pay £35 000 out of their pockets a year.

Hey!
Unfortunately, I only know as much as the website in terms of interview/entry requirements but from what I've read, guaranteed interviews are only for students who meet the criteria I quoted above. You can get funding from student finance for this course, but it is a loan and you will have to repay it once you are earning over their annual threshold, but more information on that can be found on the Student Finance England website :smile: You shouldn't have to pay any fees directly to the university if you apply to receive student finance, but any finance questions you should check out the student finance england website for more info!
I'm sorry that I can't answer all your questions, I only have as much info as the website I'm afraid.
You could always try contacting the KMMS Admissions team via their online enquiry form though, they might be able to give some more detailed answers! :smile:
Got a score of 2450 in the ucat. Is it worth applying to KMMS?
Reply 67
Original post by hotchoco1293

Nobody knows as this is the first year KMMS have been open to students and the cut off will be decided based on the cohort applying
Original post by RyanS101
Anyone know how they will use the ucat ? Or how they wil selext Who they will invite for interviews?

Hi there!
Because KMMS is a new medical school for 2020 there is limited information on the application and selection process. All the up to date and most detailed information on their selection process can be found on the entry requirements page on their website :smile: Currently, there is no information on how they will use the UCAT as it is their first intake of students, so there is no information to go off of.
According to their website they will guarantee an interview for students who are;

'Currently studying at schools in the Kent & Medway Progression Federation (KMPF), a partner school or college of either Canterbury Christ Church University or the University of Kent or at a University of Kent Academies Trust school'

From university application experience, as long as you meet their entry requirements (although the UCAT requirements are not known) and have a strong personal statement then you are in a good position to be selected for an interview!
Sorry that I don't have any more information for you. But, if you'd like to try and find out more you can always use the contact page on the KMMS website to speak to a member of the admissions team :smile:

Apply. If there’s lots of applicants witha. Low ucat
It might be lowered ?
It might be lowered ?

I believe so too. Thanks!
Reply 71
Hi, I’m a mature student want to get into medicine, currently doing 5 I gcse from distance learning so my question is what are the requirement of gcse ; because I’m seeing most of the students who apply for medicine have more than 5, i mean some have loads of gcse.Does it make a difference in the selection process?
Original post by 852749
Hi, I’m a mature student want to get into medicine, currently doing 5 I gcse from distance learning so my question is what are the requirement of gcse ; because I’m seeing most of the students who apply for medicine have more than 5, i mean some have loads of gcse.Does it make a difference in the selection process?

I think you just needed the minimum amount that they say on the site . I presume you will need a levels unless you have a degree ?
Are you a graduate ?
Original post by 852749

In terms of GCSE's, I think they require you to have a GCSE in both Maths and English at a B grade, but they do not specify any other GCSE requirements. So I guess if you have a B in those 2 subjects, you're fine.
Reply 74
It might be lowered ?

They will simply rank all applicants by their UCAT and count down from the top until they have the number of people they wish to interview, and that score will be the cut off. They will not care if there are 5 or 500 with lower scores
In terms of GCSE's, I think they require you to have a GCSE in both Maths and English at a B grade, but they do not specify any other GCSE requirements. So I guess if you have a B in those 2 subjects, you're fine

According to their website, you need 5 GCSEs at grade B or above including double Science, Maths and Englsih.

https://kmms.canterbury.ac.uk/study/applying-to-kmms.aspx
Reply 76
No, i am not graduate, but I’m going to do my A levels or access course,whichever will be easily available and one more question, i read this on many places that A level has to be completed in two years,then only medical school considere it; is it true? Or it could be done in one year too.
Original post by GANFYD
They will simply rank all applicants by their UCAT and count down from the top until they have the number of people they wish to interview, and that score will be the cut off. They will not care if there are 5 or 500 with lower scores

Is that how they say they are going to do it ? When I enquiried they said they don’t know yet.
I’m wondering if they will employ similar method to keele or Sunderland
Hi guys ,thought I’d start a thread on those who are applying to kmms.
Any graduates ? Or are you a level students ?
Ucat scores ?
m

Hi guys ,thought I’d start a thread on those who are applying to kmms.
Any graduates ? Or are you a level students ?
Ucat scores ?

im a graduate, considering KMMS as one of my options but still not entirely sure. ucat score of 667.5 band 2. You?

Latest

Trending

Trending