The Student Room Group

putting the a in ramen

Scroll to see replies

I think with that maths question you possibly need to think about gradients and proving they meet straight line requirements?
Do you not get your references provided to you? We got ours (although I was then nosey and wanted a proper copy of the final version my tutor put together so called up UCAS to send me one :rofl:)
Glad you got your concert tickets! And well done for passing your assignment :yep:
(You should totally out Durham down :wink:)
Original post by Lemur14
I think with that maths question you possibly need to think about gradients and proving they meet straight line requirements?
Do you not get your references provided to you? We got ours (although I was then nosey and wanted a proper copy of the final version my tutor put together so called up UCAS to send me one :rofl:)
Glad you got your concert tickets! And well done for passing your assignment :yep:
(You should totally out Durham down :wink:)

oh that's a good idea but idk how it'd link to small degree approximations because it says we have to take x as a small value etc:erm:
i dont think so:nah: on unifrog it says some of my subject references have already been completed but i can't actually see them
thank you :grin:
i'll consider it:wink:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
oh that's a good idea but idk how it'd link to small degree approximations because it says we have to take x as a small value etc:erm:
i dont think so:nah: on unifrog it says some of my subject references have already been completed but i can't actually see them
thank you :grin:
i'll consider it:wink:

I would have once known this but all I can think of is a question that would require trig calculus and since you haven't done that yet then it can't be that...
Aww that's a bit rubbish :frown: I loved reading mine (even if they were written terribly in some cases...meant I got an opportunity to ask them to improve it :innocent:)
Only if the course/place is right for you, but would be lovely if you were to :hugs:
manu's song of the week/day:
[video="youtube;2k5w6eTxGXk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k5w6eTxGXk[/video]
hey guys!! surprise surprise i didn't update on friday lmao i'm too tired from school by then

english lit:

slow week w/ death of a salesman, teacher wasn't here for the double so we were just working via slides. i have to say i'm hating doas even more as we're continuing, feel like i'm repeating the same ideas again and again in analysis. handed in my essay on whether willy's fate is destined from the outset, was only a page and a bit long but i hope it's somewhat decent:redface:
we began looking at part 2 in atonement. studied narrative voice changing to robbie, the attitudes towards war + the significance of nettles and mace, two other soldiers.
nea i did a bit more work on this week, i think i've finally got a question down for my poetry nea but not sure if it's a good one :redface: one flew over the cuckoo's nest i've barely touched, could start getting my essay properly down tbh so i'll see if i can this week.

maths:

we looked at cotx, cosecx, secx, as well as other equations that are linked to sin2x + cos2x =1. naturally our class couldn't stop laughing when we were learning about them so the teacher had to alter her pronunciation slightly :lol: quite interesting stuff though, this inverse stuff. the proof i was awful at as expected, i'm so slow with proof :cry: with the solving ones we used CAST diagrams which was v useful revision :yep:
modulus w the other teacher, not too awful at the moment but it'll probably get worse. just gotta remember that the value's always positive in modulus. did some funky stuff on our calculators with the absolute function so we could draw the graphs.

psychology:

self disclosure theory in relationships, pretty straightforward stuff. i made revision notes for the topic prior to the lesson so i thought it was okay:yes: there's so many studies in relationships though!!
got a question back i did on sexual selection and got 12/16- think the new teacher's a bit harsher in marking which i prefer:yep: there was lots of little notes around the essay which i found really helpful, so i'm gonna try handing in questions to her this year.
cognitive approach in approaches (surprise surprise), some of it was stuff we covered in year 1 like schemas so not too bad either.

other academic stuff:

did a massive rewrite of my ps with the old draft as reference, really helped:yep: feel like i haven't got enough down now though!!:redface: and my conclusion is still utter tosh. intro i haven't really worked on, idk how i can improve it as i feel like everything coming out of my brain will be cliche anyway:erm:
i did quite a bit of work this weekend as i've got a concert on saturday and a course thing sunday evening so will be more busy. sitting at my desk all weekend hasn't been fun :nah: i do wonder how much spotify i went through this weekend:rofl: must've been listening to taylor swift a billion times at least whilst in the study room.

non academic stuff:

spiderman's back in the mcu:woo::party:
mario kart i've been playing a lot of, i do really enjoy it even though i'm not the best at it :laugh: it's become like the new pokemon go, though i think the impact might be a little longer lasting here?? idk. pokemon go i didn't play an awful lot tbh
someone kindly pointed out to me that i have hit the peak of year 13 when i willingly watch edited peppa pig episodes on youtube :rofl: can't get any better than this y'all!!
thoughts on the trailer of shane's jeffree star series if you've watched it?? i think it looks well good:ninja:
qotd: biggest fear? mine's heights and spiders.
hope you've all had a lovely week :h:

Spoiler

I have exams for UCAS, wish me luck!! :woo:
Original post by HumbleBee_x
I have exams for UCAS, wish me luck!! :woo:

good luck:h:
what unis are you thinking of applying to? :smile: xx
good luck:h:

if only we did similar A-levels :rolleyes:
Original post by mpaprika
what unis are you thinking of applying to? :smile: xx

st andrews, cardiff, manchester, east anglia and either bham, durham or swansea?? for my fifth? or another uni entirely idk :rofl:
what about you? or am i asking this early :laugh:
Well done for your subjects :rave:
I feel like Shane’s trailer lasted for about 3 minutes longer than it could have done :laugh: feel like it dragged a bit :dontknow:
nice stuff in maths :biggrin: psychology sounds interesting!
harsh markers are good sometimes, glad you like that too! :thumbsup:
I'm sure your PS is looking good :yep:
my biggest fears are sick and the sea :colondollar: bit weird but yeah :redface:
Reply 91
The pronunciation of cosec and sec never really caused any mirth with us lol (although pronouncing f(u) kinda does). But yes trig proof in year 13 can get pretty irritating, because there are a lot of operations (for lack of a better term) that you can do that don't actually advance the question. I think the trick is to recognise when there's a hidden identity in something.
That said the proof of the cosec2x and sec2x identities shouldn't be anything to worry about - just divide both sides by sin2x and cos2x respectively
Also whenever you've got an equation involving modulus, sketch the graphs of the LHS and RHS separately, always

you're definitely doing a lot more for your PS than I ever did :redface: have you put in line breaks? for mine I ended up being 500 characters or so under the limit despite maxing out the number of lines allowed
My biggest fear is probably non human animals!
Original post by laurawatt
Well done for your subjects :rave:
I feel like Shane’s trailer lasted for about 3 minutes longer than it could have done :laugh: feel like it dragged a bit :dontknow:

hm tbh we didn't learn a lot from the trailer as the audio was muted but i liked the shots anyway :laugh:

Original post by Protostar
nice stuff in maths :biggrin: psychology sounds interesting!
harsh markers are good sometimes, glad you like that too! :thumbsup:
I'm sure your PS is looking good :yep:
my biggest fears are sick and the sea :colondollar: bit weird but yeah :redface:

thanks protostar:hugs:
the sea's definitely scary as it's a vast open water thing :eek: sick i'm not keen on (is anybody:rofl:)

Original post by Sinnoh
The pronunciation of cosec and sec never really caused any mirth with us lol (although pronouncing f(u) kinda does). But yes trig proof in year 13 can get pretty irritating, because there are a lot of operations (for lack of a better term) that you can do that don't actually advance the question. I think the trick is to recognise when there's a hidden identity in something.
That said the proof of the cosec2x and sec2x identities shouldn't be anything to worry about - just divide both sides by sin2x and cos2x respectively
Also whenever you've got an equation involving modulus, sketch the graphs of the LHS and RHS separately, always

you're definitely doing a lot more for your PS than I ever did :redface: have you put in line breaks? for mine I ended up being 500 characters or so under the limit despite maxing out the number of lines allowed

most of us are pretty immature :laugh:
yeah i don't think i'll ever like proof because there's no set way to approach it really, just ends up being trial and error for me :rofl:
i have put in line breaks:yep: that being said i'm not surprised my ps is under the limit because my conclusion is still underdeveloped:redface:
Original post by Obolinda
My biggest fear is probably non human animals!

so all animals?:ninja:
so all animals?:ninja:

Yh, except humans and some others(horses, snakes, etc):colondollar:
st andrews, cardiff, manchester, east anglia and either bham, durham or swansea?? for my fifth? or another uni entirely idk :rofl:
what about you? or am i asking this early :laugh:

oh dear :laugh: So far I've got UCL, Southhampton and possibly oxbridge?? All your unis sound really great, especially the cities
Original post by mpaprika
oh dear :laugh: So far I've got UCL, Southhampton and possibly oxbridge?? All your unis sound really great, especially the cities

you sound like you've got some good choices :yep:
cardiff was such a nice city:gah:
sorry this is so late :colondollar:
you've got this, manu! :jumphug:
aotd: heights, most living things (including humans)
Original post by nyxnko_
sorry this is so late :colondollar:
you've got this, manu! :jumphug:
aotd: heights, most living things (including humans)

it's fine!:heart:
:hugs:
humans aren't that scary :laugh: (well some!!) heights i'm a big wuss about though:sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending