The Student Room Group

Bank

2 years ago I did fraud on my card and I was to scared and I didn’t know what to do after. The people were telling me to take the cash out but I didn’t want my face on camera. So the money didn’t get taken out and he sent it back to where the got it from. Then the bank sent me a letter saying they cannot be my bankers anymore. At the time I was 17 and I didn’t think nothing off it because I was living off mom and dad. After I was trying to look for a job and tried to open an account with Lloyd’s they shut me down and told me to write to CIFAS however CIFAS didn’t get back to me. I have been using an online digital account but that got bankrupted. So now I am 20 I am using my cousins bank card for work but I desperately need to have my own account. What do I do???? I really need help!!!!!! I know I’m stupid but I am stressing out so much about this.
Go to advice bureau. They should be able to help
Original post by Maryamxoox
2 years ago I did fraud on my card and I was to scared and I didn’t know what to do after. The people were telling me to take the cash out but I didn’t want my face on camera. So the money didn’t get taken out and he sent it back to where the got it from. Then the bank sent me a letter saying they cannot be my bankers anymore. At the time I was 17 and I didn’t think nothing off it because I was living off mom and dad. After I was trying to look for a job and tried to open an account with Lloyd’s they shut me down and told me to write to CIFAS however CIFAS didn’t get back to me. I have been using an online digital account but that got bankrupted. So now I am 20 I am using my cousins bank card for work but I desperately need to have my own account. What do I do???? I really need help!!!!!! I know I’m stupid but I am stressing out so much about this.

You need to get a copy of your credit file from the three main credit reference bureaux. I think in your case it might be best if you asked someone at the Citizen's Advice to help you with it.

I suspect you have a first party fraud marker against your name. I'm afraid it is unlikely that you will be able to open a bank account with this against your name. But you need to check what information has been registered against you first.
Reply 3

As @Reality Check suggests, check the Credit Reference Agencies and verify that everything they have on you is correct.

Also, submit a Subject Access Request to CIFAS: https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request (I understand that while some CIFAS information will show up on Credit Reference Agencies' reports, not all of it will.)

There are references on this forum to banks that do provide accounts to people with CIFAS markers, so you might want to try those.

But if you do have a CIFAS marker on your account, you really do need to know that for certain. If you think it's there unfairly (from what you've said it sounds like it's reasonable for it to be there) then you need to know which bank registered it and then go through the bank's complaints procedure.
How do you use your cousin's account?
Reply 5
With the dual glaring red flags of having a CIFAS mark and being bankrupted i'd be rather surprised if any lender of moderate repute will go near you im afraid...
Then again cant hurt to check with CAB or have a look at some of those other digital banks and the like.
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
With the dual glaring red flags of having a CIFAS mark and being bankrupted i'd be rather surprised if any lender of moderate repute will go near you im afraid...
Then again cant hurt to check with CAB or have a look at some of those other digital banks and the like.

Could you recommend any?
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
How do you use your cousin's account?

Her old bank card
Reply 8
Original post by martin7
As @Reality Check suggests, check the Credit Reference Agencies and verify that everything they have on you is correct.

Also, submit a Subject Access Request to CIFAS: https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request (I understand that while some CIFAS information will show up on Credit Reference Agencies' reports, not all of it will.)

There are references on this forum to banks that do provide accounts to people with CIFAS markers, so you might want to try those.

But if you do have a CIFAS marker on your account, you really do need to know that for certain. If you think it's there unfairly (from what you've said it sounds like it's reasonable for it to be there) then you need to know which bank registered it and then go through the bank's complaints procedure.

I have tried to contact them but they have not written back to me
Reply 9
I have tried to contact them but why haven’t gotten back to me
Reply 10
Original post by Napp

Do you know any?
I have tried to contact them but why haven’t gotten back to me

You've tried to contact who, exactly?

My experience of submitting requests for my Statutory Credit Report (to the credit reference agencies) is that they've always sent back the report with 7 days.

I've never needed to submit a subject access request to CIFAS, but their site says: "We are required by law to respond to your request within a calendar month of receiving a fully completed form, but we aim wherever possible to reply within a shorter timeframe."
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by martin7
You've tried to contact who, exactly?

My experience of submitting requests for my Statutory Credit Report (to the credit reference agencies) is that they've always sent back the report with 7 days.

I've never needed to submit a subject access request to CIFAS, but their site says: "We are required by law to respond to your request within a calendar month of receiving a fully completed form, but we aim wherever possible to reply within a shorter timeframe."

I’ve contacted cifas but they didn’t get back to me, I’m really stuck on what to do or how to open a bank account. I have been crying non stop about this and my hair has started to fall out :frown: I’m so desperate to fix it right now but I have no idea how to
I’ve contacted cifas but they didn’t get back to me, I’m really stuck on what to do or how to open a bank account. I have been crying non stop about this and my hair has started to fall out :frown: I’m so desperate to fix it right now but I have no idea how to

How did you contact CIFAS? Did you follow the instructions on their web site: https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request , specifically the section headed "How to submit a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR)" ?

When did you submit the request, and how long have you been waiting? Have you contacted CIFAS to chase up your request? Have you submitted a new request in case your original one somehow got lost?
Her old bank card

Thait is not possible. Explain
Do you know any?

There’s a lot of prepaid banks like monzo n26 pockit monese etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending