The Student Room Group

TfL Graduate Scheme 2019

Hi everyone! I can’t find a thread for this on here so I thought I’d start one. I’m a recent politics graduate (although a couple of years older than most graduates); I applied for the TfL GM grad scheme a couple of weeks ago and I got offered a video interview today! Who else has applied for one of their grad schemes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyy,:smile: I've applied for the finance grad scheme and been invited for the video interview. Have you had your's yet?
Original post by Zee106
Heyy,:smile: I've applied for the finance grad scheme and been invited for the video interview. Have you had your's yet?

That’s great! I’ve not taken the video interview yet - I had an interview today and I have another one tomorrow so I want to get those out of the way before I prepped for the TfL one. I wonder what kind of questions they’ll be? 🤔
Do you mean the TFL application (starting in Oct 2019) for GM intake in Sep 2020? I haven't applied yet.
Original post by Jobseeker123
Do you mean the TFL application (starting in Oct 2019) for GM intake in Sep 2020? I haven't applied yet.

That’s the one! I took a video interview last week for a Parliamentary grad scheme and just got rejected for it so I’m definitely doing some work on my video interview skills before I take the TfL one.
Original post by Zee106

Hi again! Have you taken yours yet? I'm doing my prep at the kitchen table now but I really don't know what to expect. I cant find an FAQ sort of thing which tells us how many questions we're going to be asked and the emails they've sent me don't say either. Previous years had 5 so I'm guessing it's the same?
Video interview all done. Only 3 questions this year, 30s to think and 2m to answer, so don’t sweat it! Make sure you have STAR answer notes to glance at for your competency question though and definitely prepare a few different ones. Make sure you know what attracted you to TfL and your scheme and what you can bring to it in case they ask you one of those. From what I can gather from previous applicants the competency Q might be covering leadership, teamwork, learning & development, customer service - so make sure to prep a few and practise answering within two minutes!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
I applied for the GM scheme and I’ve just finished the SJT. My weakness was collaboration on the personal feedback. Would that hinder me from moving on to the other assessments ?
Original post by Nayy.F
I applied for the GM scheme and I’ve just finished the SJT. My weakness was collaboration on the personal feedback. Would that hinder me from moving on to the other assessments ?

I don’t *think* so - everyone’s feedback for the SST lists a “development area” that you need to work on. It doesn’t indicate how much worse you did on that area than the others though, it could be (hypothesising here because idk how they score it) that you scored 100% on your strengths, 99% on the areas the feedback didn’t mention, and 98% on your “weakness”, which doesn’t make it much of a weakness - just that *comparatively*, it’s an area you aren’t as strong on.

What did the feedback say your strengths were?
Reply 9
Original post by msmiawallace
I don’t *think* so - everyone’s feedback for the SST lists a “development area” that you need to work on. It doesn’t indicate how much worse you did on that area than the others though, it could be (hypothesising here because idk how they score it) that you scored 100% on your strengths, 99% on the areas the feedback didn’t mention, and 98% on your “weakness”, which doesn’t make it much of a weakness - just that *comparatively*, it’s an area you aren’t as strong on.

What did the feedback say your strengths were?

Okay thank you for reassuring me! My strengths were resilience, innovator , relationship builder and something else. Also is there a numerical test for GM scheme?
Original post by Nayy.F
Okay thank you for reassuring me! My strengths were resilience, innovator , relationship builder and something else. Also is there a numerical test for GM scheme?

Not exactly - there’s the G+ test which you’ll have gotten a separate invite to around the time you received the invite to the SST and then contains some mild numerical and logical questions. Have you taken it yet?
Original post by Zee106

Heyyy Zee106

I’ve also applied for the finance graduate scheme! Would really appreciate if you could help me 😓 pretty please😩😭

Firstly been sent the SST & G+

I’m assuming SST is pretty straightforward like most as presumed by the practice questions that TFL gave🤨 you find it easy this SST?

Also the G+ test is this basic numerics like standard GCSE/Mental maths and verbal reasoning as easy as most or found this interestingly harder than most?

Also it’s been a week so I’m assuming you have done the Video Interview.
1) what were the questions like do you remember any? ~ please🥺
2) how many questions?
3) and what was the & prep timing ? & answering timing ?
4) if you’ve already done it? Heard anything about Assessment Centre yet?🤓
(edited 4 years ago)
Not exactly - there’s the G+ test which you’ll have gotten a separate invite to around the time you received the invite to the SST and then contains some mild numerical and logical questions. Have you taken it yet?

I’m yet to take it. I’ll keep you updated once I do, hope it’s not too hard!
Original post by BrokeGraduate
Heyyy Zee106

I’ve also applied for the finance graduate scheme! Would really appreciate if you could help me 😓 pretty please😩😭

Firstly been sent the SST & G+

I’m assuming SST is pretty straightforward like most as presumed by the practice questions that TFL gave🤨 you find it easy this SST?

Also the G+ test is this basic numerics like standard GCSE/Mental maths and verbal reasoning as easy as most or found this interestingly harder than most?

Also it’s been a week so I’m assuming you have done the Video Interview.
1) what were the questions like do you remember any? ~ please🥺
2) how many questions?
3) and what was the & prep timing ? & answering timing ?
4) if you’ve already done it? Heard anything about Assessment Centre yet?🤓

I applied for a different scheme but the process is similar so I can help answer these.

- the SST is very straightforward
- G+ is a mix of verbal, numerical and logical reasoning questions which are very simple, just take it slow and keep some paper and a calculator at hand
- it’s against the terms of taking the video interview and TSR’s user agreement to disclose the exact interview questions BUT the email with the invite to the video interview literally tells you what they’re going to ask. So read the email thoroughly! Possible competencies you might be asked to give examples of you performing might be leadership, teamwork, organisation, customer assistance, deadline management, and learning & development. Think of an example for each of these and keep some notes at hand during the video interview.
- there are three questions
- you get 30 seconds after being given the question to think and glance at your notes, then 2 minutes to answer
- I’m still waiting to hear back after my video interview, no invite to AC yet
(edited 4 years ago)
Pretty sure I failed the G test. Wasn’t hard but the time flies too quickly. Sigh, going to apply for another scheme
Original post by Nayy.F
Pretty sure I failed the G test. Wasn’t hard but the time flies too quickly. Sigh, going to apply for another scheme

Same here so annoyed, really annoyed that they said if you don't do questions they will deduct it off your mark!!!
Original post by sunonmyside
Hi everyone, I'xxxxx

Hey as per TSR rules and the terms of taking the test, you can’t post this. You might want to take it down in case it impacts your chances on the scheme, people do report these kinds of breaches to the companies.
Hey as per TSR rules and the terms of taking the test, you can’t post this. You might want to take it down in case it impacts your chances on the scheme, people do report these kinds of breaches to the companies.

To clarify, the image of the question I posted was not from the real SJT. I have not looked at nor started that yet. I was simply looking for help on a practice question that I found online without an answer provided, and just for some general advice - as many people do on here.
How long after the video interview will it be before we hear back?
How long after the video interview will it be before we hear back?

Congrats for getting to the Video Interview stage? But whats the situation strengths test like (is it easy?) and what should I expect from the G Plus Test (like how many questions etc and difficulty)?

Quick Reply

Latest