The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cheap to buy but too small for anything other than short commuting journeys. Running costs for a 208 wouldn’t be much more.
Original post by Meganlsherman
Does anyone own a pegeout 108 is it a good first time car ?

Avoid the car if possible, they're prone to rolling over from what I've seen in my area. They're also a massive eye-sore.

Unspeakably ugly and, like all French cars, made of cheese so prone to breaking down regularly.
As a first car, any 17 plate car of any make and model would be a massive mistake for anyone that's not a Premier League football star.

Financial black hole.

Does the 108 do 60 real world mpg and does it come with leather seats, aircon, sunroof and cruise control?

I have one, mines a 16 plate. Had it for a few months now. Great little car (despite what others have said on this thread). Really easy to park, cheap to fill. cheap to insure. I’ve not had any issues with it as of yet. It’s my first car so I was stalling it a lot at the beginning thinking that there was something wrong with it, but it was just my own driver error. I’ve taken it on long journeys and it’s been fine. Its labelled as a city car but it does fine on A roads and motorways. It’s not a BMW , you’re not going to get up to high speed in record time, but that’s kind of expected with a 1L car. Boot is pretty small. Can only fit about maybe 5-6 bags of shopping. My friend has a 15 plate Aygo, and they’re basically the same car. If you’ve got any other questions, just let me know.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Avoid the car if possible, they're prone to rolling over from what I've seen in my area. They're also a massive eye-sore.

Eye sore?! Mines gorgeous :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by cherryred90s

No it's not. Don't even kid yourself.

An Aston Martin is 'gorgeous'. A Peugeot 106 is, well, a Peugeot. :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
No it's not. Don't even kid yourself.

Wouldn’t have bought it if I didn’t like it ..different strokes for different folks
Original post by Reality Check
An Aston Martin is 'gorgeous'. A Peugeot 106 is, well, a Peugeot. :smile:

I agree with you about the Aston Martin. It’s a Peugeot 108!
I agree with you about the Aston Martin. It’s a Peugeot 108!

:lol: 106, 108...meh

Glad you're happy with it though. I'll stick to the Vanquish.
Reply 12
:lol: 106, 108...meh

Glad you're happy with it though. I'll stick to the Vanquish.

Can I borrow it?
Original post by IWMTom
Can I borrow it?

Sure :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
Can I borrow it?

Collect the keys after 8pm, bring it back tomorrow morning.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Collect the keys after 8pm, bring it back tomorrow morning.

Will do, promise I won't crash it ❤️
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
Will do, promise I won't crash it ❤️

:lol: Please don't it. Mrs RC has already scraped the wheels...

Could you delete the picture in your quote please buddy - I'm going to delete mine. It's a bit of an advert (and a bit twatty, as well if I'm being honest) Thanks :smile:
I have one, mines a 16 plate. Had it for a few months now. Great little car (despite what others have said on this thread). Really easy to park, cheap to fill. cheap to insure. I’ve not had any issues with it as of yet. It’s my first car so I was stalling it a lot at the beginning thinking that there was something wrong with it, but it was just my own driver error. I’ve taken it on long journeys and it’s been fine. Its labelled as a city car but it does fine on A roads and motorways. It’s not a BMW , you’re not going to get up to high speed in record time, but that’s kind of expected with a 1L car. Boot is pretty small. Can only fit about maybe 5-6 bags of shopping. My friend has a 15 plate Aygo, and they’re basically the same car. If you’ve got any other questions, just let me know.

I have a close friend. He's 21 years old and was looking for his first car to buy.

He followed my advice (in the end) and bought a 2002 Audi A2 TDi, 1.4. For £1000.

The Audi A2 is as easy to park as a Peugeot 108 and almost as cheap to insure. The Audi has a torquier engine and doesn't stall as easily as the Peugeot. The Audi is also cheap to fill and does more real world MPG than the 108.

The Audi has leather seats, air con and a sunroof. It's a nice enough place to be. It has a faster 0 to 60 time than the Peugeot.

So 17 years of progress gets you a slower, thirstier car with a more plasticky interior.

Is there any logical reason at all why a student should buy a Peugeot 108?
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
I have a close friend. He's 21 years old and was looking for his first car to buy.

He followed my advice (in the end) and bought a 2002 Audi A2 TDi, 1.4. For £1000.

The Audi A2 is as easy to park as a Peugeot 108 and almost as cheap to insure. The Audi has a torquier engine and doesn't stall as easily as the Peugeot. The Audi is also cheap to fill and does more real world MPG than the 108.

The Audi has leather seats, air con and a sunroof. It's a nice enough place to be. It has a faster 0 to 60 time than the Peugeot.

So 17 years of progress gets you a slower, thirstier car with a more plasticky interior.

I didn’t know that this was a Peugeot 108 vs Audi A2 thread?
OP asked for some insight into the car that they’re interested in. I felt I could offer some info as I have the same car. So please tell me what the problem is here? I think I’ve given my car a pretty honest review, I’m not claiming it to be better than anyone else’s. I was always going to get either the 108, Aygo, C1, Kia picanto , Hyundai i10 or something similar. I just like the look of those cars. Even with this information you’ve provided, I still wouldn’t have got an Audi A2 because it’s not my taste. So the logical reason to get it is ...because you want to! Simple enough.

And I wouldn’t say that the 108 is easy to stall. I said that I stalled it a lot when I first got it, which is typical for new drivers.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger

Plenty.
Firstly I would not recommend anyone on here to buy a £1000 diesel car. That is a money pit waiting to happen.
Ye, maybe if you know your stuff you can find a decent one but chances are if your on tsr you are a new driver so probably not.

Also a German diesel running costs and servicing costs are expensive compared to a tiny Japanese petrol car.
Again maybe you have a local independent garage who can service it for peanuts or you can do it yourself but for the average TSR person this is not gonna be viable. Also buying a 2002 diesel you no idea how long left the clutch has or the injectors or turbo . Maybe they have already been done but maybe not.

So why would I buy a 108 over a Audi Diesel?
Lower emissions so pay less tax
Newer 15 years newer in fact.
Very simple engine that is not going to go wrong
more reliable.
(Should be cheaper to insure)
I think they look nicer
Better for the environment

Some say that these vehicles are not capable of driving long distances. This is nonsense. They are perfectly capable of it. Ye, if sitting at 80mph on the motorway is your thing then this vehicle is not for you but for those who don't need to rush about they are perfectly fine cars.
Also I said it is a Japanese car because this car is essentially the same as the Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo just a different badge.

As for the plastic interior. Your right. But it's a cheap little car. I'm not buying it for leather seats and to brush my hands against the dashboard for the tactile ecstasy that will no doubt follow from my hand coming in to contact with aged leather that has soaked up 17 years worth of sweat and spit and skin cells.
I just want a reliable simple car that looks decent and I don't have to worry about.

Latest

Trending

Trending