The Student Room Group

How long does it take you to read

I wanted to ask how long does it take you to read chapters of difficult text books ?

I find if I just read I can read through quicker but to properly understand I have to write at the same time and this takes me like 10 years to read 2 chapters
For example reading through 2 chapters of my korean grammar text book
Or vet nursing calculations books ?
I feel like a extremely stupid person
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hangulmaster
I wanted to ask how long does it take you to read chapters of difficult text books ?

I find if I just read I can read through quicker but to properly understand I have to write at the same time and this takes me like 10 years to read 2 chapters
I feel like a retard

Please don't use that word. It's discriminatory and unnecessarily rude. Remove it.

EDIT - thank you :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

based on a fixed moment of time I determined by myself, 10 Minutes or even 30 Minutes later than planned, it is all about my mood.

It depends on the difficulty level for me. My economics textbook chapters take up atleast 30 minutes a chapter if I skim read it but english literature would take me less than 15 per chapter to even read it in detail.
Original post by wazzupitsme
It depends on the difficulty level for me. My economics textbook chapters take up atleast 30 minutes a chapter if I skim read it but english literature would take me less than 15 per chapter to even read it in detail.

What about if you were taking notes and thoroughly reading the chapter/ writing out test questions etc how long would it take you then?
It takes me foreverrrrr to read a chapter, including making notes. It took me altogether about 2 hours over a few days to finish one 😂😂😂
Original post by OR321
It takes me foreverrrrr to read a chapter, including making notes. It took me altogether about 2 hours over a few days to finish one 😂😂😂

What text book was it ?
What text book was it ?

The Business Environment by Wetherly.
It’s fine to work slowly! Read less but learn to read more carefully can critically. After every couple of pages of an article/book/blog, pause and reflect on what you’ve learnt so far (keep checking so that you’re not jus reading passively!)
Original post by English2001
It’s fine to work slowly! Read less but learn to read more carefully can critically. After every couple of pages of an article/book/blog, pause and reflect on what you’ve learnt so far (keep checking so that you’re not jus reading passively!)

When I’m learning from a difficult book I have to jot down notes and make questions to feel like I’m engaging but when I have book text books that are extremely word heavy it takes me hours to read like 1 chapter 😂😭 not only that but I have to continually review the content etc
Usually quite a while, but I'm usually reflecting on it and making notes at the same time too.
I tend to skim read it first, then make notes on important bits after.

I'd say for a 50-60 page chapter it'll usually take me 3-4 hours.
What about if you were taking notes and thoroughly reading the chapter/ writing out test questions etc how long would it take you then?

That would be about 25 minutes additionally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending