The Student Room Group

"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting..."

"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting on the country's future" - The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10224578/over-70s-voting-ban-uk/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunpoliticstwitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1572214274

To anyone here who thinks this way: please take a good, hard look at yourself in the mirror. You are naive at best; 'absolutely pathetic' is probably also accurate. I'm actually shocked at this, but I suppose I shouldn't be.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesbarry17
"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting on the country's future" - The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10224578/over-70s-voting-ban-uk/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunpoliticstwitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1572214274

To anyone here who thinks this way: please take a good, hard look at yourself in the mirror. You are naive at best; 'absolutely pathetic' is probably also accurate. I'm actually shocked at this, but I suppose I shouldn't be.

I wouldn't take much notice of it. It's a panelbase survey: it's hardly ComRes. Without seeing the methodology, it's probably meaningless.
Reply 2
I think they should be allowed to vote however I believe there should be an age limit of when a person can be in parliament because we need new ideas, more people centred politicians. Look at Grenfell it happened in 2017 and still hundreds of people are still displaced and the government has swept it under the rug due to what I believe to be a class structure which is still in the hearts of many of the older generation in parliament.
"The Sun" - 'nuf said.

Old joke:

What do you call a Sun reporter?

Spoiler

Original post by ghostwalker
"The Sun" - 'nuf said.

Old joke:

What do you call a Sun reporter?

Spoiler

:lol: I haven't heard that one for years!
Reply 5
Also a young adult is not 34 that’s almost middle aged
I like how you've read something in the Sun, then came here to lambast people for it :tongue:
Eh I do agree with this. They're over 70, they're only going to be alive for what, 10, 15, 20, 30 more years at best? This is our world. We have to deal with what they do and with the turnout for younger people being as low as it is, we can't afford for all the old people who vote to make decisions that we don't agree with but we don't vote against. They don't have to deal with the consequences of their votes. We do. They're going to live in the world with the consequences of their votes for 30 more years at best and then they're going to die and no more ****s will be given. We're going to have to live with it for much longer.
Original post by Samiseli

Or as I call it, still a kid
Original post by Glaz
Eh I do agree with this. They're over 70, they're only going to be alive for what, 10, 15, 20, 30 more years at best? This is our world. We have to deal with what they do and with the turnout for younger people being as low as it is, we can't afford for all the old people who vote to make decisions that we don't agree with but we don't vote against. They don't have to deal with the consequences of their votes. We do. They're going to live in the world with the consequences of their votes for 30 more years at best and then they're going to die and no more ****s will be given. We're going to have to live with it for much longer.

I suppose you favour taking votes away from the terminally Ill as well?

Also how old are you? If your 20... a 15 year old could make the same arguement to you.. they have to live with it for longer, so should get a bigger say.. If your 15, a 10 year old can make the same arguement.. they have to live with it longer so they should have a bigger say.

The real issue withour voter base isn't that old people 'can' vote.. its just that there are too many old people compared to young people.. we have had falling birthrates and increased healthcare for the elderly, meaning out demographics are now skewed towards the old in a way they weren't 40 years ago. The way we have solved this is to bring in a new younger generation of migrant workers, but most of them can't vote, so it doesn't help the voting problem.

Stopping older people voting is just reacting to the problem.. instead we need to solve the problem, and re-balance the population, and re-address the social contract between the elderly and the young which has broken down badly.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I suppose you favour taking votes away from the terminally Ill as well?

Also how old are you? If your 20... a 15 year old could make the same arguement to you.. they have to live with it for longer, so should get a bigger say.. If your 15, a 10 year old can make the same arguement.. they have to live with it longer so they should have a bigger say.

The real issue withour voter base isn't that old people 'can' vote.. its just that there are too many old people compared to young people.. we have had falling birthrates and increased healthcare for the elderly, meaning out demographics are now skewed towards the old in a way they weren't 40 years ago. The way we have solved this is to bring in a new younger generation of migrant workers, but most of them can't vote, so it doesn't help the voting problem.

Stopping older people voting is just reacting to the problem.. instead we need to solve the problem, and re-balance the population, and re-address the social contract between the elderly and the young which has broken down badly.

Clearly a difference between the 18-60 year old population and the 70+ population though...

Idk dude, I'm just giving my two cents
I mean the Sun is trash.

But imagine giving to a country, by working all your life and then being stripped of voting rights. Votes that affect you, as you're more vulnerable at that age.
Original post by Glaz

admitting that you discount the vote of someone with decades left to live is a brave thing to say outside the comedy club
Original post by Samiseli

Are you 12?
Original post by Glaz

I think you need to rethink your ideas. I am heading rapidly towards that age. I am guessing you are one of the vapid youngsters who cannot think beyond facebook, selfies and navel gazing. My taxes support you, I have worked hard to get where I am and I have a lifetime of knowledge.
Just watched that documentary by David Attenborough. Would you deny him the vote. He speaks more sense in one sentence than the majority of youngsters do in a lifetime
Reply 15
I'd be more inclined to give their vote extra weight in respect of their experience of life.

And the 'they don't have to live with the result of their vote' argument is a little weak... purely on experience (but it surely makes sense), older people care more about their children and grandchildren than they do themselves. So the most important people in their lives will have to live with the consequences of their votes, which gives them even more incentive to be sensible and to make a choice beneficial to the future.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I mean the Sun is trash.

But imagine giving to a country, by working all your life and then being stripped of voting rights. Votes that affect you, as you're more vulnerable at that age.

It’s dehumanising (to say the least). I wouldn’t trust people with that view to vote in a sensible manner.
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah but no but yeah old peeps dont kno nuffink about climit change or nuffink. even there hips is plastic innit.
Original post by Glaz

agreed Glaz and this was the main reason why i believe the referendum was inaccurate
Original post by jamesbarry17

Many of the young adults are snowflakes and are offended by everything, they can't handle reality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending