The Student Room Group

How hard is the 'Aggression' topic? AQA A-level Psychology

Hi guys,

So I am studying the three optional topics for paper 3. Initially, I was going to do (I can choose all my topics by the way) 'Addiction' because students advised that 'Aggression' had too many case studies. However, Addiction is so scientific and 'Aggression' seems more interesting to me personally.

My question to students who did 'Aggression' is; how hard is it exactly?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. :smile:
personally i didnt find aggression that hard, my teacher didnt choose addiction purely because as a class we weren't the best at scientific topics.

there are quite a few case studies, but most are related/the basis of a theory and aren't that hard to remember, it literally 'a family were all aggressive, they had x gene' this supports Y's theory (i can't remember it all now lol). its more a case of theres a lot of examples (which are good to mention and use as support/opposition in exams), than actual case studies.
personally, I also found aggression easier to understand as its something weve all felt, experienced, seen on tv etc, whereas addiction is less common (i just find it easier to learn if i can relate it to real life)

id go for whichever interests you more, have a look on line and see which has topics that really grab your attention.
Original post by originalbiscotti
personally i didnt find aggression that hard, my teacher didnt choose addiction purely because as a class we weren't the best at scientific topics.

there are quite a few case studies, but most are related/the basis of a theory and aren't that hard to remember, it literally 'a family were all aggressive, they had x gene' this supports Y's theory (i can't remember it all now lol). its more a case of theres a lot of examples (which are good to mention and use as support/opposition in exams), than actual case studies.
personally, I also found aggression easier to understand as its something weve all felt, experienced, seen on tv etc, whereas addiction is less common (i just find it easier to learn if i can relate it to real life)

id go for whichever interests you more, have a look on line and see which has topics that really grab your attention.

Thank you for getting back to me!

So I started reading through the textbook to get my first 'taste' of Addiction topic, I was just casually reading and it literally is all so scientific. I am also doing 'Schizophrenia' (which is essentially science) so I am thinking of switching over to 'Aggression' just because it is more social, and like you say easy to understand, not very scientific.

Thank you, I will. I think I just needed a reassurance that 'Aggression' isn't that awful lol. Cheers.
Original post by Sinful Delight
Thank you for getting back to me!

So I started reading through the textbook to get my first 'taste' of Addiction topic, I was just casually reading and it literally is all so scientific. I am also doing 'Schizophrenia' (which is essentially science) so I am thinking of switching over to 'Aggression' just because it is more social, and like you say easy to understand, not very scientific.

Thank you, I will. I think I just needed a reassurance that 'Aggression' isn't that awful lol. Cheers.

no problem! Personally i found most of the aggression topics linked together aswell which was nice.
Good luck :smile:
no problem! Personally i found most of the aggression topics linked together aswell which was nice.

Alright, thank you! :smile:

Do you mind me asking which topics linked from the Spec to 'Aggression'? Cheers x
Wait the teacher can pick certain topics?

As some1 else said we can skip the scientific parts?
Original post by davesantana
Wait the teacher can pick certain topics?

The teacher can and teacher does. I am just 'lucky' that I can choose my own topics as I am studying independently. Do you know what topics you will be doing? Probably too early for that lol

What do you mean by skipping scientific parts?
The teacher can and teacher does. I am just 'lucky' that I can choose my own topics as I am studying independently. Do you know what topics you will be doing? Probably too early for that lol

What do you mean by skipping scientific parts?

Lucky her. Since my whole class is bad at maths do u think she will pick the non maths 1. Will she discuss it w us or not

Well if you mean "can we choose less scientific topic for paper 3?", I think you can. There are some that are more science-heavy than others. :smile:

However, if you mean "can we skip scientific parts within compulsory topics for paper 1 and 2?", sadly not. lol
I hope that made sense.
Lucky her. Since my whole class is bad at maths do u think she will pick the non maths 1. Will she discuss it w us or not

Lucky her, indeed.

Whole class? The travesty! No, I am terrible at maths too but there aren't topics that require more mathematical skills than others... or at least I don't think so.

She should discuss it with you, whether she does or not is her choice. You can always initiate the conversation though.:smile:
Do you mind me asking which topics linked from the Spec to 'Aggression'? Cheers x

sorry i think i worded that poorly, the topics in aggression each linked to each other - eg external factors linked well the institutional aggression.

in general, most of the approaches were applicable in some way to the theories if that helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending