The Student Room Group

I missed my first few seminars at the start of my first term and now im too anxious..

To attend anymore as i feel awkward attending after missing a few and it just seems like this will continue. The thought of having to attend makes my anxiety really play up, Any advice would really be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
There's not much you can do except push through the anxiety as avoidance will only make it worse.

Are you getting any support for your mental health currently? What caused you to miss the seminars in the first place?
Reply 2
Original post by Pathway
There's not much you can do except push through the anxiety as avoidance will only make it worse.

Are you getting any support for your mental health currently? What caused you to miss the seminars in the first place?

I assumed that was the only way forward but i was just curious of any advice. :smile:
(Sorry for Chunk of Text)
Currently not, i have moved away from home to live in uni accommodation with no such anxiety prior to moving, i feel as if this has been compounded by the fact that i haven't really made any friends among my flat or on the course, so loneliness as been abundant lately. I was unable to attend the first few due to a late registration making it impossible to attend as i had no timetable and no contact with anyone on my course, but naturally this has became worse after having to miss those first few as i feel like i have missed the window to get in and meet everyone and for it to be a normal introduction. I am fully aware how counter-intuitive it is to continue missing these, but i honestly cannot even handle the thought of attending let alone actually going. Now i feel that its too late and i would feel extremely awkward attending, i have been debating contacting the unis support team and/or my tutor to see if theirs anyway forward.
Tbh I’ve been at uni for two months and I think only 5% of the lectures/seminars have been useful. I wouldn’t worry
Reply 4
Original post by OR321
Tbh I’ve been at uni for two months and I think only 5% of the lectures/seminars have been useful. I wouldn’t worry

I appreciate the consolation :smile:, im just worried that the attendance of them will become an issue with the uni.
Reply 5
Original post by JLawH
I assumed that was the only way forward but i was just curious of any advice. :smile:
(Sorry for Chunk of Text)
Currently not, i have moved away from home to live in uni accommodation with no such anxiety prior to moving, i feel as if this has been compounded by the fact that i haven't really made any friends among my flat or on the course, so loneliness as been abundant lately. I was unable to attend the first few due to a late registration making it impossible to attend as i had no timetable and no contact with anyone on my course, but naturally this has became worse after having to miss those first few as i feel like i have missed the window to get in and meet everyone and for it to be a normal introduction. I am fully aware how counter-intuitive it is to continue missing these, but i honestly cannot even handle the thought of attending let alone actually going. Now i feel that its too late and i would feel extremely awkward attending, i have been debating contacting the unis support team and/or my tutor to see if theirs anyway forward.

It's not too late. The thing is most of the time with anxiety it is generally your brain trying to protect you. If you feed the anxiety by avoiding the anxiety provoking activity it'll get worse.

When you attend just try to practice mindfulness, calm your breathing down. It reregulates your central nervous system to get you out of the stress response.

The more you do the things that scare you (that are actually safe!) the more control you'll have over your anxiety. It is a normal emotion mostly, just tends to misfire when stressed or depressed or some other mental health issue is occuring.

Speak to your tutor, maybe even ask your university's student support department about what sort of mental health support they have. You might benefit from a boost from counselling or a stress management course (I know my university held those, not sure if they all do though).

If you want to chat, you're welcome to drop me a message. I deal with various mental health issues including generalised anxiety disorder and complex post-traumatic stress disorder, so I'm not saying challenging the anxiety will be easy, but letting it fester will make it worse in the long run.
Original post by OR321

Lmao same. I then think to myself why did I even go
Original post by ساره
Lmao same. I then think to myself why did I even go

Exactlyyy. The thing is I don’t even listen coz I just zone out.
(I’d rep you but I already have before 😂)
Original post by OR321

same, whatever i’ve learnt has mostly been though independent study
Reply 9
Original post by Pathway
It's not too late. The thing is most of the time with anxiety it is generally your brain trying to protect you. If you feed the anxiety by avoiding the anxiety provoking activity it'll get worse.

When you attend just try to practice mindfulness, calm your breathing down. It reregulates your central nervous system to get you out of the stress response.

The more you do the things that scare you (that are actually safe!) the more control you'll have over your anxiety. It is a normal emotion mostly, just tends to misfire when stressed or depressed or some other mental health issue is occuring.

Speak to your tutor, maybe even ask your university's student support department about what sort of mental health support they have. You might benefit from a boost from counselling or a stress management course (I know my university held those, not sure if they all do though).

If you want to chat, you're welcome to drop me a message. I deal with various mental health issues including generalised anxiety disorder and complex post-traumatic stress disorder, so I'm not saying challenging the anxiety will be easy, but letting it fester will make it worse in the long run.

I will definitely try and challenge it. I know it's necessary to go and i appreciate you reminding me that its not too late. I will attempt to contact the uni services and see if theirs anyway of getting some support. I really do need to try and attend as your completely right, i will get some control over how i feel attending them if i actually do and hopefully it will be fine.

I really do appreciate what you've said and i'll be sure to message if i have any further problems if it wouldn't be a burden.
Original post by AnxiousGuy
same, whatever i’ve learnt has mostly been though independent study

Sameeee. My uni literally gives us these pointless sessions just to make sure we’re in for Atleast 12 hours a week 😂
Original post by JLawH
I will definitely try and challenge it. I know it's necessary to go and i appreciate you reminding me that its not too late. I will attempt to contact the uni services and see if theirs anyway of getting some support. I really do need to try and attend as your completely right, i will get some control over how i feel attending them if i actually do and hopefully it will be fine.

I really do appreciate what you've said and i'll be sure to message if i have any further problems if it wouldn't be a burden.

Good luck! I hope things get easier to manage and that you feel more able to participate your course and university in general.

Wouldn't be a burden. Obviously I am not a therapist, I'm just a random person who doesn't mind helping out if I can.

Take care. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending