The Student Room Group

Durham or York?

Hi! I’ve recently received offers from both York and Durham for psychology. Durham has offered slightly lower grade requirements but I really like both! I definitely want to put one of them as my firm.
Which uni would you suggest and why?
(edited 4 years ago)
i would personally pick durham purely because of its collegiate system
Durham because it is slightly more prestigious than York
Original post by bleepbloop63
i would personally pick durham purely because of its collegiate system

York also has a collegiate system just as an FYI :smile:

OP, congrats on your offers! Durham is probably generally regarded as the more prestigious of the 2, and tbh the cities are fairly similar. For me, the difference came when I went to the open days/offer days. I didn’t feel like I fit in at Durham whereas I instantly loved York, so definitely go to the offer days when you get a chance to really get a feel.

Have a look at the courses in detail and see which you prefer, including in 2nd and 3rd years. Also consider other things such as study abroad opportunities, availability of part time work if you need it, student support services, 2nd/3rd year accommodation etc. These might be the sort of things you looked over originally, simply because accommodation, course etc are more important, but could make the difference at this stage. Ultimately, both are great unis so it really will be a personal choice.

I went to York so happy to answer questions about life there!
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_

OP, congrats on your offers! Durham is probably generally regarded as the more prestigious of the 2, and tbh the cities are fairly similar. For me, the difference came when I went to the open days/offer days. I didn’t feel like I fit in at Durham whereas I instantly loved York, so definitely go to the offer days when you get a chance to really get a feel.

Have a look at the courses in detail and see which you prefer, including in 2nd and 3rd years. Also consider other things such as study abroad opportunities, availability of part time work if you need it, student support services, 2nd/3rd year accommodation etc. These might be the sort of things you looked over originally, simply because accommodation, course etc are more important, but could make the difference at this stage. Ultimately, both are great unis so it really will be a personal choice.

i know York has a collegiate system but Durham’s is a lot more formal and recognised. I’ve looked at both universities and in my opinion York’s system didn’t feel very collegiate and more just like names for the accommodation areas.
Thanks for the responses!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_

Thanks for the response! How did you find the accommodation at York and how easy was it to settle into Uni life? What is your favourite thing about York?
Original post by LouiseTierney
Thanks for the response! How did you find the accommodation at York and how easy was it to settle into Uni life? What is your favourite thing about York?

The accommodation was good for me - I was in Derwent college which is some of the cheapest but it had recently been renovated so it was genuinely lovely. However some of the older blocks are a bit worse for wear, although they are working on renovating them so fingers crossed that’ll be sorted soon! There’s also lots of nice accommodation off campus for 2nd and 3rd year too.

I settled in really well, I think because of the college system which gives you a nice community to instantly be a part of. There’s also a huge range of sports and societies that make it easy to find people with common interests.

My favourite thing was the number of opportunities, so I studied abroad, worked two part time jobs, played netball for the uni and more! I just found there were lots of extra curricular options, no matter what you were interested in :smile:
Original post by bleepbloop63
i know York has a collegiate system but Durham’s is a lot more formal and recognised. I’ve looked at both universities and in my opinion York’s system didn’t feel very collegiate and more just like names for the accommodation areas.

Aah that’s fair, Durham’s is probably more well known!

Quick Reply

Latest