The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2019-20

Just noticed there hasn't yet been a thread made for this subject (as far as I'm aware...) so here we go!

This is my first time doing modern studies since second year as I was recommended by my higher history teacher. What are everyone's thoughts on the course so far?
Reply 1
I like learning about the different topics however the essays are just too much :tongue:
hey, I really need help on techniques for learning the modern studies assignment to write up in class. I'm finding it so hard to remember all 2,000 words.any tips for memorising would be appreciated!
And how's modern studies going for everyone else?:smile:
Original post by elliemcbay
Just noticed there hasn't yet been a thread made for this subject (as far as I'm aware...) so here we go!

This is my first time doing modern studies since second year as I was recommended by my higher history teacher. What are everyone's thoughts on the course so far?

I am crashing Modern Studies this year and it is surprisingly easy! All the information is new to the rest of the class as well and i have gotten nearly full marks on all the essays even though they are riddled with errors.
My teacher talks a bit too much and it can get quite boring!
What is everyone doing for their international issue? We are studying south africa.
Original post by kawaii_panda101
hey, I really need help on techniques for learning the modern studies assignment to write up in class. I'm finding it so hard to remember all 2,000 words.any tips for memorising would be appreciated!
And how's modern studies going for everyone else?:smile:

Are you guys doing a report? Whats your topic?
We have ours in January so plenty time to prepare.
Original post by agirlcalledtheo
Are you guys doing a report? Whats your topic?
We have ours in January so plenty time to prepare.

Hey! Sorry I am so late to responding but my topic was Obesity in the UK. We did our final write up mid-November and it was awful, I wish I had until January but I got through it and managed to remember pretty much everything! What is your topic?
How's everyone getting on with modern studies? Feeling ready for the prelim?
Reply 7
Not at all! I think the sources will be my saving grace hahah. I'm crash highering it this year and its a lot more difficult than I imagined, so, if anyone has any tips or trick they are much appreciated.
Reply 8
Original post by Rossi71
Not at all! I think the sources will be my saving grace hahah. I'm crash highering it this year and its a lot more difficult than I imagined, so, if anyone has any tips or trick they are much appreciated.

I agree! The essays are so hard and time is so tight - source questions are gifts right now
Original post by spotandpatch
I'm crashing this course and it's going fairly well, but I've never actually done an assignment before and I'm not sure what to put on the source sheet. Can I put information or should it just be statistics, and how many different sources should I use?

Has anyone got any advice they can share with @spotandpatch ^ ?
Reply 10
Original post by Labrador99
Has anyone got any advice they can share with @spotandpatch ^ ?

Hiya we were told to use 6-8 sources and you have to use all that are on your sheet or you get penalised. You can have other info on the sheets tho as long as it isn’t sentences of part of your report as they then think you are just copying. It can be both sides of an A4 bit of paper. I hope this helps
Original post by Rossi71
Hiya we were told to use 6-8 sources and you have to use all that are on your sheet or you get penalised. You can have other info on the sheets tho as long as it isn’t sentences of part of your report as they then think you are just copying. It can be both sides of an A4 bit of paper. I hope this helps

Thanks for sharing this! @spotandpatch, see above :smile:
Original post by Rossi71

Thanks! :h: I'm considering switching topics because I'm not doing very well with the one I've chosen, but I don't know if it's too late. We're doing the assignment at the beginning of March
Reply 13
Original post by spotandpatch
Thanks! :h: I'm considering switching topics because I'm not doing very well with the one I've chosen, but I don't know if it's too late. We're doing the assignment at the beginning of March

I think if y are struggling with the topic change it as long as you are willing to put in the work for the new topic cause it’s going to be a quick turn around but the assignment is important and if you like the one you are doing you will write better about it.
Original post by Lucyy26
Hello! I am doing a crash higher in modern studies this year and I'm finding it okay so far but I don't think that'll last long ahaha

Really struggling with higher modern studies if anyone has any sample essays/ mindmaps or anything could they send them to me I am currently doing democracy in Scotland/uk, social issues and the USA
Original post by Carleendolan
Really struggling with higher modern studies if anyone has any sample essays/ mindmaps or anything could they send them to me I am currently doing democracy in Scotland/uk, social issues and the USA

:wavey:

I've just moved your posts into the equivalent discussion threads for this year (they had been put in the old versions), so hopefully someone will be able to help :smile: Check out this thread for all of the exam discussions for this year :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
:wavey:

I've just moved your posts into the equivalent discussion threads for this year (they had been put in the old versions), so hopefully someone will be able to help :smile: Check out this thread for all of the exam discussions for this year :smile:

Thanks a lot! Didn’t even realise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending