The Student Room Group

Picking a university - English

Hi,
I am looking mabye to go to university and would either do English or a combined degree with Journalism. What universities are the best for these courses? I also am doing an level 3 apprenticeship at the moment is it work doing a degree in English keeping in mind the cost of loans with interest. Looking for a Job in TV/Media though most job listings require a degree plus work experience.

I could save money but my main concern is that the loan maintence wise is not enough to live on. How many hours is English and how many hours would I be able to work.

The uni's I like the most are Derby and Gloucestershire. Any other universities that are good for English. I want somehwere thats a mix between a city and town. With losts of things to do and is affordable.

Will university be worth it for me? or get another job? Any English students advice will be welcome.

Sorry Long- winded but any advice given will be appreciated

Thanks
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year student at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, and I thought I would pitch in! I would seriously recommend considering Anglia Ruskin- our English courses are unique to our University. I study Writing and English Literature, which is exactly what it sounds like- 50% writing (creative!) and 50% English literature. The course is made up of dozens of modules, many of which include aspects of journalism that you can choose! You can choose from some of the following: news and feature writing, film journalism, fundamentals of publishing, working in English and media, and publishing in practice!

Here is the link if you are interested in the courses: https://aru.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/writing-and-english-literature

As for Cambridge, I think it is the perfect blend of town and city. The city centre isn't too complicated to learn where things are. It boasts 2 shopping centres, lots of tiny hidden bookshops, the beauty of Cambridge universities such as King's and Trinity College, and 4 theatres! The shops are always looking for part time workers to juggle when students come to uni and go home for summer, so you can get a job without too much hassle. There are some gorgeous little restaurants, cafes and bars that are hidden gems around Cambridge. The perfect place for students.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ARUStudents
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year student at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, and I thought I would pitch in! I would seriously recommend considering Anglia Ruskin- our English courses are unique to our University. I study Writing and English Literature, which is exactly what it sounds like- 50% writing (creative!) and 50% English literature. The course is made up of dozens of modules, many of which include aspects of journalism that you can choose! You can choose from some of the following: news and feature writing, film journalism, fundamentals of publishing, working in English and media, and publishing in practice!

Here is the link if you are interested in the courses: https://aru.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/writing-and-english-literature

As for Cambridge, I think it is the perfect blend of town and city. The city centre isn't too complicated to learn where things are. It boasts 2 shopping centres, lots of tiny hidden bookshops, the beauty of Cambridge universities such as King's and Trinity College, and 4 theatres! The shops are always looking for part time workers to juggle when students come to uni and go home for summer, so you can get a job without too much hassle. There are some gorgeous little restaurants, cafes and bars that are hidden gems around Cambridge. The perfect place for students.

Hope this helps! :smile:

After, looking thinking about Lancaster. Also, my biggest worry is student loan. Is it worth getting into debt for a degree?
Original post by loisb45
After, looking thinking about Lancaster. Also, my biggest worry is student loan. Is it worth getting into debt for a degree?

Hi Loisb45

When it comes to Student Finance for a Bachelors degree, it is totally personal to you. You've got to consider how much you'll be borrowing, how much you'll realistically be paying back and I'd also recommend checking if the universities you're looking at offer any scholarships, bursaries etc as that can really help lighten the load. :smile: For example, students at ARU can receive an ARU bursary.

I think the best place to weigh everything up about financing a degree is by looking at third party sites, like the ones I'm going to attach below...

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/student-finance
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/student-finance/how-much-debt-will-i-actually-get-into-by-going-to-university
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes/

I've checked - these links are all recently updated in 2019 and they are written by experts in the financial world like Martin Lewis. I think it's the best way to read up, weigh up and essentially make your decision if it's the cost that's starting to worry you.

Best wishes and good luck in your search for a uni!

Megan
#TeamARU

:s-smilie: p.s. Work out what really matters to you most and go from there! Then you can pick a university that you're confident is the right fit for you - the one that feels like home & one that focuses on getting you career ready by offering lots of experience and opportunity. You'll rest easy knowing you made the right decision. But it's all personal at the end of the day :s-smilie:
Original post by loisb45
Hi,
I am looking mabye to go to university and would either do English or a combined degree with Journalism. What universities are the best for these courses? I also am doing an level 3 apprenticeship at the moment is it work doing a degree in English keeping in mind the cost of loans with interest. Looking for a Job in TV/Media though most job listings require a degree plus work experience.

I could save money but my main concern is that the loan maintence wise is not enough to live on. How many hours is English and how many hours would I be able to work.

The uni's I like the most are Derby and Gloucestershire. Any other universities that are good for English. I want somehwere thats a mix between a city and town. With losts of things to do and is affordable.

Will university be worth it for me? or get another job? Any English students advice will be welcome.

Thanks

HI there,

At York you're expected to do around 37 hours of work a week, but most of this is independent study as our English course only has about 11 contact hours per week. We don't advise that you work more that 20 hours in that week, but because of the flexibility of our contact hours you'll have plenty of freedom to organise a part-time job alongside your study. Our Department of English is also very highly ranked - it was 2nd in The Times and Sunday Times 2019 Good University Guide and our English courses will allow you to analyse and interpret texts while also offering opportunities to focus on creative writing. Here's more information about our BA in English.

The city of York is also great for those who want the feel of a town but in a city. There's plenty of shops but there's also a lot of other experiences available, such as the York Minster, Jorvik Museum, Clifford's Tower, and the York Dungeons, and because we're up north you'll find that everything is very affordable.

If you're interested in going into the creative industries you may also be interested in our BA in the Business of the Creative Industries which will provide you with the opportunity to interact with some of our many business links within TV, film, and media, while also teaching you to be a leader in the industry. You can find out more about the contact hours and what this degree can offer you if you follow the link above.

I know you're also concerned about the cost of a degree, but as it's a very personal decision, I can only give you information about our scholarships and bursaries and let you know that it's about what's going to be right for you.

I hope this helps give you a little more information about the options available to you.

Steph :h:
Reply 5
Original post by University of York
HI there,

At York you're expected to do around 37 hours of work a week, but most of this is independent study as our English course only has about 11 contact hours per week. We don't advise that you work more that 20 hours in that week, but because of the flexibility of our contact hours you'll have plenty of freedom to organise a part-time job alongside your study. Our Department of English is also very highly ranked - it was 2nd in The Times and Sunday Times 2019 Good University Guide and our English courses will allow you to analyse and interpret texts while also offering opportunities to focus on creative writing. Here's more information about our BA in English.

The city of York is also great for those who want the feel of a town but in a city. There's plenty of shops but there's also a lot of other experiences available, such as the York Minster, Jorvik Museum, Clifford's Tower, and the York Dungeons, and because we're up north you'll find that everything is very affordable.

If you're interested in going into the creative industries you may also be interested in our BA in the Business of the Creative Industries which will provide you with the opportunity to interact with some of our many business links within TV, film, and media, while also teaching you to be a leader in the industry. You can find out more about the contact hours and what this degree can offer you if you follow the link above.

I know you're also concerned about the cost of a degree, but as it's a very personal decision, I can only give you information about our scholarships and bursaries and let you know that it's about what's going to be right for you.

I hope this helps give you a little more information about the options available to you.

Could you get away with less hours of study? Like 30 hours? Also wondering about student finance my main concern is the interest on the loan and will they cancel after 30 years or will that wipe be cancelled?
Reply 6
Original post by loisb45
Could you get away with less hours of study? Like 30 hours? Also wondering about student finance my main concern is the interest on the loan and will they cancel after 30 years or will that wipe be cancelled?

After 30 years, if you haven't paid it off by then, your student debt basically does not exist anymore - it's as if you never borrowed it in the first place.
You also only pay it back if you earn above a certain threshold, and then you only pay back a proportion of what you earn above the threshold - I don't remember the exact figures, but let's suppose the threshold was £25,000 a year, if you were earning £25,001 per year you'd pay back like 10p per year.
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
After 30 years, if you haven't paid it off by then, your student debt basically does not exist anymore - it's as if you never borrowed it in the first place.
You also only pay it back if you earn above a certain threshold, and then you only pay back a proportion of what you earn above the threshold - I don't remember the exact figures, but let's suppose the threshold was £25,000 a year, if you were earning £25,001 per year you'd pay back like 10p per year.

However, they can chnage this though it has stayed the same for years they could scrap it? When you think the amount of people who dont pay it back or am I overthinking?
Reply 8
Original post by loisb45
However, they can chnage this though it has stayed the same for years they could scrap it? When you think the amount of people who dont pay it back or am I overthinking?

They couldn't increase the debt you have though - worst-case scenario is that the time limit for paying it off is increased and/or the income threshold is reduced. But this may only impact students who start after a certain year.
Original post by loisb45

Hi there,

University is about the work you put in, so yes you could do 30 hours, but you wouldn't be getting the most out of your university experience. It's 100% up to you how much you study outside of planned contact hours, but we do recommend 37 hours per week.

Original post by Sinnoh

This is true, and it's unlikely that the terms of your loan will change once you start, as it's a contract. So, if at the time of your starting university, your loan plan says that the debt will be wiped in 30 years time, then that's likely to be true.

Hope this helps!

So I'm at Derby and I'm from Gloucestershire. Both cities are lovely (there's some good clubs and pubs and lots of shops) but they're not too busy. Derby is close to Nottingham but from experience Nottingham is manic compared to Derby. When you want a bit of fresh air in Derby, there's some beautiful parks within walking distance of the uni and its accomodations. When you want a bit of fresh air in Gloucestershire, it's not so easy to be honest. Derby is more central so it's easy to get anywhere in the country really. Because Derby Uni is right beside the city and all the halls of residence are in the city, it's really easy to get to a shop where you can get a job. As an English student, you'll have a lot of writing to do so I expect you'll have quite a lot of self study hours. It's not too expensive in Derby, I'd say it's slightly more expensive in Gloucester. Good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Iamatuniversity
So I'm at Derby and I'm from Gloucestershire. Both cities are lovely (there's some good clubs and pubs and lots of shops) but they're not too busy. Derby is close to Nottingham but from experience Nottingham is manic compared to Derby. When you want a bit of fresh air in Derby, there's some beautiful parks within walking distance of the uni and its accomodations. When you want a bit of fresh air in Gloucestershire, it's not so easy to be honest. Derby is more central so it's easy to get anywhere in the country really. Because Derby Uni is right beside the city and all the halls of residence are in the city, it's really easy to get to a shop where you can get a job. As an English student, you'll have a lot of writing to do so I expect you'll have quite a lot of self study hours. It's not too expensive in Derby, I'd say it's slightly more expensive in Gloucester. Good luck :smile:

WHats halls in derby like e.g the cost of accomodation e.g. halls?
Original post by loisb45
Hi,

Thanks

Hi, It's brilliant to hear that you're interested in studying at Derby.

We run excellent courses in English and Journalism here at Derby with teachers that really do go the extra mile. As a current third-year student studying Creative and Professional Writing myself, I have met many lecturers from across English courses and always found them to be extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

Derby is often described as a very affordable place to live allowing you to make the most of your student experience. The location of Derby is perfectly placed to allow for great links between other areas of the country, meaning future job prospects are within easy reach. Our Careers and Employment Service also works incredibly hard to get students to work experience and to make that dream job achievable at the end of your studies. Here’s a vlog by our graduate Anisha Johal, who like you, was interested in a career in the media and managed to get a summer work placement at BBC Radio after the first year of her BA (Hons) English degree.

The best way to really find out more about our courses and see if this is the place for you is to book onto one of our Open Days. Our next event will be on Saturday 11 January and you can book on here.
I hope this helps and please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. :smile:

^Katie
Original post by loisb45
WHats halls in derby like e.g the cost of accomodation e.g. halls?

Decent prices, anywhere you go you'll find the most expensive is probably the nicest but they're all well looked after and each one has its perks. I think it ranges from about £90-£150

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending