The Student Room Group

Want to study A levels

So currentlynim doing btec but I just want to self study A levels
Do u guys know where I can find books , resources, notes , anything would be great for ( for bio ,chem ,physics)
I tried searching libraries but I was not happy with what I found
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
which subjects? it’s definitely possible to do it from textbooks or online but if you want more specific help you’ve gotta be more specific
Reply 2
Original post by htmr
which subjects? it’s definitely possible to do it from textbooks or online but if you want more specific help you’ve gotta be more specific

biology chem and physics
Reply 3
sorry i can’t help on specifics then lol but maybe just try starting by searching for textbooks for the exam board and subject on amazon? have a look through reviews and find what’s best for you. i’m self studying too and i’ve found that youtube videos, especially from other students, have been insanely helpful :smile:
Original post by itachikage
biology chem and physics

There are definitely A level books on bio, chem and physics you can look online to find them for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biology-AQA-Student-Online/dp/1782943145/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=80745416856928&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=a+level+biology+books&qid=1576256686&sr=8-2

That is a biology one from Amazon but it really depends on your exam board and price range.
hope that helped :smile:
you will need to find a centre to take the exams through as there are required practicals
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
you will need to find a centre to take the exams through as there are required practicals

It's not for exams..I just want to get to know stuff
Reply 7
Original post by htmr
sorry i can’t help on specifics then lol but maybe just try starting by searching for textbooks for the exam board and subject on amazon? have a look through reviews and find what’s best for you. i’m self studying too and i’ve found that youtube videos, especially from other students, have been insanely helpful :smile:

Thanks man really appreciate it
in that case books and youtube videos is good
So currentlynim doing btec but I just want to self study A levels
Do u guys know where I can find books , resources, notes , anything would be great for ( for bio ,chem ,physics)
I tried searching libraries but I was not happy with what I found
Thanks

Are you currently doing applied science?
Original post by The-judge-16
Are you currently doing applied science?

Yep
Why exactly do you want to self-study but not take any exams?
Original post by Racsoix
Why exactly do you want to self-study but not take any exams?

I've mentioned it already.. I just want learn more stuff
I dont wanna lag behind just bcos my gcse got f'ed up due to illness
Yep

I was in a very similar position to you, I only achieved 6-5 in combined science, 5 in maths and 4 in English language. However I was very fortunate to change from applied science (which I found absolutely awful) to a levels in biology, chemistry and psychology. You could always consider changing sixth forms?
(edited 4 years ago)
I've mentioned it already.. I just want learn more stuff
I dont wanna lag behind just bcos my gcse got f'ed up due to illness

What do you want to go on to do? Do you need the knowledge you will gain from self-studying?
Original post by Racsoix
What do you want to go on to do? Do you need the knowledge you will gain from self-studying?

Yes , I want to get into medical school so I think it might be helpful ??
I was in a very similar position to you, I only achieved 6-5 in combined science, 5 in maths and 4 in English language. However I was very fortunate to change from applied science (which I found absolutely awful) to a levels in biology, chemistry and psychology. You could always consider changing sixth forms?

Idk If they do that and tbh I did IGCSE so mu grades are B in physics C in chem and biology and I completely missed math exam so I retook it last month and I actually asked a lot of scls but none offered A levels for me
Yes , I want to get into medical school so I think it might be helpful ??

Are you able to get in with your Applied Science btec? I'm not familiar with btecs really. If you are then sure, you can read up on the relevant bits. Would probably avoid physics if you don't need it though (unless you want to do something medical physics related?). Generally bio and chem will suffice and the third option is used to supplement learning as it's mandatory. Just search up some textbooks online and flick through whatever would be helpful. If you don't actually want to take exams in the subjects then you've got more freedom in terms of how to revise. I would still recommend doing some past paper questions to solidify your knowledge but it's not as essential as if you were doing the actual A level. Good luck.
Idk If they do that and tbh I did IGCSE so mu grades are B in physics C in chem and biology and I completely missed math exam so I retook it last month and I actually asked a lot of scls but none offered A levels for me

I’m sorry to hear that, all the best with everything though.
I’m sorry to hear that, all the best with everything though.

Thanks man.. gud luck to you to

Quick Reply

Latest