The Student Room Group

Should I take 4 A-Levels?

I'm currently taking Music, Maths, Economics and Physics for AS and will drop Music next year. I've recently discovered an interest for neuroscience but of course, you need at least two sciences to go down that path. Would you recommend self-studying the A level course for chemistry? (not the As exam of course since we're halfway through the year already) I'm up for the challenge but would like some extra thoughts
Hmm idk I’m actually doing 4 a levels rn in yr 13 and chemistry is one of them and trust me it’s a fat subject and idk how easy it would be to self study for it. Plus four a levels is a LOT of work esp in yr 13 so I get that doing chem might help for uni but pls think long and hard if it’s actually what you want to do. Feel free to pm if u have any more questions!
Original post by UrLocalATPmole
I'm currently taking Music, Maths, Economics and Physics for AS and will drop Music next year. I've recently discovered an interest for neuroscience but of course, you need at least two sciences to go down that path. Would you recommend self-studying the A level course for chemistry? (not the As exam of course since we're halfway through the year already) I'm up for the challenge but would like some extra thoughts

I’m currently doing 4 a levels including a level chem and honesty I would not recommend self study - I think it’s really important to have a teacher to help you to get a deeper understanding and therefore a decent grade. Unless you’re incredibly gifted and/or have a lot of spare time it would be very difficult although of course it is still possible - I’d recommend talking to some of the chem teachers (and maybe some other teachers that know you) at your school about it. Perhaps they would be able to give you some extra support if you choose to self study.
Original post by UrLocalATPmole

I'm going to take 4 a levels, and just wanted to re emphasise the point that if you do decide to self teach yourself chemistry, then you will have to start now and so you'll be studying 5 a levels till the end of AS. If it really does mean a lot to you, I would advise drop music now and continue with chemistry at home so then you can be up to scratch with chemistry. You could ask your head of year if you could sit an exam in September next year to decide whether you can join the chemistry class so you could learn with them. just my thoughts...

Quick Reply

Latest