The Student Room Group

Teacher is very discouraging :(

Hi guys

I study A level Biology, Chemistry and Literature. I want to study Medicine in the future. I have a mean Chemistry teacher that’s constantly telling me I won’t make it. I’m not doing too well currently but I’m familiar with the idea that a lot of students tend to underperform in their first year bc they’re adjusting to A levels and everyone pretty much has it difficult at the start.

My chemistry teacher is really cool and a good teacher. I like her a lot but when it comes to university, medical school, grades etc she becomes really mean. She’ll always drag my grades saying they’re too low. I’ve only been in the UK for 3/4 years and I’m very proud of my 7/6s.

For example, I asked her when I should apply for UCAT and she told me that I didn’t have 8/9s in my GCSEs anyway why bother. She said I should aim for medical school that have slight easier entry requirements. I totally get that I’ll obviously have to apply for a variety of medical schools just in case I don’t get my predicted grades. But I don’t get how that relates to me asking the dates for UCAT. I get that maybe she knows how difficult it is to get into medical school and that maybe she’s just trying to be realistic with me. But I just wish she could encourage me sometimes. Am I overthinking this?
Nah that ain't right of her. Ignore the haters, and tread on forward! Also check online for when's the right time to apply for UCAS I'm sure you'll find something on TSR also ask other science teachers too.
Reply 2
Dont you have to do UCAT for most medical schools? I'd plough on with your A levels and make sure you are doing well at the end of the year. Well done for recognising that lots of people struggle at times - its good to persevere.
My mother's a doctor and she told me when I was worried about GCSEs that she only had one teacher who said she could do it, and then she went and got top marks in everything and a place at her ideal univeristy. Some universities do take GCSE grades very seriously, and so she could be right that it might be difficult. However, there's a possibility if English isn't your first language, for example, or in similar circumstances that you could explain them that way. You should be proud of your grades, but you should also set yourself up to succeed by having a range of universities with different GCSE requirements, as you said. Perhaps speak to your biology teacher instead? It's horrible when someone doesn't believe in you. You can do it:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Dont you have to do UCAT for most medical schools? I'd plough on with your A levels and make sure you are doing well at the end of the year. Well done for recognising that lots of people struggle at times - its good to persevere.

Exactly what I thought too. Be it top medical school or not I need to do UCAT anyway. I’m just gonna try as hard as I can so I won’t regret anything. I wanna prove whatever idea she has of me wrong
Reply 5
Original post by Hiro2468
Nah that ain't right of her. Ignore the haters, and tread on forward! Also check online for when's the right time to apply for UCAS I'm sure you'll find something on TSR also ask other science teachers too.

I’ve got like pretty much everything planned I just gotta get good grades. Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by hoya.xj
Exactly what I thought too. Be it top medical school or not I need to do UCAT anyway. I’m just gonna try as hard as I can so I won’t regret anything. I wanna prove whatever idea she has of me wrong

Keep reading the medicine forums on here when you have some free time - you can learn a lot about admissions. Remember that you can apply post A levels which can help if past grades are not quite as strong as others and you get the A level grades. Do you meet minimum requirements for maths and English GCSE?
Reply 7
Original post by redmeercat
My mother's a doctor and she told me when I was worried about GCSEs that she only had one teacher who said she could do it, and then she went and got top marks in everything and a place at her ideal univeristy. Some universities do take GCSE grades very seriously, and so she could be right that it might be difficult. However, there's a possibility if English isn't your first language, for example, or in similar circumstances that you could explain them that way. You should be proud of your grades, but you should also set yourself up to succeed by having a range of universities with different GCSE requirements, as you said. Perhaps speak to your biology teacher instead? It's horrible when someone doesn't believe in you. You can do it:smile:

Yeah I thought of that too. Some universities tend to prefer a better score on A levels or UCAT. I’ll definitely need to have a range of universities I’ll be applying to. Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Keep reading the medicine forums on here when you have some free time - you can learn a lot about admissions. Remember that you can apply post A levels which can help if past grades are not quite as strong as others and you get the A level grades. Do you meet minimum requirements for maths and English GCSE?

Yeah I have the minimum requirements for maths and english. What’s post levels?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by hoya.xj
Yeah I have the minimum requirements for maths and english. But op I never heard of post a levels? What’s that? Is it based on universities or do all of them offer it? I’ve heard of pathways that offer reductions in required grades but not of post A levels.

I mean that you can apply after you have your A level results - so with actual achieved grades, as well as before sitting them.
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000
I mean that you can apply after you have your A level results - so with actual achieved grades, as well as before sitting them.

Wow why was I thinking it was some course. my brain isn’t functioning sorry. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest