The Student Room Group

Should I do an artefact or dissertation EPQ?

I want to study history or law (or maybe politics) at uni. I take History, Psychology and Latin a level and EPQ. I really want to do an essay because I feel like I’m not a very creative person and an artefact doesn’t sound like my thing and an essay feels like it would look better on a personal statement but my school is really discouraging me from doing it. Any thoughts on which I should do?
Original post by niamhcols
I want to study history or law (or maybe politics) at uni. I take History, Psychology and Latin a level and EPQ. I really want to do an essay because I feel like I’m not a very creative person and an artefact doesn’t sound like my thing and an essay feels like it would look better on a personal statement but my school is really discouraging me from doing it. Any thoughts on which I should do?

Why is your school discouraging you from doing an essay? Everyone I know who has done the EPQ has chosen to the essay, and when I was going to do it I was going to do the essay (I dropped it for health reasons).
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Why is your school discouraging you from doing an essay? Everyone I know who has done the EPQ has chosen to the essay, and when I was going to do it I was going to do the essay (I dropped it for health reasons).

They say that the current year 13s (I’m year 12) would recommend we do the artefact because it’s more interesting and you’ll get less bored and therefore do better (not in my opinion). My history teacher also said an artefact will be marked better because you’re developing a new skill- but I feel like surely an essay can’t be a bad thing
Original post by niamhcols
They say that the current year 13s (I’m year 12) would recommend we do the artefact because it’s more interesting and you’ll get less bored and therefore do better (not in my opinion). My history teacher also said an artefact will be marked better because you’re developing a new skill- but I feel like surely an essay can’t be a bad thing

Writing an essay can be really interesting. I was very interested in the topic I chose to research, and if you are interested in it you would want to delve deeper. I would say just do what you feel is right and don't be swayed by what other people are saying.
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Writing an essay can be really interesting. I was very interested in the topic I chose to research, and if you are interested in it you would want to delve deeper. I would say just do what you feel is right and don't be swayed by what other people are saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending