The Student Room Group

A level Biology and chemistry, A/A* students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katepoppy
I do OCR A too and I think the only way to cope is remember everyones in the same boat hahahahah no but on a serious note just do loads of past paper questions (use physics and maths tutor if you don’t already) and just get used to trying to identify what mark schemes are after by doing the papers and marking them

OCR is actually a struggle ughhh, I try and do past papers but I don't know the balance between using my flashcards to revise and past papers as there isn't much time left
Original post by hallaluliah
economics, geography and maths, been told to do FM but idk if i can do it lol

Perhaps if you enjoy biology as well, take that as an A Level instead of chemistry as it can open more doors.
I did further maths AS and got an A and to be fair, it was quite difficult and unless you’re really really sure of doing it and you’ve got a natural ability for it. Then I would suggest you do it. Other than that, don’t bother tbh.
Original post by bixol
I do the same exam board for bio aswell. And I can completely relate, I hate biology mark schemes. But here’s what to do for the big markets. Say a 4+ mark question asks “describe and explain the process of DNA replication” I would make flash cards based on the answer on the mark scheme. I’d recommend doing this for all the subtopic tests on the physics and maths tutor website. By the time you’ve done all the subtopic papers and summed the big markers into those flash cards, you’re prepared to tackle any question they throw at you.

that is a good shout, will definitely be implementing that into my revision routine thanksss
Original post by _jbello.10
that is a good shout, will definitely be implementing that into my revision routine thanksss

Also I forgot to mention. After I would finish a topic test and I mark it. I cut out what I got wrong. Stick it on a flashcards and write down the right answer from the mark scheme. Or just make a note of it somewhere, that way you’ll have a better understanding
Did you use other sites for past papers than physicsandmathstutor? Or would you say that is sufficient

I also use maths made easy a lot. They have resources for biology in terms of topic tests. And I also just print off many topic tests from a range of websites, as long as they’re towards the exam board I use.
Original post by Sumayyah.Akhtar
Also I forgot to mention. After I would finish a topic test and I mark it. I cut out what I got wrong. Stick it on a flashcards and write down the right answer from the mark scheme. Or just make a note of it somewhere, that way you’ll have a better understanding

so the general consensus is
- prioritise past papers
- difficult questions on the topic from the questions should be written on flashcards

anything else?
so the general consensus is
- prioritise past papers
- difficult questions on the topic from the questions should be written on flashcards

anything else?

Yep pretty much and just an extra one will probably be to
- Make clear notes relevant to the specification to actually learn the content before moving onto past papers
(edited 4 years ago)
Yep pretty much and just an extra one will probably be to
- Make clear notes relevant to the specification to actually learn the content before moving onto past papers

Okay Thankyou so much,
Good luck I hope you smash your exams!
I’m currently predicted an A* in Chemistry and Biology and this is just what I do.

So I usually start with making notes that are typically typed up after each lesson, or sometimes I make them ahead, so when the teacher teaches it in lesson, I’m already aware of the topic and it’s more of a recap.

I also refer to the specification a lot. A Levels (especially Biology) are very specific and when making notes etc, you need to ensure you’ve got all the information.
I then make flashcards based on that certain topic, condensing everything and making sure it’s relevant to the specification

Another thing that I tend to do is that I always do topic tests after making notes and learning them. This gives me an understanding of what area of the topics I’m weak on. Making myself aware of what to pay attention on and what to revise over again

Organisation is key too
I keep everything in specific subject folders in specific dividers for each topic. It helps to have everything condensed neatly on one page in my folder and in a few flashcards.

Also I use up my free’s. And always use them for revising and making notes etc. Ngl, there are times when I do mess around with friends.

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.
Okay Thankyou so much,
Good luck I hope you smash your exams!

Original post by The-judge-16
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

You’re both welcome. Hope I helped in some way and good luck for upcoming exams ☺️
Perhaps if you enjoy biology as well, take that as an A Level instead of chemistry as it can open more doors.
I did further maths AS and got an A and to be fair, it was quite difficult and unless you’re really really sure of doing it and you’ve got a natural ability for it. Then I would suggest you do it. Other than that, don’t bother tbh.

biology open more doors than chemistry :confused: i didn't know lol
biology open more doors than chemistry :confused: i didn't know lol

I meant the other way round sorry. Chemistry, as the central science, opens more options. However like I mentioned before, it’s all down to what field you want to enter/an idea of what course etc :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
I meant the other way round sorry. Chemistry, as the central science, opens more options. However like I mentioned before, it’s all down to what field you want to enter/an idea of what course etc :smile:

okay thank you, appreciate the help :smile:
okay thank you, appreciate the help :smile:

You’re welcome. Good luck with your GCSE’s ☺️
(Original post by Sumayyah.Akhtar)
You’re welcome. Good luck with your GCSE’s ☺️

and Good luck with ur a levels :s-smilie:
OCR is actually a struggle ughhh, I try and do past papers but I don't know the balance between using my flashcards to revise and past papers as there isn't much time left

So difficult isn’t it trying to find a balance between homework/revision and interview prep in my case as well
Original post by katepoppy
So difficult isn’t it trying to find a balance between homework/revision and interview prep in my case as well

Exactly it’s a struggle but we move

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending