The Student Room Group

A*A*A*A*A* student

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Which medical schools did you apply for and how did you decide which to firm?
Original post by mnot
Wow thats quite late to make the switch, what made you choose medicine on UCAS.

quite a lot of reasons, for the sake of brevity: I didn't want to work in an office after I did an internship with the SMF. I also grew to really love the science subjects towards the end of my AS year and fell in love with the idea of using science for practical benefit.

Original post by Muttley79
So you did modular A levels then? Four linear A levels are much more work and need different exam technique.

Yes modular. Perhaps, though you do sit fewer papers and if like my school you sat all the modular papers at the end of the year, first of AS and then A2 you could argue it is harder. That meant in my A2 year I sat: 2 history papers, 3 maths papers, 2 biology papers and 2 chemistry papers in the space of less than a month.

I don't agree the exam technique differs but yes arguably you have more content to learn. Having said that though if it is objectively more difficult this is usually reflected in lower grade boundaries. So whilst you might want to dismiss my grades as lucky or a product of the exam system, I am not sure the logic holds strongly.
Original post by Sh_A
Which medical schools did you apply for and how did you decide which to firm?

Oxford
Imperial
Kings
Southampton

I chose Oxford because I had really loved the idea of going there. Normally I wouldn't recommend 2 BMAT unis but I didn't do amazingly in UCAT so hedged my bets on a better BMAT (risky strategy) and was somewhat fortunate.
Original post by sammyj97
Did you do all 5 A-levels at the same time?

yes - although one was an EPQ so technically 4 and a half haha
Original post by HumblyBumbly
yes - although one was an EPQ so technically 4 and a half haha

how you finding medicine? x
Original post by PastelColours
how you finding medicine? x

Personally I love it!

I think it is a great degree to do if you know you want to do it.
Reply 26
Last year I got 5 A1s (equivalent to A*) in Scottish higher, but since Scottish qualifications are different I still must get AAB (standard entry, despite the B, due to Scottish qualifications being significant over 2 years) this year in advanced Highers to meet my Oxford conditions. Even though I’ve only had A1s in my 3 subjects (maths, physics and chemistry) so far, I can’t help but worry about it, and the worrying that I might do bad is holding me back from studying. I’m somebody who can do quite well with little revision, but of course some revision is definitely necessary and the more I do, the more likely I will succeed.

I’m confident for maths and am aiming for 100% this year (97% last year), so an A at like 70% seems very doable. However with physics (got like 90% last year) and chemistry (got like 95% last year) there’s a practical element which is marked with some ambiguity so I worry something could go wrong or I could get unlucky with the markers I get and I could get 2 Bs even if I get like >85% in the actual exam papers. I was wondering if you ever worried and how to get yourself to focus without panicking about failing? I know by doing 5 it would have helped you be comfortable with doing well in 3, but I was unable to continue my other 2 subjects, one I especially wanted wasn’t being run by my school.

Basically how do I get focused without feeling the pressure of destroying my future? Thanks :biggrin:.
And congrats on doing so amazing and studying medicine at such a good uni. I aspire to get perfect grades like you this year (in just 3 subjects though). :smile: How are you finding the uni workload?
Original post by Em.-.
Last year I got 5 A1s (equivalent to A*) in Scottish higher, but since Scottish qualifications are different I still must get AAB (standard entry, despite the B, due to Scottish qualifications being significant over 2 years) this year in advanced Highers to meet my Oxford conditions. Even though I’ve only had A1s in my 3 subjects (maths, physics and chemistry) so far, I can’t help but worry about it, and the worrying that I might do bad is holding me back from studying. I’m somebody who can do quite well with little revision, but of course some revision is definitely necessary and the more I do, the more likely I will succeed.

I’m confident for maths and am aiming for 100% this year (97% last year), so an A at like 70% seems very doable. However with physics (got like 90% last year) and chemistry (got like 95% last year) there’s a practical element which is marked with some ambiguity so I worry something could go wrong or I could get unlucky with the markers I get and I could get 2 Bs even if I get like >85% in the actual exam papers. I was wondering if you ever worried and how to get yourself to focus without panicking about failing? I know by doing 5 it would have helped you be comfortable with doing well in 3, but I was unable to continue my other 2 subjects, one I especially wanted wasn’t being run by my school.

Basically how do I get focused without feeling the pressure of destroying my future? Thanks :biggrin:.
And congrats on doing so amazing and studying medicine at such a good uni. I aspire to get perfect grades like you this year (in just 3 subjects though). :smile: How are you finding the uni workload?

Even though I'm not OP, I just want to say congratulations on your amazing grades & the best of luck in the future! :smile:
Original post by Em.-.

When I was in A2 I was in a very similar predicament and constantly felt stressed about getting even 1A*! So I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. In fact we had the internally assessed assessments too - the practical elements which were very ambiguous with regards to marking and whilst I could get 100% in an exam I was struggling in those papers because I had no idea what they actually were looking for. That caused me a lot of stress like yourself. But I don't know it all worked out in the end and honestly it seems like you very much are on track! So keep doing what you are doing and use your drive to keep yourself working hard.

Equally Uni workload is something you just learn to cope with
Reply 29
Thank you so much :smile:. Just need to get the grades one more time. 🥺
Reply 30
When I was in A2 I was in a very similar predicament and constantly felt stressed about getting even 1A*! So I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. In fact we had the internally assessed assessments too - the practical elements which were very ambiguous with regards to marking and whilst I could get 100% in an exam I was struggling in those papers because I had no idea what they actually were looking for. That caused me a lot of stress like yourself. But I don't know it all worked out in the end and honestly it seems like you very much are on track! So keep doing what you are doing and use your drive to keep yourself working hard.

Equally Uni workload is something you just learn to cope with

It’s annoying because the exams have pretty fixed marking schemes whereas the projects I have to do don’t, since people do different things and I just don’t know exactly what they’re looking for and opinions could differ on what’s good. I’d rather my grade conditions were A1, B, B since as I said I’m looking at getting 100% or close to it in maths, but A, A ,B means only one of my science projects can go wrong. I just need to remember I’ve always had A1s and aiming higher than the minimum grades makes them seem much more achievable. Besides at least I’m allowed 1 B. :smile: Just need to try and forget that an Oxford place is at stake and tell myself I want to do it for my own personal achievement to maintain my perfect exam certificate. It reassures me that you felt similar and still managed to ace the exams. Thanks. :wink:
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History and a politics EPQ

I study Medicine now :smile:

EPQ isn't a real A level. It's only Equiv to an AS.
Original post by vicvic38
EPQ isn't a real A level. It's only Equiv to an AS.

yes yes I have highlighted my awareness of this point (see below). Thank you for your kind reminder.

yes - although one was an EPQ so technically 4 and a half

Yes - I was aware I should have put a small a* for the final letter after I posted. That is a fair point and I should have been more careful.
yes yes I have highlighted my awareness of this point (see below). Thank you for your kind reminder.

What College are you at?
Original post by Em.-.
It’s annoying because the exams have pretty fixed marking schemes whereas the projects I have to do don’t, since people do different things and I just don’t know exactly what they’re looking for and opinions could differ on what’s good. I’d rather my grade conditions were A1, B, B since as I said I’m looking at getting 100% or close to it in maths, but A, A ,B means only one of my science projects can go wrong. I just need to remember I’ve always had A1s and aiming higher than the minimum grades makes them seem much more achievable. Besides at least I’m allowed 1 B. :smile: Just need to try and forget that an Oxford place is at stake and tell myself I want to do it for my own personal achievement to maintain my perfect exam certificate. It reassures me that you felt similar and still managed to ace the exams. Thanks. :wink:

The very best of luck - I am sure you will do well
Reply 35
I’ve started adult nursing and i really want to get the degree! Do you have any tips on assignments, posters, exams etc... revision tips! I want to aim high & i do give my 100% but i also feel weak because i’m anaemic... is there anything you recommend or advise in terms on uni prep and understanding things ☺️
You could edit the post to include the fact your 'fifth A*' is just an EPQ, and I'd also suggest putting down that your A Levels were modular not linear, as modular A Levels are easier to obtain higher grades for most exam boards and subjects. Congratulations though, hope Oxford is nice for you, I turned it down since it just didn't feel right.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ProbablyPallas
as modular A Levels are easier to obtain higher grades for most exam boards

Not really true but go off.
Original post by vicvic38
Not really true but go off.

Statistically, it is. Same with modular GCSEs. Yes the grade boundaries are altered to accommodate this, however not particularly drastically.
Original post by ProbablyPallas
Statistically, it is. Same with modular GCSEs. Yes the grade boundaries are altered to accommodate this, however not particularly drastically.

I did new GCSEs, and a mix of old and new A levels. They're not any harder. It's something the kids today are saying because they want to seem like big men.

Quick Reply

Latest