The Student Room Group

Is Major and Minor degree structure there in the University of Bristol

I have applied to and received an offer from the University of Bristol for Mechanical Engineering. As I have a tremendous interest in physics I was wondering whether or not it is possible to study 2 degrees at Bristol one for Engineering and the other for Physics. Is it possible to do a Major and Minor in the UK like the US?
There's no major and minor structure apart from languages. It is possible, however, to study 2 degrees, which are dual and combined degrees, but it depends if the uni lets you so I would contact them if there was any possible way to do so. If not, I would look at the course's optional modules and see if any have any physics aspects
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
There's no major and minor structure apart from languages. It is possible, however, to study 2 degrees, which are dual and combined degrees, but it depends if the uni lets you so I would contact them if there was any possible way to do so. If not, I would look at the course's optional modules and see if any have any physics aspects

Well, I did look at the course content. There was a lot of dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids, structure and maths. But I didn't come across quantum mechanics or relativity which I would like to study as well.
Original post by Samuditha
Well, I did look at the course content. There was a lot of dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids, structure and maths. But I didn't come across quantum mechanics or relativity which I would like to study as well.

I don't imagine you'll cover those topics in an engineering degree. There are, I believe, a few universities that offer a degree called "engineering physics" (I think Loughborough is one of them) which might include a quick look at them, though.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
I don't imagine you'll cover those topics in an engineering degree. There are, I believe, a few universities that offer a degree called "engineering physics" (I think Loughborough is one of them) which might include a quick look at them, though.

I didn't apply to Loughborough though. Also, can I do my master in physics at a top 10 world university if I get a first in mechanical engineering and have a very strong understanding of physics and maths even tough my undergraduate degree is in the engineering field.
Reply 5
I have applied to and received an offer from the University of Bristol for Mechanical Engineering. As I have a tremendous interest in physics I was wondering whether or not it is possible to study 2 degrees at Bristol one for Engineering and the other for Physics. Is it possible to do a Major and Minor in the UK like the US?

You might be able to take modules from another course as an option but idk if Bristol allow that
Also, can I do my master in physics at a top 10 world university if I get a first in mechanical engineering and have a very strong understanding of physics and maths even tough my undergraduate degree is in the engineering field.

I'm not sure, you'd have to check university entry requirements, and if they're a bit vague, maybe even contact university departments yourself.

So were u able to take a few modules for physics? I'm looking at bristol too for ee but also have a lot of interest in physics too

Quick Reply

Latest