The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Has anyone studied a Math or Eng degree with the Open University

What was/is your circumstance at the time? Did you study full or part time? What was the course like? Do you have any tips for a prospective student looking to study in these subject areas?
What was the application system like?
I would note all study at the OU is classified as part-time for fee purposes (even if you're studying full time equivalent intensity i.e. 120 credits in a year). You don't apply to the OU as such, you just register for the module you want to take - however some have prerequisites, and if you haven't studied those with the OU they may require you to speak with them and liaise with the department to assess your background and suitability for those modules. This is typically only the case with level 2 modules. Generally the course will be self directed, and they'll send you the materials to study in your own time.

You will have tutorials, which are strictly speaking optional, that you can sign up for throughout the year at scheduled times (they are available both online and in person), and an assigned tutor you can contact for help/advice throughout the course (usually by email but some might also take phone calls). There are also usually module-specific forums where you can discuss topics you are working on with other people taking the module and the various tutors for the module.

For assessment, throughout the year you'll have assessments usually along with a final exam (or for some module an end of module assessment, like a submitted piece of work). Assessments can be computer marked (basically computer based quizzes) or tutor marked (submitted work). Modules seem to often be marked on the basis that your final mark is the lowest out of either your exam or your continuing assessment marks, although sometimes it can be averaged across both (with different weightings for different components).
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I would note all study at the OU is classified as part-time for fee purposes (even if you're studying full time equivalent intensity i.e. 120 credits in a year). You don't apply to the OU as such, you just register for the module you want to take - however some have prerequisites, and if you haven't studied those with the OU they may require you to speak with them and liaise with the department to assess your background and suitability for those modules. This is typically only the case with level 2 modules. Generally the course will be self directed, and they'll send you the materials to study in your own time.

You will have tutorials, which are strictly speaking optional, that you can sign up for throughout the year at scheduled times (they are available both online and in person), and an assigned tutor you can contact for help/advice throughout the course (usually by email but some might also take phone calls). There are also usually module-specific forums where you can discuss topics you are working on with other people taking the module and the various tutors for the module.

For assessment, throughout the year you'll have assessments usually along with a final exam (or for some module an end of module assessment, like a submitted piece of work). Assessments can be computer marked (basically computer based quizzes) or tutor marked (submitted work). Modules seem to often be marked on the basis that your final mark is the lowest out of either your exam or your continuing assessment marks, although sometimes it can be averaged across both (with different weightings for different components).

Hi, Thankyou for your help and advice I am looking at studying with the OU but need to do a bit more research into the entry process
Original post by SN1PA
Hi, Thankyou for your help and advice I am looking at studying with the OU but need to do a bit more research into the entry process

There isn't really an entry process. You just register for the module, and arrange your payment method (e.g. loans from SFE). It's only if you're taking a non-introductory module that you may need to discuss your suitability for it first.

Quick Reply

Latest