The Student Room Group

Help deciding on firm/insurance for compsci degree?

I have offers from Manchester, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Leeds and Glasgow. I'd already ruled out Manchester and Edinburgh, Manchester due to not liking the feeling I got from the uni and Edinburgh due to the bad student satisfaction/support. My offers from Leeds, Glasgow and St Andrews are AAB/AAB/ABB respectively.

I've visited St Andrews and Leeds on the offer holder days and preferred St Andrews, and I'm visiting Glasgow in a couple weeks. I'm not overly interested in going into research immediately after my undergrad, I'd prefer to go into work. Does anyone have any particular advice for where I should choose? I'm leaning towards St A due to really liking the offer holder day and the feeling I got from the department, but if I firm it I won't have an insurance as it's my lowest offer, I'm not sure if that matters though. I'm predicted A*A*A*.
Reply 1
If you like St Andrews, then firm it. The alternative is firming a university that you don't like as much, which would be crazy.
Reply 2
Original post by StDave
If you like St Andrews, then firm it. The alternative is firming a university that you don't like as much, which would be crazy.

yeah i guess that’s the obvious thing to do. it was more whether i’d be losing out by not going to one of the others.
Reply 3
Original post by blackthrn
yeah i guess that’s the obvious thing to do. it was more whether i’d be losing out by not going to one of the others.

hi, I'm considering St Andrews this year for compsci - what did you end up choosing? :smile:
As someone who studied CS @ UoE, your gut feeling is certainly not spurious; the bad student support is reality.
Reply 5
Original post by jjgx
hi, I'm considering St Andrews this year for compsci - what did you end up choosing? :smile:

sorry for not replying, I never log on to here anymore! chose st andrews, super happy with it, they’ve been really good with covid stuff imo (got a refund on my accomodation after I decided to study from home, no issues), really enjoying the course and flexibility too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending