The Student Room Group

Car, insurance, court, witness summons help

I am going through a stressful time at the moment. It is about an event that happened nearly two years ago where I was accused of hitting someones car which I did not. This person has given me a threatening letter, taken it to the insurance, tried to take me to court and is now taking my insurance company to court. I'm assuming whatever decision was made the other party did not approve of, I do not know what this decision was as I was never informed. I have thought this whole nightmare was over time and time again but every time I just start to feel better it rears up again as I received a witness summons for May during university times. I'm an extremely nervous person, absolutely cannot speak in front of crowds and am terrified. I cannot see any way this could end well for me and fear they're have only sent this me to try and get me in trouble with the law and ruin my life. I have no idea what damage was caused to the other parties car, I do have a witness who saw me not hit another car but my car was pretty damaged as I had hit a tree which my witness saw and I have pictures of the tree missing its bark. I just don't know what to do, I'm terrified and it is all that I can think about. It was so long ago that I do not remember it that clearly but I do remember not knowing that I had actually hit the tree until I turned and saw it right behind my head (I reversed into it and it hit the drivers back bumper and side). And now I'm panicking because I didn't feel my car going into the tree.What should I do?
We are not qualified, for the most part, to give legal advice (and is probably why we don't have a section for it) and attempting to do so may cause you may damage than it's worth, I would recommend you speak to a solicitor.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nevershear
We are not qualified, for the most part, to give legal advice (and is probably why we don't have a section for it) and attempting to do so may cause you may damage than it's worth, I would recommend you speak to a solicitor.

this.
Reply 3
I'm kind of confused about the whole situation - is this person saying their car was involved in the "tree" incident?

Try not to stress about it. Did you supply a written statement for insurance purposes at the time? Re-read that, as it is what happened in your own words.
No I hit my car into a tree, no other cars were involved that. Whoever it was who is doing this wrote a threatening not on my car so I took it to the police and wrote a statement thing. I'm not sure what correct document name is here. The insurances got involved and as far as I was aware it was sorted a long time ago. I just don't understand why this person is taking my old insurance to court. Either they said I didn't do it and refused to pay out but all the information was sumbittes two years ago so what use am I now, or they said I did it and paid him (which is what I think has happened as I had a email a year ago that said I was at fault for an incident on that date but it was not specific to the tree or this person insurance claim (both would have happened at approx the same time) and in that case he won so whats the problem. My car had dents in it so it could have looked like i hit something other than a tree and my black box would have registered at least two hits (i hit the tree and didn't think i had, pulled forward, and hit it again). That and I was in sixth form in the road of a lot of traffic where we all parked and where I did see the remnants of several accidents, many near misses and a lot of arrogant young drivers. So I can see why it would just be easier to say I'm guilty and tbh I wouldn't care that much as I am not needing to drive now for a few years and the insurance would just sort it out. I just dont understand this persons need to put me through so much stress and worry while I am trying to study at university and build a life for my family and a career with enough money to support them while this person appears to be obsessed with throwing money at the legal system to win (I have no idea how much money because I don't know what the car was, nor what the damage was).
Original post by anonymous2012x
No I hit my car into a tree, no other cars were involved that. Whoever it was who is doing this wrote a threatening not on my car so I took it to the police and wrote a statement thing. I'm not sure what correct document name is here. The insurances got involved and as far as I was aware it was sorted a long time ago. I just don't understand why this person is taking my old insurance to court. Either they said I didn't do it and refused to pay out but all the information was sumbittes two years ago so what use am I now, or they said I did it and paid him (which is what I think has happened as I had a email a year ago that said I was at fault for an incident on that date but it was not specific to the tree or this person insurance claim (both would have happened at approx the same time) and in that case he won so whats the problem. My car had dents in it so it could have looked like i hit something other than a tree and my black box would have registered at least two hits (i hit the tree and didn't think i had, pulled forward, and hit it again). That and I was in sixth form in the road of a lot of traffic where we all parked and where I did see the remnants of several accidents, many near misses and a lot of arrogant young drivers. So I can see why it would just be easier to say I'm guilty and tbh I wouldn't care that much as I am not needing to drive now for a few years and the insurance would just sort it out. I just dont understand this persons need to put me through so much stress and worry while I am trying to study at university and build a life for my family and a career with enough money to support them while this person appears to be obsessed with throwing money at the legal system to win (I have no idea how much money because I don't know what the car was, nor what the damage was).

This is all very muddled and confusing. No-one here is qualified to give you legal advice on this case, and you should be wary of anyone who tries.
Original post by Reality Check
This is all very muddled and confusing. No-one here is qualified to give you legal advice on this case, and you should be wary of anyone who tries.

I just sat and read it through twice, and I still don't get exactly what's happening. :dontknow:

OP, talk to a solicitor or legal adviser about this, the Citizens Advice Bureau might also be a good shout.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I just sat and read it through twice, and I still don't get exactly what's happening. :dontknow:

OP, talk to a solicitor or legal adviser about this, the Citizens Advice Bureau might also be a good shout.

Yes, I had the same thing :smile: Good idea re. CAB.
Reply 8
I don't really get how you can't be clear on what the outcome of these claims is - this is something you need to get clear before you go to court. Contact the insurance company so you have a good picture before you actually go to court. The only real advice I can give as a non-legal person (but one who has been through a small claims court) is that you should be clear on what did or didn't happen when asked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending