The Student Room Group

title changed: BTECS are CANCELLED!!! (PLEASE read)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pharyngotympanic
Are you complaining because you can still carry on your education relatively normally and don't get a several month 'summer holiday'?

No I think that they are complaining that they will actually to WORK to earn their qualifications unlike the A-level and GCSE students who were meant to sit their exams this year and despite this the A-level and GCSE students who were meant to sit their exams but didn't, their qualifications will hold the same value and that's the unfair part COVID-19 or no COVID-19.
Reply 21
Original post by 1st superstar
No I think that they are complaining that they will actually to WORK to earn their qualifications unlike the A-level and GCSE students who were meant to sit their exams this year and despite this the A-level and GCSE students who were meant to sit their exams but didn't, their qualifications will hold the same value and that's the unfair part COVID-19 or no COVID-19.

Thank you for understanding :smile:
Original post by Coordinate
you're a clown

its called a pandemic

we both do the same thing, we're both the same age, we both have stress.

what the **** do you not understand?

Original post by YasudaSayo
I chose to be tested thoroughly but periodically to avoid the stress that I experienced during GCSEs. I didn't choose to learn from a 5 slide powerpoint and be tested with no support during a global pandemic while everyone else gets to chill out for over half a year. And yeah, no **** we want the same treatment. I really don't see your point.

Exactly they will be chilling and I will have to learn 4-6 months or content with no face-to-face support from teachers but I just need to roll with it I guess
Original post by YasudaSayo
Thank you for understanding :smile:

Np ngl I will be annoyed if the grade boundaries don't get lowered next year!! Lower them please Ofqual
Reply 24
Original post by Xarao
Literally irrelevant points. Enjoy doing your coursework :

yh you can **** off you dumbass

Plenty of those A-level and GCSE students will end up getting grades that will mess their plans up. OP should be grateful that whatever grades they get will be representative of what they deserve. Anyway, nobody is actually forcing OP to do any work.
Plenty of those A-level and GCSE students will end up getting grades that will mess their plans up. OP should be grateful that whatever grades they get will be representative of what they deserve. Anyway, nobody is actually forcing OP to do any work.

No is but they need to if they want to get a good grade unlike the students who were meant to sit their exams this year...
I disagree, unlike A level students, most of us still have a chance to get the grade we want, as long as we get our coursework done, imo we are in a much better position than A level students, we are not at the mercy of our tutors.
No is but they need to if they want to get a good grade unlike the students who were meant to sit their exams this year...

Well life isn't fair and actually having to do work to get what you deserve is a life skill best kept up. There are already too many entitled lazy s h its around. OP should see the advangates such as a) keep the work ethic/mindset going until they reach the next stage in their education/career and b) getting the grades they deserve instead of the grades a teacher thinks they deserve. I just can't believe you and OP are whinging when there are thousands of students who would give anything to have control over their final grades.
Reply 29
I get @Xarao 's point, but it's such a shame he said it so abruptly and frankly rudely.

I do two Level 3 BTEC qualifications, one of which is a foundation diploma and another an extended certificate. Either way - it's a sh$$ ton of work and is NOT easy by any means. I'm actually very generous to the fact I do BTEC qualifications and also the the GOVT's choice, because I'm a good student and have worked hard to hit each deadline achieving Distinction. I'm well on track for a D* in both, and my teachers know that. Therefore, the final external assessments (exams) will be predicted, while the coursework will be acknowledged.

This means that OUR coursework is counted for! Whilst our exams are predicted! Now, I think this is good - because I have hit all my deadlines which leaves only external assessments left... I find it hard to believe that the BTEC students in this group are angry that they aren't assessed PURELY on predictions... Considering all assignments should effectively be complete by this point, with maybe only a couple in the pipeline.

Whilst we're all human - A Level students are different! A Level students have no formal assessments that show their progressive workings, whilst us BTEC students base our entire grade off these things... If you're a good BTEC student you have nothing to worry about. This is a double-edged sword, and those who don't try or haven't tried will be the ones suffering.
Well life isn't fair and actually having to do work to get what you deserve is a life skill best kept up. There are already too many entitled lazy s h its around. OP should see the advangates such as a) keep the work ethic/mindset going until they reach the next stage in their education/career and b) getting the grades they deserve instead of the grades a teacher thinks they deserve. I just can't believe you and OP are whinging when there are thousands of students who would give anything to have control over their final grades.

They could have delayed exams (despite the knock-on effects it would have had) or they could have cancel BTEC exams for some BTECs you have to be in school and can't do the work at home. For subjects these how do know whether you did the work or whether someone did it for you?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 31
yh you can **** off you dumbass

:rofl:
Original post by LeMetalhead
I disagree, unlike A level students, most of us still have a chance to get the grade we want, as long as we get our coursework done, imo we are in a much better position than A level students, we are not at the mercy of our tutors.

Somewhat fair point but still...
Our coursework is still being affected, i have several new units that i haven’t been taught, an exam that was meant to take place at the end of April. We are getting limited info from the government. At least with A levels you have the certainty as to what will happen and what to expect. The government hasn’t or has hardly mentioned BTEC as some BTECs do have exams

Hope everyone a level or BTEC gets through this difficult time whatever you are studying, hope it doesn’t affect your future plans
Original post by Lshort17
Our coursework is still being affected, i have several new units that i haven’t been taught, an exam that was meant to take place at the end of April. We are getting limited info from the government. At least with A levels you have the certainty as to what will happen and what to expect. The government hasn’t or has hardly mentioned BTEC as some BTECs do have exams

Hope everyone a level or BTEC gets through this difficult time whatever you are studying, hope it doesn’t affect your future plans

Same goes for resit and private students
They could have delayed exams (despite the knock-on effects it would have had) or they could have cancel BTEC exams for some BTECs you have to be in school and can't do the work at home. For subjects these how do know whether you did the work or whether someone did it for you?

Well whether someone cheats isn't my problem, and what's done is done. If OP wants to get someone to do the work on their behalf and then turn up at university/job looking like an unqualified idiot, that's on them. I repeat, OP has the chance to get the grades they deserve, be in control of their future and have the benefit of not having their mind rotting for months with nothing to do. If OP would rather sit on TSR and whinge about the opportunity others would like to have, fair enough. I hope it all works out splendidly for them.
Well whether someone cheats isn't my problem, and what's done is done. If OP wants to get someone to do the work on their behalf and then turn up at university/job looking like an unqualified idiot, that's on them. I repeat, OP has the chance to get the grades they deserve, be in control of their future and have the benefit of not having their mind rotting for months with nothing to do. If OP would rather sit on TSR and whinge about the opportunity others would like to have, fair enough. I hope it all works out splendidly for them.

If anything it should be the A-level and GCSE students who were meant to sit their exams this year but didn't who should be classified as "unqualified idiots" (using your words). This year will always be remembered as the year whereby no official A-level or GCSE exams were sat and I hope that employers take this into account when hiring these groups of people (if I was an employer I would certainly not hire these groups of people (depending on what job I have))
Original post by Xarao
They are not the same thing. You're clearly upset because you was already doing awful and just want to laze around.

1. No proof or evidence of this at all.

There actually is - UCAS noted that only a very small number of predictions are underestimates. Many of which are overestimates. Though those from disadvantaged backgrounds are more likely to be underpredicted.
Reply 38
Please check the title of the thread, Btecs have actually been cancelled. More details in the link provided from Edexcel.
Please check the title of the thread, Btecs have actually been cancelled. More details in the link provided from Edexcel.

GOOD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending