The Student Room Group

Students Staying at Uni for Coronavirus: How's it going?

While universities start encouraging students to return home, some of us are better off staying at university, rather than risk infecting vulnerably family members at home. Furthermore, some international students are unable to travel home due to cost or other countries going into lockdown. :frown:

So if you are staying at uni for the time being, how's it going? :redface:

How supportive have you found your university to be?

What services are remaining open for you?

Are many of your friends staying or are you going to be on your own?

Let us know below. :colondollar:

It's going okay actually, struggling a bit with food shops though, all the supermarkets are empty so I feel like I might be living off takeaways for the next couple of weeks haha. There's a few people here, three of my flatmates, though one is moving out at the weekend, and a couple of other friends in other flats. Trying to get rid of boredom by board game nights and tiny house parties haha.

The university's being as helpful as they can be with the limited information, it's annoying not knowing what's going to happen with exams, but I guess all I can do is wait :confused:

The SU has also been giving away products that can expire like milk, eggs, and veg away for free which I thought was really nice!
Original post by wastedcuriosity
It's going okay actually, struggling a bit with food shops though, all the supermarkets are empty so I feel like I might be living off takeaways for the next couple of weeks haha. There's a few people here, three of my flatmates, though one is moving out at the weekend, and a couple of other friends in other flats. Trying to get rid of boredom by board game nights and tiny house parties haha.

The university's being as helpful as they can be with the limited information, it's annoying not knowing what's going to happen with exams, but I guess all I can do is wait :confused:

The SU has also been giving away products that can expire like milk, eggs, and veg away for free which I thought was really nice!

I'd say mid-week next week is probably enough time for uni departments to have more robust plans in place regarding exams. :yep:
At the moment I am staying in halls because I don't want to risk infecting my mother, as she is vulnerable. I'm a bit miffed that I can't go home as my uni is offering refunds to those that do, but her health comes above all other concerns for me.

What do you think Unis will do if the outbreak is still ongoing by the time our accommodation contracts end? Will they chuck us out even if, for some of us, it would be impossible to go home?

My uni hasn't really done loads to support us other than keep certain accommodation services running.

The launderette is remaining open, but I think that's pretty much it.

There are a couple of international students in my flat, but apart from them, most people have gone home.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 782446389
At the moment I am staying in halls because I don't want to risk infecting my mother, as she is vulnerable. I'm a bit miffed that I can't go home as my uni is offering refunds to those that do, but her health comes above all other concerns for me.

What do you think Unis will do if the outbreak is still ongoing by the time our accommodation contracts end? Will they chuck us out even if, for some of us, it would be impossible to go home?

My uni hasn't really done loads to support us other than keep certain accommodation services running.

The launderette is remaining open, but I think that's pretty much it.

There are a couple of international students in my flat, but apart from them, most people have gone home.
If your contract ends while social distancing and restricted travel guidance is still in place then the university would (I expect, no promises) likely offer you an extension to your contract, this may involve you moving to a different room or block and the contract may extend for the whole of summer. They'll often have a small number of students staying over summer anyway, so this should be something they can provide - it likely won't be free though.
Original post by 04MR17
While universities start encouraging students to return home, some of us are better off staying at university, rather than risk infecting vulnerably family members at home. Furthermore, some international students are unable to travel home due to cost or other countries going into lockdown. :frown:

Still in university for my sins :lol: Lots of uncertainty but considering the situation, it has not been too bad. The university has been giving periodic updates but I suspect they have been working hard to figure out what to do as well - as the updates have not been particularly helpful other than stay put and wait for more information. We may need to move to another hall soon (according to rumours) but I am hoping they give us sufficient advanced notice because would need to pack. Still have deadlines next week so need to be worrying about that as well. A lot of my friends are leaving but a couple have stayed (mostly seems to be because of cancelled flights). I am planning on staying for the duration.
My motivation's fell off a cliff and I had to cancel grabbing a pint with the crush. Animal crossing came out tho. Overall mood: 3/10.

Support from the uni has been sort of variable by module, but then I do some very disparate stuff (a creative writing module, some biblical Hebrew and 2 philosophy modules this semester) that cross 2 departments and some quite different assessment techniques. Philosophy's done **** all useful, the hebrew lot have been lovely and communicative which is nice, but the course convener's total honesty has revealed that nobody really knows what's going on. Which ain't great. Creative writing lot extended all the deadlines by a week, love those folk. Support: 4/10 until somebody from philosophy notices the deadlines as they are totally suck.

Only uni service that's stayed open is the library. Courses all moved online, the gym shut, the unions cancelled pretty much all events. Course stuff is all that really applied to me anyway so can't say I'm fussed. 6/10. I'd imagine accommodation stuff for the freshers is still going, but don't really know or care as it doesn't affect me or anybody I know.

My flatmates are stuck with me: One's a uni dropout that lives here near-permanently anyway and the other's a good few hundred miles away from his hometown. So I have friends, which is nice.
Original post by 04MR17

I'm staying until the end of the lease on my accommodation, I've already paid and if I go home I'll be stuck in the house as my mum is classed as a vulnerable person. However, I'm now stuck with my two least favourite flatmates, one of whom I have only spoken to 4 times since September and the other is a complete slob. Both don't clean up after themselves or ever wash their hands so I'm trying to promote hygiene in the flat through the use of passive-aggressive notes.

Other than that, I'm actually rather motivated to get my uni work that being said it's only been a week.

My uni has been communicating what's going on every day and I it's great how they've managed to work this all out so quickly but I've had that many emails I haven't actually read them all yet. At the moment the uni building is still open for the library etc so that's good.

Luckily I already had a 'stock pile' of various pasta so I'm ok for food for a few weeks. Good job as the local Tesco has been ransacked.
I'm not the most social person anyway so in terms of social distancing my life hasn't been that much different.
In staying at uni just because it's not worth the risk of going through two big cities to get home.
It would have been nice to go home in during Easter, especially as the uni is actually closed so there is little point being here but it is what it is.
Original post by 04MR17

How’s it going?

- It’s fine, yeah. I’m an international student in Canada and Canada’s not really as hard hit as home (UK) so I think we’re managing things well for now. Although, this is definitely tough mentally. I study at U of T and am at Massey College, which is pretty quiet now so the isolation’s tough for sure.

- As supportive as they can be, for sure.

- Most things. The college is still functioning and the stores are still open and stocked.

- Quite alone but some friends remain.
I'm going home today and isolating myself there for the forseeable future; taking most of my stuff. My halls owner (Unite Students) are letting students end their tenancy agreements but they'll still have to pay rent for April and May regardless, so I might as well keep this room until it runs out. Have to get two trains to get home (not via London) - going to do everything I can to keep 2 meters away from absolutely everyone and avoid touching handrails, etc. It's for the best, because if Johnson does enforce an Italy/France-esque lockdown, I'll be stuck here pretty much by myself.
Reply 11
I'm still here at uni and the library thankfully is still open although reduced hours from 9-5.

Although there's no certainty if they would remain open next week.
Original post by 04MR17
If your contract ends while social distancing and restricted travel guidance is still in place then the university would (I expect, no promises) likely offer you an extension to your contract, this may involve you moving to a different room or block and the contract may extend for the whole of summer. They'll often have a small number of students staying over summer anyway, so this should be something they can provide - it likely won't be free though.

What advice would you give me? I am kinda anxious as (but understanding there are bigger things to worry about).

1.) I left lots of things in my room as I didn't have time to clear it all out. Especially as I don't have anyone to drive me ( I travel to uni by coach) :frown:. My rooms pretty full. Accommodation contract finishes end of June.

Also haven't sorted out my accommodation for third year. Have no motivation to do so now tbh, and I felt let down by uni when they told me that I couldn't reapply to Halls (catered) because applications for 2nd years was Feb-March. Kinda crappy for me I didn't have things figured out that early, only realised I don't like living out of halls as much like 20 days ago.

Atm I am trying to focus on my coursework as thats the most important thing
Original post by SuperHuman98
What advice would you give me? I am kinda anxious as (but understanding there are bigger things to worry about).

1.) I left lots of things in my room as I didn't have time to clear it all out. Especially as I don't have anyone to drive me ( I travel to uni by coach) :frown:. My rooms pretty full. Accommodation contract finishes end of June.

Also haven't sorted out my accommodation for third year. Have no motivation to do so now tbh, and I felt let down by uni when they told me that I couldn't reapply to Halls (catered) because applications for 2nd years was Feb-March. Kinda crappy for me I didn't have things figured out that early, only realised I don't like living out of halls as much like 20 days ago.

For next year, if you don't have a group of would-be housemates to share wjth, maybe look into private halls?

As for the stuff in your room, you won't be the only one in this position. Send an email to the accommodation office asking for advice about this would be my best suggestion. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
For next year, if you don't have a group of would-be housemates to share wjth, maybe look into private halls?

As for the stuff in your room, you won't be the only one in this position. Send an email to the accommodation office asking for advice about this would be my best suggestion. :smile:

Ooo I should have said. Its a house not halls
Ooo I should have said. Its a house not halls
Okay so instead of contacting the accommodation office, contact the landlord/landlady. :smile:
Im finding it really difficult to stay motivated at the moment. We're now in an early half term whilst they sort out the technical issues they were experiencing with online teaching and how exams and are to be sorted out. Meaning we're unlikely to hear any updates for a further month.

All of our teaching is going to go ahead when half term is over where we'd normally have time for revision. I planned to get two of my essays written during the holidays but one of them I've literally had two classes on and no reading list, so I have absolutely no idea where to start with it.

I've just been stressing a lot as of lately, it's getting to me quite a bit. Been trying to email the SU help services but it usually takes them a while to get back as it is. Though I can imagine they're quite overloaded as of now.
Original post by MidgetFever
Im finding it really difficult to stay motivated at the moment. We're now in an early half term whilst they sort out the technical issues they were experiencing with online teaching and how exams and are to be sorted out. Meaning we're unlikely to hear any updates for a further month.

All of our teaching is going to go ahead when half term is over where we'd normally have time for revision. I planned to get two of my essays written during the holidays but one of them I've literally had two classes on and no reading list, so I have absolutely no idea where to start with it.

I've just been stressing a lot as of lately, it's getting to me quite a bit. Been trying to email the SU help services but it usually takes them a while to get back as it is. Though I can imagine they're quite overloaded as of now.
You should really get some information about exams in less time than a month. Staff will still be working over the Easter vacation, ordinarily they'd be focused on research at this time but at the moment most will just be concentrating on providing for students. :redface:
Reply 18

I'm in the same position. I've emailed my accommodation about getting a possible partial refund but even if a refund is possible, it's a six hour coach journey from my uni to home so it's a catch 22 situation. Normally, my nan helps me move out and I don't want to risk her health by making her take such a long trip too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending