The Student Room Group

Are Year 10 and 12s being forgotten about by the Government?

Poll

If you're in Year 10 or 12, do you feel forgotten by the government?

With everything going on at the moment and the recent announcements of school and exam closures so much has changed so quickly. However, although we have heard at least the initial plans for GCSE and A-level exam plans, undoubtedly all year groups are affected.

I wanted to know if students in Year 10 and 12 felt they had been given enough information regarding their learning and the impact that the school closures are likely to have on your learning. What is likely to be the impact on you when the schools reopen and you have missed a term worth of lessons with teachers face to face? Do you think there are any possible disadvantages when you return to school and do you think your next year should be assessed differently when it's your turn to tackle your GCSE or A-levels?

How are you finding working from home, are you managing to do all the work you are being set and staying motivated? Do you access to all the resources you need including good quality internet connection?

Scroll to see replies

No offense to them, but at the moment, they aren't a priority. Let everyone work out what is happening with the exams and then focus on how Y10s and Y12s could be helped. Even then, I don't see what help they could be given.

They will just have to learn how to self-teach content but it is possible. Everyone is going through the same situation in terms of having to self-teach the content.
My main concern is securing work experience in an already competitive field such as Denitistry. A lot of my friends want to go into Medicine and have had alll of their work experience and volunteering cancelled. Now it's much more difficult to make your application stand out.
Also, what about the UKCAT and BMAT exams this year? Are they cancelled too? Would the application for UCAS be delayed then? Government hasn't made things like that clear yet.
To be fair, most of the content I learned for what would have been my GCSEs this year, I learned in Year 10. That includes subjects like the sciences, history and maths. I’m not sure how I’d teach myself all that content without being in a classroom environment tbh. But that’s just my two cents.
I prefer working alone at home, it gives me the freedom to focus on what i need to rather than having teachers on your back all the time. I'm glad I'm not in year 11 or 13, especially 11 because the grades my teachers would have given me would have been much lower than what I actually got.

We should consider ourselves very lucky that we missed both what the year 11s and 13s are experiencing. Now we have loads of free time to focus on whatever we want and make sure we are prepared for next year. This is good for people who are good at self-studying but pretty bad for those who learn through teachers.

UCAS deadlines for oxbridge and medicine do need to be pushed back to give schools enough time to prepare. Hopefully all goes well.
As above Year 10 and Year 12s are not a priority right now we might as well add Year 9s or even Year 6 (for SATs) to this

but yeah Year 11 and 13s are the focus right now, then deal with Year 12, 10 and 9
My main concerns is my physics practicals I'm supposed to do in yr 12 and my history coursework but mostly the practicals
Reply 7
Try being a year 12 in Wales. AS still counts towards A Level and we haven't got a clue what's going on.
Reply 8
Original post by Evil Homer
With everything going on at the moment and the recent announcements of school and exam closures so much has changed so quickly. However, although we have heard at least the initial plans for GCSE and A-level exam plans, undoubtedly all year groups are affected.

I wanted to know if students in Year 10 and 12 felt they had been given enough information regarding their learning and the impact that the school closures are likely to have on your learning. What is likely to be the impact on you when the schools reopen and you have missed a term worth of lessons with teachers face to face? Do you think there are any possible disadvantages when you return to school and do you think your next year should be assessed differently when it's your turn to tackle your GCSE or A-levels?

How are you finding working from home, are you managing to do all the work you are being set and staying motivated? Do you access to all the resources you need including good quality internet connection?

I am currently a year 12, and I am hugely fortunate that I;
-Attend a college with a very strong IT infrastructure, and so I don't have problems accessing any materials I need, and lessons are still continuing online. I also have a large number of textbooks.
-Am highly self-motivated and am used to teaching myself content (for example, I got a 9 in GCSE Geography by teaching myself the specification due to not having a regular teacher for the majority of year 11).

However, I know that there are many year 12 and year 10's that are definitely feeling very forgotten, and uncertain with what to do. I also feel that many people find it hard to concentrate at home, or are in a home environment which makes it hard for them to focus on their A levels.

A list of points for those of you claiming we Year 12s 'aren't the priority right', to remind you that Year 12 is a very significant year. We now;
-Have no university open days/they are pushed back, harder for us to make an informed choice.
-Have had our work experience mostly cancelled (this is especially significant for those applying to courses like medicine, as @ghostmalone said above).
-Have had our mocks postponed-how will our predicted grades for universities work with this?
-Have had a large amount of activities that we could have done which would have been crucial for our personal statement basically deleted, we only have half personal statement pretty much.
-Have an uncertain exam future as we don't know how our mocks are going to go ahead, how our university application will work, and how our actual A levels will go ahead.

Regardless of what year you are in, or what qualification you are currently studying for, I wish you the best of luck in getting through this, you can do this :smile:!
The TSR demographic would differ I guess from the actual student population judging by the celebrations some are throwing lol
Reply 10
Original post by Starlight15
As above Year 10 and Year 12s are not a priority right now we might as well add Year 9s or even Year 6 (for SATs) to this

but yeah Year 11 and 13s are the focus right now, then deal with Year 12, 10 and 9

I completely disagree. Year 12 (and year 10 to a lesser but still important extent), are significantly more important than Year 9 (although I understand this does depend on what school you go to and how the course is run). Year 12 is the year which really decides whether you get offered a place with a university (year 13 is the really the year to consolidate that place).
I'm in a similar situation as I thoroughly enjoy self-study. However, some subjects (especially languages) are very difficult without a teacher. Fitting in all the content next year will be hard for the schools to do as well I feel reckon the grade boundaries will be lower next year as overall marks will probably be lower. Great for those students aiming for grade 9's though!
(edited 4 years ago)
Year 12 in Wales have AS exams so I'd say we're also disadvantaged, as we need UMS which can't be sorted with a predicted grade
Original post by Treetop321
No offense to them, but at the moment, they aren't a priority. Let everyone work out what is happening with the exams and then focus on how Y10s and Y12s could be helped. Even then, I don't see what help they could be given.

They will just have to learn how to self-teach content but it is possible. Everyone is going through the same situation in terms of having to self-teach the content.

what about year 12's in N.I and wales or Y12 BTEC students? looks like they've been harder than their year 13 peers. Oh dear " I don't see what help they could be given" what about lower grade boundaries, delaying the uni application deadline date, not doing uni offers based on work experience, offering online classes (mainly for Y10 and Y12) like they do in other countries and some schools in the UK etc? so much more can be done sorry!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Zoqua
I am currently a year 12, and I am hugely fortunate that I;
-Attend a college with a very strong IT infrastructure, and so I don't have problems accessing any materials I need, and lessons are still continuing online. I also have a large number of textbooks.
-Am highly self-motivated and am used to teaching myself content (for example, I got a 9 in GCSE Geography by teaching myself the specification due to not having a regular teacher for the majority of year 11).

However, I know that there are many year 12 and year 10's that are definitely feeling very forgotten, and uncertain with what to do. I also feel that many people find it hard to concentrate at home, or are in a home environment which makes it hard for them to focus on their A levels.

A list of points for those of you claiming we Year 12s 'aren't the priority right', to remind you that Year 12 is a very significant year. We now;
-Have no university open days/they are pushed back, harder for us to make an informed choice.
-Have had our work experience mostly cancelled (this is especially significant for those applying to courses like medicine, as @ghostmalone said above).
-Have had our mocks postponed-how will our predicted grades for universities work with this?
-Have had a large amount of activities that we could have done which would have been crucial for our personal statement basically deleted, we only have half personal statement pretty much.
-Have an uncertain exam future as we don't know how our mocks are going to go ahead, how our university application will work, and how our actual A levels will go ahead.

Regardless of what year you are in, or what qualification you are currently studying for, I wish you the best of luck in getting through this, you can do this :smile:!

wwwwhhhhyyyy can't my lessons be done online!!! I've just been set bookwork, past papers, powerpoints to copy from and homework booklets which I can't print!!! I want online lessons... 😫😫😫
I PM’d :smile:
What do you mean the y11s and y13s should be priortiised? They've already been told what will happen. With all due respect, yes i can understand for many people it is hugely frustrating you got lower grades than you were hoping, but at least you got a grade. We haven't got any grades, and somehow the government is expecting everything to be tickety-boo when we return, despite most schools not having any online lessons, low motivation to revise etc provide clarity. Cancel next year's exams if need be. we are going to miss SO much content, all my teachers are worried. not to mention we are missign mock exams that determine uni places....
Original post by Ferrograd
What do you mean the y11s and y13s should be priortiised? They've already been told what will happen. With all due respect, yes i can understand for many people it is hugely frustrating you got lower grades than you were hoping, but at least you got a grade. We haven't got any grades, and somehow the government is expecting everything to be tickety-boo when we return, despite most schools not having any online lessons, low motivation to revise etc provide clarity. Cancel next year's exams if need be. we are going to miss SO much content, all my teachers are worried. not to mention we are missign mock exams that determine uni places....

agreed but tbh I don't think exams should be cancelled I just want lower grade boundaries
Original post by The Mogg
Try being a year 12 in Wales. AS still counts towards A Level and we haven't got a clue what's going on.

RIP
Original post by 1st superstar
what about year 12's in N.I and wales or Y12 BTEC students? looks like they've been harder than their year 13 peers. Oh dear " I don't see what help they could be given" what about lower grade boundaries, delaying the uni application deadline date, not doing uni offers based on work experience, offering online classes (mainly for Y10 and Y12) like they do in other countries and some schools in the UK etc? so much more can be done sorry!

Grade boundaries change normally anyway. That isn't anything new.

I do agree with delaying the early uni application date (15th October one), however, I doubt this is a government decision.

Again, work experience for university will be based on the universities individual choice.

Online classes are being used in some schools. The government can't do much to change this.

So yes, there is very little that the government can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending