The Student Room Group

Books to Read for Law Personal Statement

Hello There

I am applying to study law next year, I am currently in year 12. A personal statment is part of the application process, and it needs to be good. I am thinking about reading a book to put on there.
The Secret Barrister is something that people mention. Is this too basic and would you be able to give me any other suggestions
The Secret Barrister is more fiction but it does give you a bit of an insight of how law kind of works but I never liked those fiction books so someone else would have a better review of it tbh. It is a cliche book along with Letters to a law student and more. I only suggest putting a book if you can learn something from it, its relevant to your other points in your personal statement or you gained something from it. It's better if it's something specific so it's best to have a book focused on a specific area of law. Do you have a favourite area of law so far?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PetitePanda
The Secret Barrister is more fiction but it does give you a bit of an insight of how law kind of works but I never liked those fiction books so someone else would have a better review of it tbh. It is a cliche book along with Letters to a law student and more. I only suggest putting a book if you can learn something from it, its relevant to your other points in your personal statement or you gained something from it. It's better if it's something specific so it's best to have a book focused on a specific area of law. Do you have a favourite area of law so far?

Human Rights Law and Libel Law has interested me. Could you recommend any books on these? However, human rights is not a compulsory module on any Law Course, it is usually an option in year 2. Would I be better off reading something about Criminal Law or another type of Law that is compulsory in all Law courses?
Original post by proudmonkey
Human Rights Law and Libel Law has interested me. Could you recommend any books on these? However, human rights is not a compulsory module on any Law Course, it is usually an option in year 2. Would I be better off reading something about Criminal Law or another type of Law that is compulsory in all Law courses?

I dont think it would be ideal to put it in there unless it links to why you want to do law or the unis applied have human rights as a module. It might be but it really depends on how you use it in your personal statement. Why did you want to go into law and have you done anything so far relating to law?
I dont think it would be ideal to put it in there unless it links to why you want to do law or the unis applied have human rights as a module. It might be but it really depends on how you use it in your personal statement. Why did you want to go into law and have you done anything so far relating to law?

If a uni has human rights law as an optional module in the second year, would it be worth mentioning human rights in my personal statement? The thing that got me interested in Law was the ongoing situation in Kashmir and the Indian government's refusal of basic human rights to the Kashmiri people.

In the last couple of minutes, I have come across a book called Comparative Human Rights Law by Sandra Fredman. It seems quite detailed. If you are able to have a quick look at what it is about yourself and possibly let me know whether I should mention it in my personal statement, that would be great,
If a uni has human rights law as an optional module in the second year, would it be worth mentioning human rights in my personal statement? The thing that got me interested in Law was the ongoing situation in Kashmir and the Indian government's refusal of basic human rights to the Kashmiri people.

In the last couple of minutes, I have come across a book called Comparative Human Rights Law by Sandra Fredman. It seems quite detailed. If you are able to have a quick look at what it is about yourself and possibly let me know whether I should mention it in my personal statement, that would be great,

If that's what got you interested in law then that's fine if you include it - it shows you wanted to further research into human rights from that case. I dont know if that is good but if you learn something or gained something from it then it would fine to mentioned it into your personal statement as long as you dont list it and make it relevant to your personal statement. However, do research the modules in the law course you want to apply for and make a distinction between why you got interested in law and why you want to do the courses you want to apply for.
If that's what got you interested in law then that's fine if you include it - it shows you wanted to further research into human rights from that case. I dont know if that is good but if you learn something or gained something from it then it would fine to mentioned it into your personal statement as long as you dont list it and make it relevant to your personal statement. However, do research the modules in the law course you want to apply for and make a distinction between why you got interested in law and why you want to do the courses you want to apply for.

What would be the difference between what got me interested in law and why I want to do a law degree.
What would be the difference between what got me interested in law and why I want to do a law degree.

What got you interested in law shows your development of interest in law but why you want to do a law degree would be your research in the modules like compulsory modules and why you would be a good candidate to be accepted on that course, if this makes sense?
What got you interested in law shows your development of interest in law but why you want to do a law degree would be your research in the modules like compulsory modules and why you would be a good candidate to be accepted on that course, if this makes sense?

ahh ok. I understand, so i guess reading about human rights law would not show why I am a good candidate to be accepted onto the Law course
Reply 9
i think you need to bear in mind, it's a personal statement - you need to write about something personal. does human rights relate to your own goals or future career? if it doesn't, i agree with Panda; write about something else.

the situation in India may be interesting to you, but how is it relevant to UK law? what do you know about the law in the UK? is there anything ongoing that you're interested in and can demonstrate sufficient understanding?

bearing in mind also that 'human rights' in itself is far too broad; it's like saying 'i have an interest in tort law', could mean almost anything. if you decide to mention human rights, you need to pick one and give examples.
ahh ok. I understand, so i guess reading about human rights law would not show why I am a good candidate to be accepted onto the Law course

I'd be careful about writing about things like this in a PS. Not being rude, but most applicants are interested in things like human rights, privacy and defamation. Unusual is the student who writes passionately about land law, or equity.

You need to show your interest in the law from an academic viewpoint and 'holistically', rather than cherry-picking the 'fun' bits. By all means use readings and specific interests to illustrate a point, but the PS needs to be wider than that - and you need to show how your academic skills make you well suited to the study of law.

Not really unless you can make it relevant, which I can't really think of things that could unless you talk about constitutional law and how human rights act is important in any type of law or ECHR's authority itself (but i dont know you could put it in a personal statement because you want to use all the characters you can and it's not really anything personal) or you could talk about a case in the UK that could be similar that links with the course (but you have to research that since I dont really know any cases for human rights expect Belmarsh case if I remember correctly). I really do suggest reading other areas of law because it is really interesting and it's what you'll definitely know you'll be learning in the future for a rough idea.
(edited 3 years ago)
Not really unless you can make it relevant, which I can't really think of things that could unless you talk about constitutional law and how human rights act is important in any type of law or ECHR's authority itself (but i dont know you could put it in a personal statement because you want to use all the characters you can and it's not really anything personal) or you could talk about a case in the UK that could be similar that links with the course (but you have to research that since I dont really know any cases for human rights expect Belmarsh case if I remember correctly). I really do suggest reading other areas of law because it is really interesting and it's what you'll definitely know you'll be learning in the future for a rough idea.

I watched the McLibel Documentary, and it led me onto doing my EPQ, would this be worth mentioning?
@Reality Check
I watched the McLibel Documentary, and it led me onto doing my EPQ, would this be worth mentioning?
@Reality Check

What's the McLibel Documentary about like?

omg I'm from Kashmir and I was a little surprised when you mentioned Kashmir. It's nice to know there are people in this world that care a little about Kashmiris.
What's the McLibel Documentary about like?

Basically, these two people get sued for libel by McDonalds, McD have the best legal team whilst the defendants cannot even get legal aid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending