The Student Room Group

opinions on commuting for uni

I am planning on commuting from home to Lancaster university which is an hour away because my parents won't let me move out but I wanna know your experiences with commuting and how you find it
Original post by Anonymous
I am planning on commuting from home to Lancaster university which is an hour away because my parents won't let me move out but I wanna know your experiences with commuting and how you find it

Hi!

Although I haven't had this experience before I have seen mixed opinions on the student room about this. One interesting point which I remember is that public transport can be unreliable and also there may be times where traffic is bad and let's say you have an exam and you couldn't get there on time? Also, from my personal experience, I don't know how I would have coped if I wasn't in halls near the 24 hour library as I did a huge majority of my work there. Obviously I am unaware of your family situation but you may want to convince them to let you move out, if you would like, as moving to Uni is a huge step into becoming an independent adult.
I hope this advice helps :smile:

Erin - Official Student Room:smile:

I commuted from Leeds to Sheffield for 5 years part time, which took me about an hour and a half from home.

It can work, but if you’re a full time student I’d recommend two things:

1. Use a laptop and have your material ready offline so you can use your commute time to study.
2. Join the university students union in your home city. You’ll need the distraction from studies and you’ll be able to still have that student social experience. I joined Leeds Uni union, you don’t have to be a student at a specific uni to join the union.

Hi anon,
I'm glad to hear you're going to come to Lancaster. Although I don't commute, I know a few people who did. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, if there's anything I can help you with.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Hi :hello:

I’m a second year and I’ve commuted every year. Greenwich is an hour away from me as well so it’s not too long but on rainy days the journey feels longer. I get to uni by taking the overground and DLR. Most days I find the commute pretty good and not too tedious but on the odd occasion an hour feels like a lifetime :eek:

To make the commute a bit more lively and enjoyable here’s some things you can do:

1) Make a really good playlist that lasts the duration of the journey
2) Watch a downloaded Netflix series
3) Watch a couple of Youtube videos
4) If none of those are your thing then you could listen to an audiobook or read a book

Hope this helps :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions

Devina
Reply 5
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Although I haven't had this experience before I have seen mixed opinions on the student room about this. One interesting point which I remember is that public transport can be unreliable and also there may be times where traffic is bad and let's say you have an exam and you couldn't get there on time? Also, from my personal experience, I don't know how I would have coped if I wasn't in halls near the 24 hour library as I did a huge majority of my work there. Obviously I am unaware of your family situation but you may want to convince them to let you move out, if you would like, as moving to Uni is a huge step into becoming an independent adult.
I hope this advice helps :smile:

Erin - Official Student Room:smile:

I understand but moving out wouldn't be the best choice for me even if I was allowed by my parents but thanks for the advice
Reply 6
Original post by Chris2892
I commuted from Leeds to Sheffield for 5 years part time, which took me about an hour and a half from home.

It can work, but if you’re a full time student I’d recommend two things:

1. Use a laptop and have your material ready offline so you can use your commute time to study.
2. Join the university students union in your home city. You’ll need the distraction from studies and you’ll be able to still have that student social experience. I joined Leeds Uni union, you don’t have to be a student at a specific uni to join the union.

Thank youu, I didn't know about the student union thing I'll be sure to look into it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by UniofGreenwich
Hi :hello:

I’m a second year and I’ve commuted every year. Greenwich is an hour away from me as well so it’s not too long but on rainy days the journey feels longer. I get to uni by taking the overground and DLR. Most days I find the commute pretty good and not too tedious but on the odd occasion an hour feels like a lifetime :eek:

To make the commute a bit more lively and enjoyable here’s some things you can do:

1) Make a really good playlist that lasts the duration of the journey
2) Watch a downloaded Netflix series
3) Watch a couple of Youtube videos
4) If none of those are your thing then you could listen to an audiobook or read a book

Hope this helps :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions

Devina

Thanks for the advice, I am quite sceptical but lets just hope for the best

I’m in the same situation, and the thing I’m worried about is parking. It looks like commuters can’t have permits to park on campus. It’s the reason I haven’t firmed Lancaster yet.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dancer2001
I’m in the same situation, and the thing I’m worried about is parking. It looks like commuters can’t have permits to park on campus. It’s the reason I haven’t firmed Lancaster yet.

I was not even aware of this, now I need to go figure some stuff out lol
Original post by Dancer2001

Hi @Dancer2001,
I believe commuters are one of the few students who are eligible for parking permits. All the commuter students I know in my year had access to parking permits. One of the eligibility criteria is 'Any student whose term-time address is off-campus and outside the defined urban core area.' The urban core area can be found here. If you live within the urban core, you could get a student bus pass and commute like the majority of off campus students do. I also know students who do not have a permit but pay per day they drive to campus. E.g. my neighbour had a car but only had uni 3 times a week so would buy a pay-as-you-go ticket for the days he was in uni.
I hope this is a little clearer and let me know if you need any help.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Dancer2001,
I believe commuters are one of the few students who are eligible for parking permits. All the commuter students I know in my year had access to parking permits. One of the eligibility criteria is 'Any student whose term-time address is off-campus and outside the defined urban core area.' The urban core area can be found here. If you live within the urban core, you could get a student bus pass and commute like the majority of off campus students do. I also know students who do not have a permit but pay per day they drive to campus. E.g. my neighbour had a car but only had uni 3 times a week so would buy a pay-as-you-go ticket for the days he was in uni.
I hope this is a little clearer and let me know if you need any help.

oh thanks for clearing that up, that makes a lot of things more easier for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending