The Student Room Group

4 A levels and an EPQ?

So im currenctly in year 11 and want to study Maths at Uni. The sixth form I am going to requires you to do 3 Alevels. However you can take further maths as a fourth and an EPQ is compulsory. Do you HAVE to do further maths for a maths degree? Is it even doable? I'm really stuck and stressing out before ive even started lol. Oh and btw im doing Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and biology.
Original post by aregularteen
So im currenctly in year 11 and want to study Maths at Uni. The sixth form I am going to requires you to do 3 Alevels. However you can take further maths as a fourth and an EPQ is compulsory. Do you HAVE to do further maths for a maths degree? Is it even doable? I'm really stuck and stressing out before ive even started lol. Oh and btw im doing Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and biology.

Do you have any specific universities you'd like to go to in mind? If you search a few they list their entry requirements including what A Levels you need. I think the majority of people who take maths at uni will have taken further maths though so personally, I think it is a very good idea to do further maths.

I've just done some quick research and universities usually don't say further maths is essential but it is recommended so you'll be able to get onto the course without it but if the course is oversubscribed, they're going to pick candidates with further maths over the candidates who don't have further maths. From what I know, maths is always oversubscribed so basically, take further maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by studentlemon
Do you have any specific universities you'd like to go to in mind? If you search a few they list their entry requirements including what A Levels you need. I think the majority of people who take maths at uni will have taken further maths though so personally, I think it is a very good idea to do further maths.

No i dont have any specific unis in mind. I've heard that it is strongly advised tho so idk im just scared that it might be a bit too much with the epq but i kinda dont have a choice
No i dont have any specific unis in mind. I've heard that it is strongly advised tho so idk im just scared that it might be a bit too much with the epq but i kinda dont have a choice

4 A Levels is a lot but certainly doable if you put the work/ effort in. Is there a reason you want to take psychology or biology? Just asking because you could swap one of them for further maths so you'll only be doing 3 A Levels and an EPQ.

Hi, I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography and I have just started my EPQ, I am in Year 12, planning to do Civil engineering at uni. To be honest doing 4 a levels is tough, but if you manage your time well it is possible, I am also planning to get most of my epq during the summer so it doesn't interfere with my alevels. Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Off the top of my head I think it is only Cambridge and Warwick that ask for further maths, however it very useful for all unis if you have it.
I do four a levels including further maths. I would highly reccomend you to do it, its definitely doable especially since you want to do Maths at Uni you should be eager to take it
Hey bud! I might be able to help u out. I'm doing Economics, Politics, Maths, Further Maths and EPQ. I am planning to read Economics this year so Further Maths was KINDA a compulsory for me. It is tough and time consuming but my advice is that start researching your EPQ topic as soon as you can. With the whole pandemic thing going, try to research your topic of interest. I finished writing my EPQ back in Year 12.

For a Maths degree, I think you need to sit for STEP papers but then again, if you can't do Further Maths, I can't imagine if you can sit for STEP papers that easily. I finished Further Maths and attempted few STEP questions and it was still hell. Further Maths might sound tough and all but I think you should give it a go. Drop it in Year 13 if u can't cope.

Surely, Further Maths is a strong added value to your university application in my opinion.
Further Maths would definitely get you ahead than most applicants who do only Maths.
4 a levels and an epq is doable but you have to have the hard work and talent to do it
Original post by studentlemon
4 A Levels is a lot but certainly doable if you put the work/ effort in. Is there a reason you want to take psychology or biology? Just asking because you could swap one of them for further maths so you'll only be doing 3 A Levels and an EPQ.

I cant swap because the school have said if you want to do further maths you MUST pick maths and 2 other subject
Original post by Becca216
Hi, I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography and I have just started my EPQ, I am in Year 12, planning to do Civil engineering at uni. To be honest doing 4 a levels is tough, but if you manage your time well it is possible, I am also planning to get most of my epq during the summer so it doesn't interfere with my alevels. Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Off the top of my head I think it is only Cambridge and Warwick that ask for further maths, however it very useful for all unis if you have it.

Thank you! How do you spread out your time like did you revise as soon as you got back/ make revision resources. Is the EPQ process long? How do u find Maths and Further maths?
Original post by .unknown
I do four a levels including further maths. I would highly reccomend you to do it, its definitely doable especially since you want to do Maths at Uni you should be eager to take it

I really want to take Further Maths dont get me wrong its just that i fear the workload of doing four A-levels and EPQ might be too much for me
Original post by itsalifiman11
Hey bud! I might be able to help u out. I'm doing Economics, Politics, Maths, Further Maths and EPQ. I am planning to read Economics this year so Further Maths was KINDA a compulsory for me. It is tough and time consuming but my advice is that start researching your EPQ topic as soon as you can. With the whole pandemic thing going, try to research your topic of interest. I finished writing my EPQ back in Year 12.

For a Maths degree, I think you need to sit for STEP papers but then again, if you can't do Further Maths, I can't imagine if you can sit for STEP papers that easily. I finished Further Maths and attempted few STEP questions and it was still hell. Further Maths might sound tough and all but I think you should give it a go. Drop it in Year 13 if u can't cope.

Surely, Further Maths is a strong added value to your university application in my opinion.

Hiya! Thank you so much for your advice I'll definately take it on board! What do you think I should be doing now to prepare for the EPQ
I cant swap because the school have said if you want to do further maths you MUST pick maths and 2 other subject

Thank you! How do you spread out your time like did you revise as soon as you got back/ make revision resources. Is the EPQ process long? How do u find Maths and Further maths?

I really want to take Further Maths dont get me wrong its just that i fear the workload of doing four A-levels and EPQ might be too much for me

Hiya! Thank you so much for your advice I'll definately take it on board! What do you think I should be doing now to prepare for the EPQ

Personally, I think you should start reading about topics that might be in your interest. It doesn't need to be related to what you want to do at uni but ideally it would be helpful. Make a Google Docs and paste links of articles/journals/videos that you find interesting. This is important because people often forget to keep a list of their references. Once you go into Year 12, discuss with your tutor about your research. It's better if u have several topics in mind so that if your tutor rejects a topic, you still have other topics that you have in mind. Most importantly, go to your exam boards. I did AQA EPQ Level 3. So go to their website and look into the specs. It will give u a rough idea on what and how to start your research.

If you find maths relatively easy then a level maths inst too much of a step up from gcse, there are bits that will take some work but if you work hard you should be okay. I cant speak for further maths as my college teach the whole of normal maths in year 1 and then the whole of further in year 2. I do recommend creating revision resources at the end of each topic, this is something i haven't stayed on top of. I have only just started my epq and i'm enjoying, it is useful that I am doing it during this quarantine period as it just means i have a bit more time to do it
You could always begin with 4 AL + EPQ, then wait and see what offers you receive. You can then discuss dropping the 4th AL or the EPQ if it would help you focus on meeting the offer conditions.
also, this might not be helpful, but imagine u can flex if u get 5As for A-Levels. Big flex kidding..
I did 4 and an EPQ and I loved it (inc FM)
Original post by Sophhhowa
I did 4 and an EPQ and I loved it (inc FM)

Gang me too!!
I did 4 A levels including maths and further maths... Honestly I think you should give it a go, the biggest problem you'll have is the extra work load and the fewer frees. Give it a few months and you can always drop it it you feel like it's too much work.
Sidenote I've heard that unis aren't allowed to say they require further maths since a lot of state schools don't offer it but if you're applying for a maths degree if you don't have further maths they'll expect you to do a course or something at least over the summer and Easter holidays
Although many maths courses don't specifically require A-level FM for a maths degree, if you know that's what you want to do, not taking further maths is really just shooting yourself in the foot before the race gates even open! You will need at least some of the content from A-level FM throughout a maths degree, and more importantly taking it is the only way you can even begin to approximate what it would be like to do a degree in maths, where you are just doing maths 100% of the time. For that reason alone it is worth taking.

While some universities give lower offers to those with an EPQ, a lot of them don't use EPQs when making offers specifically and some just don't consider them at all. I generally would only suggest doing an EPQ if you already have some idea of what you might like to do as a project, which is something you would want to pursue extracurricularly otherwise, and for which the EPQ is essentially just a formalisation of some academic exploration you would be intending to undertake no matter what. There's really no point in doing an EPQ just because you think it'll score you "bonus points" in admissions, since it generally doesn't work like that anyway.
Reply 17
It’s a lot of work but certainly doable if you hate the motivation and the stamina.
After reading the other comments I thought of a few more things
I did A-Levels in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths with the thought that after sixth form I would do a maths degree since I found GCSE maths really easy. Anyway long story short we did all of the maths alevel in y12 and did the last year's paper as the mock and I did AWFULLY like seriously I could barely answer half the questions and most of what I did was wrong and my confidence just plummeted and I was completely dreading starting further maths next year.

So that summer I visited a bunch of universities and went to the maths, chem and Phys talks and sometimes they give you a little taster of the course before they talk about course structure etc and I found myself SO BORED in the maths ones and I started thinking about what I actually enjoyed doing in school and what I enjoyed thinking about in my own time and realized I really liked chemistry and physics a lot more so I ended up applying for natural sciences courses in the end

Anyways I'm not really sure where this is going other than that I am so glad that I didn't drop physics in y12. My advice to you is to take all 4... Even if you think you know what you want to do A-Level can be quite different to GCSE
If you do decide not to do maths by the end of y12 and you're not applying for Oxbridge I would recommend dropping FM since it took up like 70% of my revision time and none of my uni offers were lowered from the standard offer :/

Quick Reply

Latest