The Student Room Group

A levels without gcse

Can I do A-Level chem without gcse chemistry? I know all the basics tho
It depends on what/how much you already know. A level chemistry does require GCSE knowledge, but if you know the content (just didn’t do an exam or an official GCSE) you could do it. This summer you could look at what GCSE content you know and what you could learn that you might have missed from doing a GCSE (independently learn). I don’t know for sure as I’m not a teacher, but hope this helps.
I did IAS without taking IGCSE exam as our school do not have it.I do not know why! basicly all schools should provide students with that if these schools are reliable enough. so I am a bit sad about that. but It went fine and I think I also only know the basics in GCSE as our school is not so good and I only started having tutition lessons after school for IAS this year. perhaps it will not influence u so much unless u want to apply for oxibridge and u might be a bit less competitative than those with GCSE.but I think it will not be so effective as if u have an excellent AS and alevel result. but if u cannot get a good gcse result it is even better to not take it if u can get good as and alevel result.
(edited 3 years ago)
Can do. As long as you know the basics and good at maths and memorizing.
I was able to pass it with memorizing all the things in the textbook (diagram of set up, detailed procedure, colour change) and doing the more lengthy maths questions, and not much chem knowledge (I did 4 a lvl so yeah, not have time for it)
For organic chem everyone starts at roughly same place so you should be ok (extra ok if you do bio as well)
For inorganic, being good at maths is good enough
Reading the first 2 chapters of the book and the syllabus in advance and see if there's anything you need. Skim through the GCSE syllabus as well.
possible, but make sure you're really familiar with the basics. go over the gcse content before you start a level and have a look to see what they expect of you at a level too.
If you know and understand the GCSE content I see no reason why not. A Level does require an understanding of the basics, as parts of it build on that. I suggest (and this is for any a level) to give it a two week trial, if things seem to be going well, then stick with it. You can usually tell within those two weeks, and it’s not too late to change then
Original post by Physicsqueen
It depends on what/how much you already know. A level chemistry does require GCSE knowledge, but if you know the content (just didn’t do an exam or an official GCSE) you could do it. This summer you could look at what GCSE content you know and what you could learn that you might have missed from doing a GCSE (independently learn). I don’t know for sure as I’m not a teacher, but hope this helps.

technically I did chemistry as an igcse, but our exam was cancelled due to some other issues, but the grade I was given on the unofficial result slip on the 22nd last year was a good pass but it just didnt appear on the final one, so i guess ill still have a good knowledge
Original post by Hedwigeeeee
I did IAS without taking IGCSE exam as our school do not have it.I do not know why! basicly all schools should provide students with that if these schools are reliable enough. so I am a bit sad about that. but It went fine and I think I also only know the basics in GCSE as our school is not so good and I only started having tutition lessons after school for IAS this year. perhaps it will not influence u so much unless u want to apply for oxibridge and u might be a bit less competitative than those with GCSE.but I think it will not be so effective as if u have an excellent AS and alevel result. but if u cannot get a good gcse result it is even better to not take it if u can get good as and alevel result.

Thank you!! really helpful x
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
If you know and understand the GCSE content I see no reason why not. A Level does require an understanding of the basics, as parts of it build on that. I suggest (and this is for any a level) to give it a two week trial, if things seem to be going well, then stick with it. You can usually tell within those two weeks, and it’s not too late to change then

yess will do
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Can do. As long as you know the basics and good at maths and memorizing.
I was able to pass it with memorizing all the things in the textbook (diagram of set up, detailed procedure, colour change) and doing the more lengthy maths questions, and not much chem knowledge (I did 4 a lvl so yeah, not have time for it)
For organic chem everyone starts at roughly same place so you should be ok (extra ok if you do bio as well)
For inorganic, being good at maths is good enough
Reading the first 2 chapters of the book and the syllabus in advance and see if there's anything you need. Skim through the GCSE syllabus as well.

wow thats cool!!
thanks for your advice xxx
Original post by shukrii.ahmed
Can I do A-Level chem without gcse chemistry? I know all the basics tho

It depends really, I am guessing you didn't do seperate science but if you took combined then you should be ok since you will have learn't some most of the necessary gcse level chemistry for a levels.

If you haven't gotten any gcse for chemistry, or your grade for combined isn't particularly great (7 and above would be preferable, if you worked hard you could get away with a 6 so in other words are you an A grade student?) then quite frankly you should not take a level chemistry since even if somewhere would take you, you wouldn't pass. A level chemistry is considered difficult for a reason, and what you consider to be the basics might not actually have covered enough
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you mean you haven't done any sort of formal GCSE studies in Chemistry?

I'd use this time to really make sure you're really secure with GCSE level content. (as is important with any A-level that builds upon the GCSE) Maybe download a few GCSE papers and have a go at them to see where you're at at the moment.

You should also ensure whatever school you want to sit this A-level at are fine with you not having chemistry at GCSE. (either as part of combined science or separate)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by superlightnin
It depends really, I am guessing you didn't do seperate science but if you took combined then you should be ok since you will have learn't some most of the necessary gcse level chemistry for a levels.

If you haven't gotten any gcse for chemistry, or your grade for combined isn't particularly great (7 and above would be preferable, if you worked hard you could get away with a 6 so in other words are you an A grade student?) then quite frankly you should not take a level chemistry since even if somewhere would take you, you wouldn't pass. A level chemistry is considered difficult for a reason, and what you consider to be the basics might not actually have covered enough

I guess I mean yes I got a good grade in chemistry (7) but still uncertain due to some other circumstances
THANK YOU!!!!! xxxxx
Original post by _gcx
Do you mean you haven't done any sort of formal GCSE studies in Chemistry?

I'd use this time to really make sure you're really secure with GCSE level content. (as is important with any A-level that builds upon the GCSE) Maybe download a few GCSE papers and have a go at them to see where you're at at the moment.

You should also ensure whatever school you want to sit this A-level at are fine with you not having chemistry at GCSE. (either as part of combined science or separate)

I have done the iGCSE course which is equivalent to the national one, and I passed it, but there was a case of cheating within our center so they made it void for all of us :/ but I know all of the content and Im even reading ahead
Original post by shukrii.ahmed
I have done the iGCSE course which is equivalent to the national one, and I passed it, but there was a case of cheating within our center so they made it void for all of us :/ but I know all of the content and Im even reading ahead

Sounds like strange circumstances, but it sounds like it'll be absolutely fine.
Original post by _gcx
Sounds like strange circumstances, but it sounds like it'll be absolutely fine.

strange but unfortunately true
thanks tho x

Quick Reply

Latest