The Student Room Group

which laptop to buy if studying engineering

Starting uni in september ,is it worth paying for a laptop that can run engineering softwares or just get a basic one?
IMO its worth getting a good laptop, dont need to go insane price wise, but it'll help and it should last you the full of uni so a good investment to make. It also helps to be productive when your working on something that feels good and you enjoy working on. If you're not sure about it you can start and see how it goes but if you need a laptop anyway then its worth spending that bit extra for a better one. Whats your rough budget?
If whatever you need to run is very intensive, you should avoid buying a laptop and buy a desktop because price per dollar is better there. Mind describing what software you will be running and if you really need the device to be portable?
I would suggest laptops with 16Gb Ram and a minimum i5 processor. I am sure u will use multiple software. Dell xps 15 the new one is what I suggest with i7 processor.
ngl a laptop isnt rlly needed, you will probs have lab sessions where you do tasks on computers in the labs. Your engineering department should have a facility full of computers that students can work on all day. You also don't need to take it a laptop in class unless you really want to take notes on your laptop and do a quick google search along the way. But pen and paper should suffice.

but if u want a laptop to work in ur room too and take it around campus or summin around £500 should be enough
look for 8gb ram, i5 processor, SSD's will make your laptop much faster too (an external hard drive will probs come in handy) having a quad-core processor is finna be much faster overall too
Original post by kurro
(an external hard drive will probs come in handy)

Yuck.
I highly recommend a Thinkpad. I have had the Thinkpad T470 for 3 years of engineering projects (real-time signal processing, computer vision, and electromagnetic simulation) and it hasn't let me down. Removeable battery, most components easily replaceable, and a keyboard that is difficult to beat - check them out!
Original post by coololoolo
Yuck.

WDYM FAM, they do be coming in handy !
dont diss pls
Reply 8
Original post by r_63
Starting uni in september ,is it worth paying for a laptop that can run engineering softwares or just get a basic one?

I'd really recommend getting a Lenovo ThinkPad X series or T series - I recently got myself a ThinkPad T430s from topbargainz.com - used but it was in amazing condition much better than what I was expecting for under 200 quid - easily handles documents and even Photoshop - 4GB RAM upwards will suffice. They had quite a few different ThinkPads available, though I think I bought the last T430s - pretty sure any of the ones they've got will be suitable for your needs - think they had a few 2-in-1's available too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending