The Student Room Group

Revision help

How do people who get mostly A* at GCSE revise for each subject. Can you explain thoroughly please.
(edited 3 years ago)
I, personally, didn't get those grades (I got one A though! haha) but my friend got all A's and A*s for GCSE and an A* and two A's at A-level. She just revised constantly, she would read and read and write down her thoughts, highlight important things, no distractions. I mean, it depends what subjects you mean? Because while she was quite intelligent, she needed a private tutor for French to get her A in it. Whereas the two other high achieving students in our group (A grade students) both got C's at GCSE. It was similar for her Maths GCSE. On the other hand, I know someone who got all A's and hardly revised. Not sure if this is helping at all. I just know that she would get a binder for each subject and highlight and condense the notes so they were easier to remember. Another tip- she would talk out loud about the things she needed to remember. So she would explain it to someone who didn't know what she was talking about and this helped her.
Reply 2
As someone who got 4A* at A-level, there are several key things one can do.
1. Revise consistently from Year 12. Lots of students don’t do very well in Year 12 and that’s okay, but being confident on your Year 12 content by the end of year 12 helps as Year 13 steps up.
2. Do practise papers!!!
3. Ask Questions if you don’t understand! Understanding is the key to success as something you understand is much easier to revise.
4. Work during your free periods. Most sixth forms don’t have a Study period which you have to go to. My sixth form did and I found it helped. I didn’t have any free periods, but you get used to it. If you do 3 A-levels you should 3 lessons a day and 2 frees. Use a one free period once a day for revision, practise questions etc. This allows for consolidation.

Good luck!
Tbh I didnt really revise like hardcore (like 8 hours a day - I did not do that) for most of my subjects that I got an A* in. For RE, I would just pay attention in class and do the work with effort in lessons and for homework and not much I needed to do except learn the exam technique. For maths, it was the same but practicing questions and exam papers a lot. For science, it was the same as maths but I needed to go over the content so I just focused on what content I was struggling with, which was evident in my past papers by doing active recall by making flashcards and stuff that kept me engaged. For Art and DT, I focused on getting my coursework done to the criteria that they marked it on and for DT theory, I revised exam technique for each section, which made it easier to revise the content since you could focus on specific content. For History, after learning the exam technique, it was mostly learning the content and I did this through mindmaps and essay plans.
Original post by unknownm123
How do people who get mostly A* at GCSE revise for each subject. Can you explain thoroughly please.

I got my IGCSE results this May and managed to get 7 A*s and an A. TBH it's not that tough. All you have to do is revise all your subjects daily and try making notes in your words as that would help you remember things much faster. Always have detailed and organized notes which you can always refer back to. For sciences, I personally felt that reading the textbook thoroughly is the key. Always pay attention in class and use your free sessions wisely. When you are coming to the end of the year, START DOING PAST PAPERS. I literally completed all the past papers right from 2002 till 2019 for most of my subjects. Doing past papers will help you understand the exam pattern and will help you understand what topics are you struggling in. Don't pressurize yourself too much.... just put in the effort daily from day 1 so that you don't end up getting all the load a month prior to your exams, as that will never help you ace your exams. So just put in the hard work every single day and you'll be able to get your desired results:smile:
Original post by vanshika20
I got my IGCSE results this May and managed to get 7 A*s and an A. TBH it's not that tough. All you have to do is revise all your subjects daily and try making notes in your words as that would help you remember things much faster. Always have detailed and organized notes which you can always refer back to. For sciences, I personally felt that reading the textbook thoroughly is the key. Always pay attention in class and use your free sessions wisely. When you are coming to the end of the year, START DOING PAST PAPERS. I literally completed all the past papers right from 2002 till 2019 for most of my subjects. Doing past papers will help you understand the exam pattern and will help you understand what topics are you struggling in. Don't pressurize yourself too much.... just put in the effort daily from day 1 so that you don't end up getting all the load a month prior to your exams, as that will never help you ace your exams. So just put in the hard work every single day and you'll be able to get your desired results:smile:

When did you start revising
Original post by unknownm123
When did you start revising

I think around 3 months before my exam...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending