The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular football opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Football is nothing without its fans
Original post by barnetlad
The season should have ended at all levels and been decided on points per game.

Well it worked out well for you didn't it? I don't think Barnet would have made the play offs because of the sheer amount of games you would have needed to play.
Reply 42
Original post by 2_versions
football is trash

THIS!
Britain should probably only have about 40 full time professional clubs.
Football is ridiculous and is just kicking a ball around pointlessly :rolleyes:
Hey! You said controversial comments!
Original post by 8013
I told this joke to an Arsenal fan in my class:
Liverpool is 1st and Arsenal is 10th now. I always get the top marks, so I am way ahead in first. Your marks are so low that you dropped a lot. Study hard to get into Europe next year,

It’s already in Europe. Europe is a continent :wink:
Original post by Mess.
Paul Scholes is by far and away the most overrated player of the past 20 years.

Now to be clear, he was a very good player but his actual level ended up being massively overrated once he played centre mid in his late 30’s.

He came out of retirement at 36 when we were injury hit and almost single handedly won us the league lol. One of the greatest midfielders of a generation.
Original post by Guru Jason
He came out of retirement at 36 when we were injury hit and almost single handedly won us the league lol. One of the greatest midfielders of a generation.

I agree, I recall a conversation with the Manchester United fan who was brought up in Manchester (yes there is one) and upon saying there were better players in the Man U team than Beckham at the time he left, the first name he mentioned was Paul Scholes.
Reply 48
Original post by Moonbow

Office work is pointless. It is just clicking keys on a computer.
Original post by Moonbow

E0F102C4-DDA0-4524-A24F-E0A1D5E84F49.jpg.jpeg
I am a guy who never watches football. Not becsuse I dislike it, but because I never keep up to date with it.
I think the players are paid far too much. It has taken the game away from the everyday folk, who can't afford to buy a ticket
Reply 52

I never said he wasn’t a very good player :rolleyes: My issue is that people treat him as though he was a generational talent on a par with Zidane etc.

If he was as good throughout his career as he was retconned to be at 36, then he wouldn’t have been the player than was shunted around the England team for Lampard, Gerrard and anyone else that played CM before him during that period.

Ferguson tried to replace him with Veron and he was meant to be an attacking midfielder that only hit double figures twice in the league throughout his career, despite playing in the single dominant team over that period.

Again, the comment isn’t that he wasn’t a good player, it’s that he wasn’t a generational player. To be honest, he wasn’t even the best centre mid at the club.

Ferguson also spent basically the 2000’s trying to play without centre midfielders, he just lashed a load of jobbers in there and relied upon having an amazing defence and attack, which worked incredibly well it should be said.
Reply 53
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I think the players are paid far too much. It has taken the game away from the everyday folk, who can't afford to buy a ticket

Who should the money go to then? The money is in the game regardless, so at least it goes to the workers (footballers) rather than the senior managers (directors).
Original post by Mess.
Office work is pointless. It is just clicking keys on a computer.

I agree 😂
Nice try though 😜
Original post by Liluzihurt
E0F102C4-DDA0-4524-A24F-E0A1D5E84F49.jpg.jpeg

🤣🤣

You were already comfortably top of the league when he came back, Van Persie won the golden boot and Rooney had double-digit goals and assists, so let’s dial back this “single-handedly won the league” stuff.
Manchester United is the greatest football club to ever have existed.
Original post by Mess.
Who should the money go to then? The money is in the game regardless, so at least it goes to the workers (footballers) rather than the senior managers (directors).

The thread title is post controversial opinions. If the players were paid less money, then ticket prices would be less and your average Joe in the street could afford to go
Original post by squeakysquirrel
The thread title is post controversial opinions. If the players were paid less money, then ticket prices would be less and your average Joe in the street could afford to go

That’s not how it would work. If you capped player salaries the clubs would still charge premium prices because they know people are willing to pay it.

Only thing likely to bring ticket prices down is a general boycott. Blaming the players is just demagoguery.

Quick Reply

Latest