The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster uni accomodation

Do you have any advice for a 1st year student about accomodation in Lancaster University? How are the room and how does the payment works (where and when do I pay)?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you have any advice for a 1st year student about accomodation in Lancaster University? How are the room and how does the payment works (where and when do I pay)?

Hi Anonymous,

You can choose to live in on-campus accommodation or off-campus. I'm a first year and I've been on campus this year, so I'd personally definitely recommend you to apply for accommodation on campus for your first year, as it's a big part of the experience.

Lancaster offers lots of different room types, all of which have different prices. You can find out about the different room types and what is offered here. Additionally, take a look at a set of accommodation videos made by some of our Digital Ambassadors, to give you an insight into the different kinds offered.

When thinking about the type of accommodation you'd like to apply for, I'd consider this:
-Do I want to have my own bathroom or am I happy to share (ensuite and superior ensuite vs standard and townhouse)?
-Do I want a very sociable accommodation? (typically, the townhouses are very popular and sociable!)
-What price range do I want to consider?
-Are there any additional factors? (e.g. do I want to be in a particular college, or on a particular part of campus, near to my lectures?)
-Do I want to be catered or self-catered?

I've been in Superior Ensuite accommodation this year, and I've shared the kitchen and living facilities with 7 others, but had my own room and bathroom. I was personally set on having my own bathroom before uni, but a lot of people I know have been very happy with sharing the bathroom facilities in different room types (and this also means that the accommodation will be cheaper).

If you have firmed Lancaster, you are guaranteed a room on campus. The accommodation portal usually opens in June (although, with the current global pandemic, things might be slightly different this year!). From my experience, you get to pick a 1st choice and 2nd choice room type, and a 1st choice and 2nd choice college. For example, I picked 1st choice Superior Ensuite and 2nd choice Ensuite, and for colleges, Lonsdale and Cartmel.

It's definitely worth considering which college you would like to be in alongside your decision about room type, because some accommodation is only offered in certain colleges (e.g. townhouses).

Offers for accommodation are made on Results Day, and you'll have a time period in which to accept/reject it. With my accommodation this year, I've paid in three instalments for each term.

If you have any more questions about Lancaster and accommodation, I'd be happy to help!

Maria :smile:
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi Maria, do you know if you can choose say 1st choice room type is townhouse, 2nd choice superior standard. Then 1st choice grizedale, 2nd choice county?

It my daughter chose this way, it would only lead to just 3 possible options because you could only ever have:
1)grizedale townhouse
2)county townhouse
3)county superior standard (only other sup standard is bowland)

What with talks of being put into same accommodation with other students studying the same subject as a possibility, I hope 3 options is enough.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi Maria, do you know if you can choose say 1st choice room type is townhouse, 2nd choice superior standard. Then 1st choice grizedale, 2nd choice county?

It my daughter chose this way, it would only lead to just 3 possible options because you could only ever have:
1)grizedale townhouse
2)county townhouse
3)county superior standard (only other sup standard is bowland)

What with talks of being put into same accommodation with other students studying the same subject as a possibility, I hope 3 options is enough.

Hi Ghostlady,

Based on my accommodation form last year, you would be able to choose the different options you have outlined.

However, due to the current situation, I'm afraid I can't guarantee it!

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi Ghostlady,

Based on my accommodation form last year, you would be able to choose the different options you have outlined.

However, due to the current situation, I'm afraid I can't guarantee it!

Thanks Maria, what with all these grouping of students into same accommodation + same subject study being talked about, I know this may not be possible if that ever gets actioned. The other accommodation we saw at the time of open day was just as nice, so either way, its not too too important :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi Anonymous,

You can choose to live in on-campus accommodation or off-campus. I'm a first year and I've been on campus this year, so I'd personally definitely recommend you to apply for accommodation on campus for your first year, as it's a big part of the experience.

Lancaster offers lots of different room types, all of which have different prices. You can find out about the different room types and what is offered here. Additionally, take a look at a set of accommodation videos made by some of our Digital Ambassadors, to give you an insight into the different kinds offered.

When thinking about the type of accommodation you'd like to apply for, I'd consider this:
-Do I want to have my own bathroom or am I happy to share (ensuite and superior ensuite vs standard and townhouse)?
-Do I want a very sociable accommodation? (typically, the townhouses are very popular and sociable!)
-What price range do I want to consider?
-Are there any additional factors? (e.g. do I want to be in a particular college, or on a particular part of campus, near to my lectures?)
-Do I want to be catered or self-catered?

I've been in Superior Ensuite accommodation this year, and I've shared the kitchen and living facilities with 7 others, but had my own room and bathroom. I was personally set on having my own bathroom before uni, but a lot of people I know have been very happy with sharing the bathroom facilities in different room types (and this also means that the accommodation will be cheaper).

If you have firmed Lancaster, you are guaranteed a room on campus. The accommodation portal usually opens in June (although, with the current global pandemic, things might be slightly different this year!). From my experience, you get to pick a 1st choice and 2nd choice room type, and a 1st choice and 2nd choice college. For example, I picked 1st choice Superior Ensuite and 2nd choice Ensuite, and for colleges, Lonsdale and Cartmel.

It's definitely worth considering which college you would like to be in alongside your decision about room type, because some accommodation is only offered in certain colleges (e.g. townhouses).

Offers for accommodation are made on Results Day, and you'll have a time period in which to accept/reject it. With my accommodation this year, I've paid in three instalments for each term.

If you have any more questions about Lancaster and accommodation, I'd be happy to help!

Accommodation portal opened today for my daughter and this was the process.

You could only choose two choices. There was filters so you can whittle down to the one that you wanted to select. Once selected it appeared on the right hand side of the page as option 1, then do the same again and option 2 would appear underneath.
You could mix and match out of any 2 college/accommodation types.
So for example you could go for an option of 2 Grizedale accommodation types, or something like superior std county / cartmel superior ensuite, or basic standard bowland / cartmel catered .

Then there was a second page that came up after this. It said to tick the one which most applied to you that was the most important: accommodation type, price, college (sorry cannot remember the other 2 options but there was 5)
Then you filled in the other bits such as requiring a room if you had a disability.
There was also a box where you could put special requirements and put what you liked there.

It was very straight forward and quite an easy process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending