The Student Room Group

MSc Therapeutic Counselling University of Greenwich

Hi all. I applied for the MSc Therapeutic Counselling course at the University of Greenwich and heard back after a couple of weeks via an email asking me to complete a short essay, based on which I may be invited to interview. This is separate to my personal statement.

Given that this was not mentioned anywhere in the application or on the website (which just stated that there would be 'a small group information session, plus a formal one-to-one interview'), this threw me a little! Any other applicants had the same request or does this just suggest they aren't sure about me? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there
Me too - and also received the same email! Was confounded, and not expecting it. I was thinking it may be down to everything being online and needing to whittle it down more? Did you complete yours yet... I’m procrastinating so much! Was you question - what is therapeutic counselling?
Reply 2
Original post by Cast90
Hi there
Me too - and also received the same email! Was confounded, and not expecting it. I was thinking it may be down to everything being online and needing to whittle it down more? Did you complete yours yet... I’m procrastinating so much! Was you question - what is therapeutic counselling?

Hey!

Well at least we know it isn't just us individually, haha! I figured it might be due to the circumstances, yes.

I have the very same question and am very much procrastinating it! It doesn't help that I have been at my boyfriend's in a different city for the whole of lockdown so far and am still here, so I don't have my portfolio or the couple of books I would have looked at from the course I did last year to serve as research or anything. Given that they mentioned the specific referencing format they requested, they clearly want us to put some research in, but I'm a bit stuck on how to do that except with google books/scholar! Presumably it can't be a huge amount/in incredible depth since it's only 750 words, but I am panicking a little about not having access to any of my resources, especially since my undergrad wasn't in this, so it's not like I have a bank of existing in depth knowledge.

How are you thinking of tackling it?
Reply 3
Glad its not just me! Attempting to tackle this today
I think, going by the word count, I plan to keep it quite simple...a definite overview instead of dissecting modalities or deeper concepts.
I'm hoping for the referencing, we just. have to show we are capable of doing that...hopefully it doesn't have to be scattered with many ref's from a million different sources...! To be honest I've also never heard of academic writing being referred to as levels before either, I took a little look at this online and found it quite useful...http://academic-skills.health.herts.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Examples-of-level-7-writing.pdf

My undergrad is also in something entirely different!
Reply 4
Original post by Cast90
Glad its not just me! Attempting to tackle this today
I think, going by the word count, I plan to keep it quite simple...a definite overview instead of dissecting modalities or deeper concepts.
I'm hoping for the referencing, we just. have to show we are capable of doing that...hopefully it doesn't have to be scattered with many ref's from a million different sources...! To be honest I've also never heard of academic writing being referred to as levels before either, I took a little look at this online and found it quite useful...http://academic-skills.health.herts.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Examples-of-level-7-writing.pdf

My undergrad is also in something entirely different!

I've just planned it today and I think it's fair to say I will have to do a lot of cherrypicking and streamlining tomorrow to fit the wordcount! I am definitely also treating it more as an overview task than one with massive detail. I have four different references so far and am hoping that will be enough, as more seems like it will just become difficult to keep streamlined enough!
Fingers crossed for us both :smile:

EDIT: just looked again at the referencing style - feels ridiculous and so needlessly complicated! I knew I'd have to learn new referencing but APA just takes the mickey with all its conditions 😑🤦🏼*♀️ pretty sure I'll get something wrong even trying my best and double checking!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Sent mine off now! Fingers crossed it's up to scratch, I really feel like I could have written so much more but the word limit meant I really had to be brief with everything. Let me know if you get an interview, Cast!
Reply 6
Hi again all - hope it's okay to post again here, figured it was better than starting a new thread.

Has anyone else applied and heard back yet? I emailed a week ago asking roughly when I should expect to hear whether I was being offered an interview and I haven't had a response yet.
Reply 7
Hi there
I got offered an interview today
Fingers crossed for you!
Reply 8
ah well done Cast! fingers crossed indeed :smile: if you don't mind me asking, roughly how far in advance is it and it is in person or a video call?
Reply 9
Original post by justpeachy_
ah well done Cast! fingers crossed indeed :smile: if you don't mind me asking, roughly how far in advance is it and it is in person or a video call?

Hey - it’s a video call, early next week. Let me know how you get on!
Hi all. I applied for the MSc Therapeutic Counselling course at the University of Greenwich and heard back after a couple of weeks via an email asking me to complete a short essay, based on which I may be invited to interview. This is separate to my personal statement.

Given that this was not mentioned anywhere in the application or on the website (which just stated that there would be 'a small group information session, plus a formal one-to-one interview'), this threw me a little! Any other applicants had the same request or does this just suggest they aren't sure about me? :frown:

Take the essay without any warning, just flumpped on you as a taste of things to come. Think carefully about your choice as you are wasting thousands of pounds. I am a past student and choosing this course at this university was the biggest mistake I ever made.
Reply 11
Original post by past student
Take the essay without any warning, just flumpped on you as a taste of things to come. Think carefully about your choice as you are wasting thousands of pounds. I am a past student and choosing this course at this university was the biggest mistake I ever made.

I’m wondering if you can tell me a bit more - I was planning to start in sept but haven’t confirmed yet - any inside info would be wonderful. Thanks!
From my own personal experience I found tutors incompetent with their teaching and feedback, extremely unsupportive, harsh with their marks, no interest in students wellbeing, lectures were hard to follow. I can honestly say that I have learned more from CPD's and online courses than I did with this course. The course is advertised as part-time but really its fulltime as not one person on my course was able to keep their job or not reduce their working hours drastically due to the amount of reading and assignments required (often overlapping). It is also common not to receive feedback before having to submit another essay. I have taken courses at other universities and never had any problems or saw so many unhappy students as I have with this one. Complaints on this course seem to be rocket high but ignored as its been ongoing for the past 10 years and nothing substantial has been done about it. In the first year I questioned my thoughts and feelings about the course as I felt that maybe it was to do with being new and having so much to learn but as the years went by and I understood more about counselling I realised that actually it was more to do with the tutors than myself and obviously these thoughts were reinforced by other students sharing their bad experiences.
From my own personal experience I found tutors incompetent with their teaching and feedback, extremely unsupportive, harsh with their marks, no interest in students wellbeing, lectures were hard to follow. I can honestly say that I have learned more from CPD's and online courses than I did with this course. The course is advertised as part-time but really its fulltime as not one person on my course was able to keep their job or not reduce their working hours drastically due to the amount of reading and assignments required (often overlapping). It is also common not to receive feedback before having to submit another essay. I have taken courses at other universities and never had any problems or saw so many unhappy students as I have with this one. Complaints on this course seem to be rocket high but ignored as its been ongoing for the past 10 years and nothing substantial has been done about it. In the first year I questioned my thoughts and feelings about the course as I felt that maybe it was to do with being new and having so much to learn but as the years went by and I understood more about counselling I realised that actually it was more to do with the tutors than myself and obviously these thoughts were reinforced by other students sharing their bad experiences.

Thank you for sharing this - it's not promising to say the least.

Despite emailing both of the uni staff I had been in contact with since, I now haven't heard anything back since submitting the essay. Even if it's a no, you would think they could let me know when they've clearly been in touch with at least one other person! That didn't fill me with optimism by itself but I wrote it off as being busy with the circumstances etc. Now I'm wondering if it's a warning of things to come as well!

To be honest what you've shared concerns me a lot. There is only one other place (in Manchester iirc!) that offers a course accredited for qualifying as a counsellor while also being a Masters in its own right which, with my circumstances, is all I will likely be able to fund any time soon, and which fulfils both of my goals in one, academically and professionally. I'm unsure what to do even if I am offered a place now!

EDIT - there are some others now coming up that definitely didn't when I applied, but they are logistically almost as bad as Manchester, where there was a possibility of moving to at least. This is still the only accredited MSc that I seem to be eligible for and geographically close enough to!
(edited 3 years ago)

I must say that this was my experience too. I could have written this post myself! It was also the experience of many others in my cohort. It was incredibly demoralising. Fortunately, CPD, support from good supervisors, and professional experience have helped make up the deficits and rebuild my self-esteem. Nonetheless, due to the experience I had, enrolling on that course remains one of my biggest regrets in life.
Reply 15
Thanks so so much for sharing both your experiences. I’m really in a muddle about my choice, the content/research elements, location, price all sounded great for me? I’ve also heard other stories about its rigorous nature and possibly unnecessary challenge but in very a positive light as well...what were employability levels like? Did you feel equipped to enter the field as a graduate? So appreciate your insight, thanks!
Thank you for sharing this - it's not promising to say the least.

Despite emailing both of the uni staff I had been in contact with since, I now haven't heard anything back since submitting the essay. Even if it's a no, you would think they could let me know when they've clearly been in touch with at least one other person! That didn't fill me with optimism by itself but I wrote it off as being busy with the circumstances etc. Now I'm wondering if it's a warning of things to come as well!

To be honest what you've shared concerns me a lot. There is only one other place (in Manchester iirc!) that offers a course accredited for qualifying as a counsellor while also being a Masters in its own right which, with my circumstances, is all I will likely be able to fund any time soon, and which fulfils both of my goals in one, academically and professionally. I'm unsure what to do even if I am offered a place now!

EDIT - there are some others now coming up that definitely didn't when I applied, but they are logistically almost as bad as Manchester, where there was a possibility of moving to at least. This is still the only accredited MSc that I seem to be eligible for and geographically close enough to!

Have you tried University of East London (which is also cheaper), Metanoia or Roehampton? I've heard very good feedback from the first two I mentioned.
Original post by Brooklyn20
I must say that this was my experience too. I could have written this post myself! It was also the experience of many others in my cohort. It was incredibly demoralising. Fortunately, CPD, support from good supervisors, and professional experience have helped make up the deficits and rebuild my self-esteem. Nonetheless, due to the experience I had, enrolling on that course remains one of my biggest regrets in life.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them as well! It really sounds awful to be honest. I appreciate you coming forward and sharing how you found it and I'm glad things have improved for you.

Have you tried University of East London (which is also cheaper), Metanoia or Roehampton? I've heard very good feedback from the first two I mentioned.

UEL is actually also a possibility - Roehampton just isn't practically doable for me due to location, but I'm definitely going to get in contact with UEL. Metanoia was on my radar but having checked on their site again it looks like they only offer undergrad courses in purely Counselling specifically, which I don't think I can fund as I already did a BA in a different subject.Thank you very much for your input and reminding me of UEL, though! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Greenwich and can't help feeling like not going would be dodging a bullet, having slept on it. I hope you've had a better time of things since completing it.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them as well! It really sounds awful to be honest. I appreciate you coming forward and sharing how you found it and I'm glad things have improved for you.

UEL is actually also a possibility - Roehampton just isn't practically doable for me due to location, but I'm definitely going to get in contact with UEL. Metanoia was on my radar but having checked on their site again it looks like they only offer undergrad courses in purely Counselling specifically, which I don't think I can fund as I already did a BA in a different subject.Thank you very much for your input and reminding me of UEL, though! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Greenwich and can't help feeling like not going would be dodging a bullet, having slept on it. I hope you've had a better time of things since completing it.

Thank you. Obviously, this is my personal perspective and others may well disagree, but it was one I shared with several others. Good luck on your journey :smile:
Reply 19

There's also Goldsmiths which does MA in Counselling (Psychodynamic)... Very close to Greenwich.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending