The Student Room Group

Psychology Qualifications

Hey guys
I'm currently an assistant psychologist. I graduated a couple months ago from my bachelors (four years coz placement) and was voluntary for two months or so before becoming full time.
I've been in my job for about a month, and I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of any qualifications I can do on the side just so I have a few more things under my belt? I'm not at this point yet thinking of doing a masters because I feel like it'll be too much right now and I haven't completely settled yet.
But I've seen like level 2 certificates in counselling skills and that seems like something good to have. Is anyone aware of other psychology-related qualifications that will be good to have?
Reply 1
Original post by zarx_20
Hey guys
I'm currently an assistant psychologist. I graduated a couple months ago from my bachelors (four years coz placement) and was voluntary for two months or so before becoming full time.
I've been in my job for about a month, and I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of any qualifications I can do on the side just so I have a few more things under my belt? I'm not at this point yet thinking of doing a masters because I feel like it'll be too much right now and I haven't completely settled yet.
But I've seen like level 2 certificates in counselling skills and that seems like something good to have. Is anyone aware of other psychology-related qualifications that will be good to have?

I was going to suggest a counselling skills certificate. I did my level 3 alongside my BSc and then a level 4 diploma alongside working as an AP. It's definitely been helpful, and I now work as a CBT Therapist. I don't personally know much about other courses, but have a search around. Something involving therapeutic skills would likely be good, as that doesn't tend to be covered as much during a psychology degree (though your placement year may have given you good experience in this area).
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
I was going to suggest a counselling skills certificate. I did my level 3 alongside my BSc and then a level 4 diploma alongside working as an AP. It's definitely been helpful, and I now work as a CBT Therapist. I don't personally know much about other courses, but have a search around. Something involving therapeutic skills would likely be good, as that doesn't tend to be covered as much during a psychology degree (though your placement year may have given you good experience in this area).

Where would you recommend I source the certificate from? I was thinking the BACP
Reply 3
Original post by zarx_20
Where would you recommend I source the certificate from? I was thinking the BACP

did you have any prior experience before securing the ap role?
Reply 4
Original post by ThyNDS
did you have any prior experience before securing the ap role?

Hmm not necessarily like major jobs. I have a wide range of volunteering that could be described as somewhat psychologically relevant. I think the only major thing before my current AP post was my placement year
Original post by zarx_20
Hey guys

Hey @zarx_20 ,

Congratulations on the role! How are you finding it?

I think one thing to consider so you dont waste your money on qualifications that do not help your career is considering how helpful it might be towards that? If you are not sure and just want some experience in a variety of things then there are other free ways to explore this.

One of these ways is an open university course. They sometimes have a lot of options to choose from! SO you get a bit of a flavour of what the topic is eg child psychology, forensic, criminology, counselling before you dive in as you already have an AP role.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest