The Student Room Group

List of universities to avoid if you're black/non-white?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizigw
If white students are speaking up about problems, as well as POC students, then I do believe it. OFC, its your opinion and different students have different experiences but for me personally I wouldn't want to go there when I feel that the institution itself isn't doing enough to make students feel protected. That's my choice :smile:

Yep it is your choice but Twitter is not proof. I actually talk to students who go there and know who I think is most likely to be telling the truth.
hi,

sorry to be that person but - you can not define a university on whether or not it’s racist based on a minority of students. the news headlines we all read surround around 10 students out of thousands who study there, it would be unfair to call the whole university racist just because of 10 people who used to study there (after being removed or something due to their actions).
Oh deaaaaar.... As somebody who is black, I want to facepalm myself back into 2019.
Original post by Anonymous
How

You are anon - at least have the decency to post under your own name :smile:

I'm a teacher.
Be my guest, go to Durham, Exeter or Newcastle then.

You're naive.

Nah I'm not naive. I'm just capable of understanding that racists exist everywhere and I'm not going to let them control my life and make me make life choices based on how to avoid them. Also, I've already been to university before, am currently at my second one, and have experienced no racism whatsoever. The only people who have made me feel uncomfortable about my skin colour have ironically been some black people who think asking intrusive questions is ok because we share the same skin colour.

Also, I'm getting the vibe that you're probably a troll.
(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry, but this is absolutely stupid. Do you know what will happen if "non-white" people avoid certain universities? They will become even more "non-white". How on Earth does that help? It doesn't help with representation. It doesn't help with awareness. All it might end up doing is assuring that racist people get to live in a "more white" environment.

Also, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Not every person at a certain university will be racist. Some "non-white" people who have been to the universities you've mentioned have experienced absolutely no racism.

Unfortunately, I can almost guarantee you that racism is possible at every university. There's no point in avoiding a university just because you've heard that there has been racism.
I think I attend the university with 70% bame admissions to 2019.
And we get emails about racist incidents happening on campus occasionally from the student union. It’s sadly everywhere.
As someone who goes to Northumbria, I've never come across a single incident
Oxbridge and St Andrews have a pretty bad reputation when it comes to minority participation. I actually read an article a few days back about St Andrews apologising for that.
Oxford I know from personal experience. I went for my interview a couple of years back and out of 3–400 people I didn’t see a single, not a single, black applicant.
Oxbridge and St Andrews have a pretty bad reputation when it comes to minority participation. I actually read an article a few days back about St Andrews apologising for that.
Oxford I know from personal experience. I went for my interview a couple of years back and out of 3–400 people I didn’t see a single, not a single, black applicant.

https://news.st-andrews.ac.uk/archive/blm-st-andrews-says-sorry/

At least St Andrews is acknowledging the issue.
You say all that yet you're dismissing the idea that some universities may have racism problem on the basis that you have not experienced racism at university. I bet you went to university in the South East and not at any of the universities mentioned so far.

This whole I'm not like other black people/minorities act is quite transparent and never good look for anyone...

Happy to appease, eh?

So you don't think racism exists in the South East? :rolleyes:

You plainly just posted as Anon with the intention of insulting people from the start which as you would say is never a good look
You say all that yet you're dismissing the idea that some universities may have racism problem on the basis that you have not experienced racism at university. I bet you went to university in the South East and not at any of the universities mentioned so far.

This whole I'm not like other black people/minorities act is quite transparent and never good look for anyone...

Happy to appease, eh?

No, I just choose to not victimise myself before anything actually happens, just because of my skin colour. Nothing to do with appeasing white 'appeasing' white people, just having dignity. If you want to segregate yourself that's your choice, but racists exist everywhere. I am not dismissing the idea that some universities may have issues with racism, but to actively make life choices like this is ridiculous. You're just letting racists control your life without them actually having to do anything.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TigerRoll
If by some miracle they aren't a troll, they are just a coward.

Agree 100%
"List of universities to avoid if you're white?"

Imagine the OP had used this title- all **** would have broken loose.
Original post by TigerRoll
No, I just choose to not make myself a victim before anything actually happens, just because of my skin colour. If you want to segregate yourself that's your choice, but racists exist everywhere. I am not dismissing the idea that some universities may have issues with racism, but to actively make life choices like this is ridiculous. You're just letting racists control your life without them actually having to do anything.
I disagree. In light of what's been coming out of Durham for the past two months for example, I would say it makes a lot of sense to avoid going there. The Tab found 25+ black/minority current students who have experienced racism at the university (horrific reading) -- and there aren't a lot of BAME students at Durham anyway. So it 100% makes sense to avoid Durham.
I disagree. In light of what's been coming out of Durham for the past two months for example, I would say it makes a lot of sense to avoid going there. The Tab found 25+ black/minority current students who have experienced racism at the university (horrific reading) -- and there aren't a lot of BAME students at Durham anyway. So it 100% makes sense to avoid Durham.

Why? So the environment becomes even less welcoming to "non-white" students?
A substantial number of students will be relatively progressive and you won't find many openly racist people anywhere. Underrepresentation of minorities does not mean there'll be racists there.

fwiw I go to warwick which isn't in the south east.

25 out of nearly 20,000 students? Im genuinely curious

I have read that article. If that's the way you feel, so be it. But if Durham university had something I sought after to better my education, I wouldn't let the prospect of potentially dealing with racists stop me. I'm living my life for myself, not for them.
Original post by Lightning720
Why? So the environment becomes even less welcoming to "non-white" students?

If you want to subject yourself to racist abuse willingly for the sake of helping posterity, then sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending