The Student Room Group

should i take 4 a levels

I'm planning on taking english, history and physics, although im debating on taking maths. My only reason is i prefer the other three over maths and have gotten 9's at GCSE in them. Although maths would help with physics and i normally got a 7 at GCSE. My sixth form does offer a maths for physics help class if you decide to take physics without maths, which is another option. I could take 4 and drop one of them in the first term. I see myself either taking english or physics further and therefore although i enjoy history, it seems maths is a better alternative for my choices after college. please help!
Original post by lclarke23
I'm planning on taking english, history and physics, although im debating on taking maths. My only reason is i prefer the other three over maths and have gotten 9's at GCSE in them. Although maths would help with physics and i normally got a 7 at GCSE. My sixth form does offer a maths for physics help class if you decide to take physics without maths, which is another option. I could take 4 and drop one of them in the first term. I see myself either taking english or physics further and therefore although i enjoy history, it seems maths is a better alternative for my choices after college. please help!

You need to check degree requirements. Do you need Maths A level for a Physics degree at a good university?

Put your A level choices into here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
You need to check degree requirements. Do you need Maths A level for a Physics degree at a good university?

Put your A level choices into here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

thanks. yes - most do require maths unless you take a foundation year in maths at university. which i could consider but seems pointless if i just take the a level instead.
I'm planning on taking four - Maths, Bio, Chem and ICT - and I'll probably be dropping one of them in the first year but I'm not really sure yet. If you are thinking on dropping one, I'd say plan ahead. Does the job/uni you need require that subject or not? Do you like the subject in question? etc etc :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Random_Person21
I'm planning on taking four - Maths, Bio, Chem and ICT - and I'll probably be dropping one of them in the first year but I'm not really sure yet. If you are thinking on dropping one, I'd say plan ahead. Does the job/uni you need require that subject or not? Do you like the subject in question? etc etc :smile:

yeah i could drop one in the first year. yes most require maths for university. i like history more than maths but i still enjoy them both.
Reply 5
I would say that you’re best starting with all four and then dropping one, can you not do an AS in one so that you can decide at the end of year 12 or does your school not offer this?

But you probably will be best doing maths and getting rid of history/english if you do want to do a physics degree. I wouldn’t really recommend doing 4 all the way through until the end of y13 as it’s just not really worth it and even though you may not want to drop history/english as you enjoy it, having it as a fourth a level would probably take the joy out of it anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by e2002!
I would say that you’re best starting with all four and then dropping one, can you not do an AS in one so that you can decide at the end of year 12 or does your school not offer this?

But you probably will be best doing maths and getting rid of history/english if you do want to do a physics degree. I wouldn’t really recommend doing 4 all the way through until the end of y13 as it’s just not really worth it and even though you may not want to drop history/english as you enjoy it, having it as a fourth a level would probably take the joy out of it anyway.

thank you. no my school doesn't offer AS but i would do that if it was an option. yeah i think its probably easiest to drop history or english so thanks.
I did maths and physics at A level and maths definitely helped with the physics content - there's quite a bit of overlap due to the fact that you do mechanics in maths and physics. There was only one person who didn't do maths but did physics and they were fine. I think it took them longer to grasp some of the maths concepts but they eventually got there. However, If you're considering a physics degree, I imagine maths will be necessary (or at least preferable) so I would recommend trying all 4 to begin with.

I did 4 A levels and it was hard. You have to make sure that you keep on top of writing notes and creating revision resources from the start of year 12. If you don't understand something, ask for help straight away. You will need to do lots of practice questions for maths and physics throughout years 12 and 13. I recommend the website physics and maths tutor for questions.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily5243
I did maths and physics at A level and maths definitely helped with the physics content - there's quite a bit of overlap due to the fact that you do mechanics in maths and physics. There was only one person who didn't do maths but did physics and they were fine. I think it took them longer to grasp some of the maths concepts but they eventually got there. However, If you're considering a physics degree, I imagine maths will be necessary (or at least preferable) so I would recommend trying all 4 to begin with.

I did 4 A levels and it was hard. You have to make sure that you keep on top of writing notes and creating revision resources from the start of year 12. If you don't understand something, ask for help straight away. You will need to do lots of practice questions for maths and physics throughout years 12 and 13. I recommend the website physics and maths tutor for questions.

Thanks that's really helpful - i'll use that website. Yes i'm thinking to start with 4 now and drop one as nearly all physics degree's require a maths a level.
I do physics at Uni and its a requirement to do maths for physics. For me, a first-year, we have a module on maths called Mathematical Techniques. Generally, people do Further Maths along with Physics so I recommend that if you do want to pursue Physics, then choose Maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by anonymous_0715
I do physics at Uni and its a requirement to do maths for physics. For me, a first-year, we have a module on maths called Mathematical Techniques. Generally, people do Further Maths along with Physics so I recommend that if you do want to pursue Physics, then choose Maths.

thanks. I'm two months into my a levels and chose maths and physics. Definitely helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest