The Student Room Group

Masters Application

Please let me get your opinions:

For a masters application to UCL, LSE and Kings college, can you detail what percentage things like personal statement, transcript and other factors play a role in getting offers. Of course - each uni varies.
Original post by Dragon89
Please let me get your opinions:

For a masters application to UCL, LSE and Kings college, can you detail what percentage things like personal statement, transcript and other factors play a role in getting offers. Of course - each uni varies.

Those are all prestigious places.....

There is no way to effectively give you a clear answer to that question, as no university has absolute rules or breakdowns and this in theory would be impossible...ultimately university admissions select their students on set criteria like grades...but the assessment of personal statements and even how transcripts are assessed...remains mysterious. It goes very much by feeling and random likely gut feeling of admissions tutors/decision makers.

Generally the process goes like this, they would look at your entire situation, how many students that are in your profile they still need to acquire and make a decision if you've met base criteria they look for.

Here is where it get's complex...universities for example have partnerships with other uni's and deem some unis better then others and may assess your application on that bias...your previous education also plays a role...people can argue about how much it plays a role, often people say it doesn't matter as long as you have the appropriate grades...but then ultimately people do get rejected right.

I would say for those universities you've mentioned....great grades, great personal statement, great previous university all help but don't guarantee anything. Generally though if you haven't studied at the university of under the rocks of Tahiti (not real) and have taken the application seriously you stand a good chance.

I can tell you my friend just got accepted at Kings and was rejected from LSE. He had a decent profile, and attended University of Nottingham.

But then i can also give you another example and this kind of in my opinion backs up my lengthy thesis on this topic....me and a M8 both applied to University of Manchester, i got accepted for a more oversubscribed course and he got rejected...even though we both attended the same University (Notts)....just show's you how random it truly can be.
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Those are all prestigious places.....

There is no way to effectively give you a clear answer to that question, as no university has absolute rules or breakdowns and this in theory would be impossible...ultimately university admissions select their students on set criteria like grades...but the assessment of personal statements and even how transcripts are assessed...remains mysterious. It goes very much by feeling and random likely gut feeling of admissions tutors/decision makers.

Generally the process goes like this, they would look at your entire situation, how many students that are in your profile they still need to acquire and make a decision if you've met base criteria they look for.

Here is where it get's complex...universities for example have partnerships with other uni's and deem some unis better then others and may assess your application on that bias...your previous education also plays a role...people can argue about how much it plays a role, often people say it doesn't matter as long as you have the appropriate grades...but then ultimately people do get rejected right.

I would say for those universities you've mentioned....great grades, great personal statement, great previous university all help but don't guarantee anything. Generally though if you haven't studied at the university of under the rocks of Tahiti (not real) and have taken the application seriously you stand a good chance.

I can tell you my friend just got accepted at Kings and was rejected from LSE. He had a decent profile, and attended University of Nottingham.

But then i can also give you another example and this kind of in my opinion backs up my lengthy thesis on this topic....me and a M8 both applied to University of Manchester, i got accepted for a more oversubscribed course and he got rejected...even though we both attended the same University (Notts)....just show's you how random it truly can be.

Thanks for this reply! I am going to be very honest. I done management at Royal Holloway, my results (I graduate this year) look like this:
Year 1 - 53% (2:2)
Year 2 - 48% (3rd) had ECs
Year 3 - 80% (1st)

From that I calculated my degree will be a first class.

Very odd position I seem to be in. I have further questions:

1. If I have good work experience will that play a role ?
2. Do them level 7 management CMI certified courses help my case ?
3. I feel a deep hole in my studies and I messed around for like 1-2 years of my studies and I feel like I still want to learn more. Is there a way forward.

I hope you can answer!

Thanks
Original post by Dragon89
Thanks for this reply! I am going to be very honest. I done management at Royal Holloway, my results (I graduate this year) look like this:
Year 1 - 53% (2:2)
Year 2 - 48% (3rd) had ECs
Year 3 - 80% (1st)

From that I calculated my degree will be a first class.

Very odd position I seem to be in. I have further questions:

1. If I have good work experience will that play a role ?
2. Do them level 7 management CMI certified courses help my case ?
3. I feel a deep hole in my studies and I messed around for like 1-2 years of my studies and I feel like I still want to learn more. Is there a way forward.

I hope you can answer!

Thanks

Lol 😂 don't let the tiny physical size of Royal Holloways management building fool you.....Royal Holloway isn't a bad uni by any means! I nearly went there it was my insurance and was there on an open day 😂, but the building was so tiny i chose Nottingham instead, (I'm a management grad too 2020).

But no your degree shouldn't be an issue, you just need a good PS statement and work experience isn't really a big deal...for a Master's in Management, and sure anything you put on your CV (certificates) is a plus but if it's part of your degree i wouldn't worry.

I would focus on your PS, that's really all you can truly change on the application at this point if you think about.

The strategy to employ is to introduce myself briefly, then really make sure i understand the modules and have reasons of why I'm interested in the course structure. It's always good to tickle them a bit about this. Then make sure you have a vision for yourself... Why are you doing a master's... But don't answer it how you did to me... Which is honest but not what they want to hear... They want successful alumni. So create a rough career plan and convey how your degree specifically will help you achieve your goals whatever those may be. Really the more you can seem put together and aware of what your getting into as a future master's student the better chance you have of graduating! So to sum up intro, course details (talk about electives and give reasons) career trajectory and how course helps and conclusion.

If you want to PM i can send you my PS for the uni's I've gotten into, Manchester and University of Groningen (Netherlands) they're also notoriously oversubscribed. I have Leeds also to but i think it's a bit easier. Yea but I'm personally heading to the NL for the sake of adventure :smile:

Everyone and their mom wants an MSc in business 😂.

But you've got a pretty good shot, coming from another London uni also makes you a safe choice for them..if you think about it. Ultimately you have a first overall... That's more important than second year. Congrats by the way! 👏 👏
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Lol 😂 don't let the tiny physical size of Royal Holloways management building fool you.....Royal Holloway isn't a bad uni by any means! I nearly went there it was my insurance and was there on an open day 😂, but the building was so tiny i chose Nottingham instead, (I'm a management grad too 2020).

But no your degree shouldn't be an issue, you just need a good PS statement and work experience isn't really a big deal...for a Master's in Management, and sure anything you put on your CV (certificates) is a plus but if it's part of your degree i wouldn't worry.

I would focus on your PS, that's really all you can truly change on the application at this point if you think about.

The strategy to employ is to introduce myself briefly, then really make sure i understand the modules and have reasons of why I'm interested in the course structure. It's always good to tickle them a bit about this. Then make sure you have a vision for yourself... Why are you doing a master's... But don't answer it how you did to me... Which is honest but not what they want to hear... They want successful alumni. So create a rough career plan and convey how your degree specifically will help you achieve your goals whatever those may be. Really the more you can seem put together and aware of what your getting into as a future master's student the better chance you have of graduating! So to sum up intro, course details (talk about electives and give reasons) career trajectory and how course helps and conclusion.

If you want to PM i can send you my PS for the uni's I've gotten into, Manchester and University of Groningen (Netherlands) they're also notoriously oversubscribed. I have Leeds also to but i think it's a bit easier. Yea but I'm personally heading to the NL for the sake of adventure :smile:

Everyone and their mom wants an MSc in business 😂.

But you've got a pretty good shot, coming from another London uni also makes you a safe choice for them..if you think about it. Ultimately you have a first overall... That's more important than second year. Congrats by the way! 👏 👏

😂 congrats to you too!

Every degree is an achievement imo and we should all celebrate! 🎉 What did you study btw? I really appreciate the kind words I will PM you right now!

Anyway, I think you will have a great time. You seem like you have everything planned efficiently which is awesome! You make so much sense and it relaxes me hahaha.

Thanks mate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending