The Student Room Group

GLS (GLP) Training Contract applications (2020)

Scroll to see replies

Just completed the SJT, found it really difficult some of the questions were really hard as a couple of the answers seemed just as reasonable as each other :/ anyone else struggle?
I also thought i would be able to go back and check my answers before submitting... but no.. got to the last question (didnt even realise it was last one) and clicked next and that was it submitted. Really not holding out hope for a good outcome lol
I received an email acknowledging my application but haven’t yet received a link for the SJT. As far as eligibility goes I’m eligible. I’ll give it till the end of the week.....I’ll let you know how I found the SJT as soon as I’ve done it.
Original post by UKstarfleet
I received an email acknowledging my application but haven’t yet received a link for the SJT. As far as eligibility goes I’m eligible. I’ll give it till the end of the week.....I’ll let you know how I found the SJT as soon as I’ve done it.

Mine went into Junk mail for some reason, have you checked yours?
Original post by Tanblob
Hi - there are some problems with the application form and linkage to the Tazio test platform. Some of the questions are putting candidates on hold even though they are eligible. The team are working through these to try to understand who is affected and what questions (or combinations of answers to questions) are causing this.

It is a slow process because it may not be the application form itself but the integration with the Tazio test portal. The reason that some people got their tests after a couple of hours is because tests are being triggered as the errors are being found.

If it all works correctly you get the test sent out automatically within a minute or so.

Thanks for replying
Original post by CharleneH87
Mine went into Junk mail for some reason, have you checked yours?

Thanks for the suggestion I checked junk but no email ☹️
Original post by Tanblob
The integration with Tazio is still pretty experimental. Most other campaigns we run have a manual set-up (everyday the team downloads a report of applications and then loads it up to the Tazio system to invite).

The problem with that approach is that it takes a lot of time to run reports and load applicant lists to invite them. And the results have to be downloaded and entered back into the mainframe system. With the very high volumes of applicants (expecting about 4,000 this year) and the tight timescales, it would all crash. Also there is the risk of human error that worsens with the haste of the processing.

Tazio is a bit rickety and bland like the main application form. The GLP brand logo looks like it's been pasted on in a rush. It's all a bit nasty but it was decided that this would be better than having it all undermined like last year.

So far we have 456 unanswered e-mails in the box and a large number from the title header look like being test-related.

Thank you for keeping everyone updated
Original post by Tanblob
The integration with Tazio is still pretty experimental. Most other campaigns we run have a manual set-up (everyday the team downloads a report of applications and then loads it up to the Tazio system to invite).

The problem with that approach is that it takes a lot of time to run reports and load applicant lists to invite them. And the results have to be downloaded and entered back into the mainframe system. With the very high volumes of applicants (expecting about 4,000 this year) and the tight timescales, it would all crash. Also there is the risk of human error that worsens with the haste of the processing.

Tazio is a bit rickety and bland like the main application form. The GLP brand logo looks like it's been pasted on in a rush. It's all a bit nasty but it was decided that this would be better than having it all undermined like last year.

So far we have 456 unanswered e-mails in the box and a large number from the title header look like being test-related.

Would you suggest that anyone with an issue emails in and waits for a response rather than just waiting?
Reply 67
Original post by UKstarfleet
Would you suggest that anyone with an issue emails in and waits for a response rather than just waiting?

It depends. The team is mostly working on emails then going line-by-line on applications to understand what has happened. If we have times of submission of the test, we can then match up scores to the right applicants. We are also waiting fro reports from Tazio to clarify candidate names and scores.

As a result, there is a skeleton resource (just one person) picking up calls and nobody dedicated to ongoing e-mail responses (but if a test is released by the system after investigation) there will be automatic responses (i.e. people will get invited, which answers the question)

So if you want to speak to someone now, it's likely going to be a problem. Even if answered, the call will be picked up by by the wider cal centre who so not work on the GLP account. They will just take a message and - e-mail it to us!

You could wait to see if your response is one that seeps through. However, we will likely give our site in Gurgaon India access to the mailbox once we have answers on the test invitation fault and they will clear down the backlog quickly (fingers crossed)
Original post by Tanblob
It depends. The team is mostly working on emails then going line-by-line on applications to understand what has happened. If we have times of submission of the test, we can then match up scores to the right applicants. We are also waiting fro reports from Tazio to clarify candidate names and scores.

As a result, there is a skeleton resource (just one person) picking up calls and nobody dedicated to ongoing e-mail responses (but if a test is released by the system after investigation) there will be automatic responses (i.e. people will get invited, which answers the question)

So if you want to speak to someone now, it's likely going to be a problem. Even if answered, the call will be picked up by by the wider cal centre who so not work on the GLP account. They will just take a message and - e-mail it to us!

You could wait to see if your response is one that seeps through. However, we will likely give our site in Gurgaon India access to the mailbox once we have answers on the test invitation fault and they will clear down the backlog quickly (fingers crossed)

🤞

Thanks for your responses which is massively appreciated.
Original post by Tanblob

Hi Tanblob,

I'm going to post a couple of questions about the application here on the off-chance you'll reply. I couldn't get through on the phone, so I sent an email, but if you've got 455 other unanswered emails I don't anticipate getting a reply to mine soon!

For context, I'm a career-switcher (currently working full-time) who completed university 10 years ago. I'm applying for either the solicitor or barrister role (with a preference for barrister) to start in September 2022.

1. Employment references covering the last 3 years.
I cannot give my current manager as a referee, as I'm still employed by the company in a senior role and have not made it known that I intend to leave in 2022. I am happy to provide referees for my previous 2 employments (covering the period May 2016-January 2019). Will this be sufficient?
2. Academic reference.
I finished my degree a decade ago, and no longer know where my personal tutor is - I doubt she would remember me! Can I provide more employer references instead? How shall I represent this on the form?
3. Intended course, provider and dates.
I'd prefer to secure a barrister role but will make my choice of course (BPTC/LPC) according to which traineeship I obtain, if I am successful. Is it OK, therefore, to simply put the BPTC down for now?

Finally, I do not know the precise dates the courses will commence or finish, as these have not been released. Is it sufficient to enter the 1st day of the month as a commencement date, since I do at least know the month?

Extremely grateful for any advice from anyone on these points!
Reply 70
Original post by LunaMajor
Hi Tanblob,

I'm going to post a couple of questions about the application here on the off-chance you'll reply. I couldn't get through on the phone, so I sent an email, but if you've got 455 other unanswered emails I don't anticipate getting a reply to mine soon!

For context, I'm a career-switcher (currently working full-time) who completed university 10 years ago. I'm applying for either the solicitor or barrister role (with a preference for barrister) to start in September 2022.

1. Employment references covering the last 3 years.
I cannot give my current manager as a referee, as I'm still employed by the company in a senior role and have not made it known that I intend to leave in 2022. I am happy to provide referees for my previous 2 employments (covering the period May 2016-January 2019). Will this be sufficient?
2. Academic reference.
I finished my degree a decade ago, and no longer know where my personal tutor is - I doubt she would remember me! Can I provide more employer references instead? How shall I represent this on the form?
3. Intended course, provider and dates.
I'd prefer to secure a barrister role but will make my choice of course (BPTC/LPC) according to which traineeship I obtain, if I am successful. Is it OK, therefore, to simply put the BPTC down for now?

Finally, I do not know the precise dates the courses will commence or finish, as these have not been released. Is it sufficient to enter the 1st day of the month as a commencement date, since I do at least know the month?

Extremely grateful for any advice from anyone on these points!

You don't need to worry about references at this stage because if the GLP make you an offer, we will contact you for permission to contact 1, 2, or all 3 referees. That is the point when you can discuss any particular challenges.

So, for your most recent professional referee, you can put them down now and nobody is going to get contacted until you say so. Or alternatively state the dates and 'reference is available - need to discuss' in the name spaces.

For the academic referee, put her name and the institution anyway. When it comes to the time, you can explain that she may not be there and the team will contact the department secretary at your old university. They can then pull up a general reference from the records. Some universities provide this as a standard anyway.

On the BPTC/LPC point, it is fine to put down what your current intention is and the first day of the month when you'd be starting. The point of this in the form is to demonstrate that you would have the time to complete all components of the the training contract entry requirements before your training contract start date.

Hope that all helps!

We're now up to 560+ but sadly I have been allocated to another contract for most of the day :frown:
Original post by Tanblob
You don't need to worry about references at this stage because if the GLP make you an offer, we will contact you for permission to contact 1, 2, or all 3 referees. That is the point when you can discuss any particular challenges.

So, for your most recent professional referee, you can put them down now and nobody is going to get contacted until you say so. Or alternatively state the dates and 'reference is available - need to discuss' in the name spaces.

For the academic referee, put her name and the institution anyway. When it comes to the time, you can explain that she may not be there and the team will contact the department secretary at your old university. They can then pull up a general reference from the records. Some universities provide this as a standard anyway.

On the BPTC/LPC point, it is fine to put down what your current intention is and the first day of the month when you'd be starting. The point of this in the form is to demonstrate that you would have the time to complete all components of the the training contract entry requirements before your training contract start date.

Hope that all helps!

We're now up to 560+ but sadly I have been allocated to another contract for most of the day :frown:

Hi

sorry i know your really busy but should we have a confirmation for completing the SJT? i completed yesterday but didnt receive a confirmation through email is that ok? Also ive somehow managed to open 3 more applications when ive been trying to log in to my original application.. do i just leave them on my account? im worried if i click withdraw it may also erase my completed application lol!

My account doesnt show any completed application but i did have an email and then obvioulsy completed the SJT through the link provided.

Thanks
Reply 72
Original post by CharleneH87
Hi

sorry i know your really busy but should we have a confirmation for completing the SJT? i completed yesterday but didnt receive a confirmation through email is that ok? Also ive somehow managed to open 3 more applications when ive been trying to log in to my original application.. do i just leave them on my account? im worried if i click withdraw it may also erase my completed application lol!

My account doesnt show any completed application but i did have an email and then obvioulsy completed the SJT through the link provided.

Thanks

Hi - unfortunately Tazio is a really cheap app and doesn't not have the functionality within it to send confirmations, it just displays on the screen that you have submitted the test. So if you did not screenshot the final screen, you may still be able to get it back up by clicking on the original invitation link and screenshotting what you see. Because the link is personal and one-off it will be clear to one of us that the test has been used when we see the screenshot.

If your application has disappeared from Talentlink candidate homepage, this is a known fault to do with the integration and is happening for those who are sent the test link (this is being franticaly investigated as we speak!!). Those who have not been invited to SJT will still be able to see their application. I'm not sure whether your application will have been temporarily lost from view, but do not worry because:

1. it is impossible to have been invited to the test if you hadn't applied

2. Your application cannot be lost completely if when you log in you appear to be generating new applications. When you access your candidate homepage you should only use the link that you were e-mailed when you first registered.

If you log in by clicking the 'Apply' link, you effectively create a new application because it pulls through all the data that exists in the same fields from your previous application. Don't worry. As long as you do not press 'submit' they are simply unsubmitted and will be invisible to our team. The fact that you have been able to do this is evidence that your application data is still in there! ;-)
Original post by Tanblob
[brilliant answer to all LunaMajor's problems]

Tanblob you're my hero. I'll get on with it right away and submit it today :smile:

Thank you.
Reply 74
@Tanblob Thank you for these answers, I think they will help out many candidates who have not been able to get through to the GovTrainees recruitment team through the official channels. It is however again a shame that your bosses have not invested in this service by putting resource behind it and by cobbling together what is clearly a ramshackle, poundshop process (and probably charging the earth)

And damning that the need for process changes was 100% due to their lax attitude to data security last year, a cover-up, and then some basically incompetent attempts to sort it.

But thank you though for doing in your own time, free-of-charge, what people who are paid to do, cannot be bothered to do.

It's however massively concerning that scores are either missing or attributed to the wrong people, and that people have not yet even received tests. Application forms vanishing, rambling unprofessional e-mails, spelling mistakes still on the application form as per last year.

I'm dreading applying tbh
Hi, I am a British Citizen and I am one of these eligible candidates who has not received the SJT email. I have tried to telephone the office on countless occasions but I can never get through to anyone. I have also emailed but with no luck. I am growing increasingly concerned that I will never receive the email. I have been looking forward to applying to this unique in-house TC all year and this is causing me great anxiety. Do you think we will get this email before the deadline on the 28th?
Reply 76
How did those who have taken the SJT find it? Also, has anyone been given the link to the VRT? :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by AthaurR
How did those who have taken the SJT find it? Also, has anyone been given the link to the VRT? :smile:

Hi - the VRT link will not be sent out to anybody until 31st July at the earliest! :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Grimer

I'm dreading applying tbh

Join the club! It's beyond even last year's chaos of widespread unaddressed cheating. It's going some to admit that cheats and lost test scores is almost innocuous in comparison with the new norm: tests don't even getting sent out, scores allocated to the wrong applicants, nobody knowing who is who, and the only saving grace is a recruitment team member who has come out to bat when everyone else is running for cover :mad:

Thank you though @Tanblob for putting us in the picture and making sense of some of this madness!
Reply 79
Hi,
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how long after submitting the application I will find out if I will be able to sit the SJT.
I submitted the application on Tuesday and last year I received the link straight after.
Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending