The Student Room Group

Car V5C and Tax issue - help?

So I bought a 2008 clio TCE 1.2 Back in April 2020
I recieved new owner slip and sent it off with V62 to get a New V5C to register car in my name also so that I could tax it.
Long story cut short its been almost 4 months and still havent recieved it so I still havent taxed it in my name.
But the vehicle is still taxed when I check on GOV website from previous owner which expires in November 2020 - which isnt right as they should have cancelled and recieved refund of it by now so I am kind of covered until November (I think) I know that tax doesnt transfer but it kind of does if the guy hasnt cancelled his yet? or am i wrong.

I have now decided to try again and send off another V62 and pay 25 pounds via cheque this week coming.

Any ideas how screwed I am legally.
And what else can I do??

I have called DVLA they said coronavirus causes delays. But I doubt delays of this length are justifiable.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BlueSpikes
So I bought a 2008 clio TCE 1.2 Back in April 2020
I recieved new owner slip and sent it off with V62 to get a New V5C to register car in my name also so that I could tax it.
Long story cut short its been almost 4 months and still havent recieved it so I still havent taxed it in my name.
But the vehicle is still taxed when I check on GOV website from previous owner which expires in November 2020 - which isnt right as they should have cancelled and recieved refund of it by now so I am kind of covered until November (I think) I know that tax doesnt transfer but it kind of does if the guy hasnt cancelled his yet? or am i wrong.

I have now decided to try again and send off another V62 and pay 25 pounds via cheque this week coming.

Any ideas how screwed I am legally.
And what else can I do??

I have called DVLA they said coronavirus causes delays. But I doubt delays of this length are justifiable.

Delays are justifiable. Why didn't you just do it online?

Paper forms are taking an INCREDIBLY long time to process as DVLA staff are working from home.

You could have transferred ownership and taxed the vehicle in a few minutes on GOV.UK.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
Delays are justifiable. Why didn't you just do it online?

Paper forms are taking an INCREDIBLY long time to process as DVLA staff are working from home.

You could have transferred ownership and taxed the vehicle in a few minutes on GOV.UK.

Online I am unable to tax the V5C/2 number as it is said to be invalid.

I wish the seller would have helped me with transferring ownership online but he ran away as soon as purchase was done.

If almost 3 months is justifiable then fair enough.

I heard that by taxing a vehicle in the post office also registers vehicle or sends V5C to your address. Is this still true ?
Reply 3

I wish the seller would have helped me with transferring ownership online but he ran away as soon as purchase was done.

If almost 3 months is justifiable then fair enough.

I heard that by taxing a vehicle in the post office also registers vehicle or sends V5C to your address. Is this still true ?

Not sure how you can tax it without any paperwork...
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
Not sure how you can tax it without any paperwork...

You tax it using a v62 form

From GOV site:
You might be able to tax your vehicle at a Post Office and order a new log book at the same time.

Take in a filled in application for a log book (V62) and £25 fee to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax - the Post Office will tell you if you can tax without the log book.

It can take up to 6 weeks to get the replacement log book by post.

I think I found the solution to my problem will try this on Monday and hopefully after 4 to 6 weeks I have a V5C.

Cheers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
You tax it using a v62 form

From GOV site:
You might be able to tax your vehicle at a Post Office and order a new log book at the same time.

Take in a filled in application for a log book (V62) and £25 fee to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax - the Post Office will tell you if you can tax without the log book.

It can take up to 6 weeks to get the replacement log book by post.

I think I found the solution to my problem will try this on Monday and hopefully after 4 to 6 weeks I have a V5C.

Cheers.

Don't expect anything fast. There's still virtually no one available to process paper applications...
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Don't expect anything fast. There's still virtually no one available to process paper applications...

Ok,
How screwed am I if police pull me over to find out i have no registration or paid for tax yet due to covid?
Ok,
How screwed am I if police pull me over to find out i have no registration or paid for tax yet due to covid?

They won't initially care about the registration, but it's up to 1k for the no tax, or they obv clamp it if they find it parked with no tax. You apparently can apply for a V5 AND Tax at the same time at the PO, but...

"You might be able to tax your vehicle at a Post Office and order a new log book at the same time.

It can take up to 6 weeks to get the replacement log book by post." (Gov.UK)

I'd be very worried about the use of the words 'might' and 'If' there personally.
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
They won't initially care about the registration, but it's up to 1k for the no tax, or they obv clamp it if they find it parked with no tax. You apparently can apply for a V5 AND Tax at the same time at the PO, but...

"You might be able to tax your vehicle at a Post Office and order a new log book at the same time.

It can take up to 6 weeks to get the replacement log book by post." (Gov.UK)

I'd be very worried about the use of the words 'might' and 'If' there personally.

Thank you for your wise words.
So it is taxed but in the other drivers name obviously tax isnt transferrable. But if they were to check technically it is taxed if you get what I mean. If I search up my registration it is taxed until Nov 2020, so they wont be able to clamp it and take it away right along with the 1k fee.

I too was worried about going into the Post office to then be referred to the police if they find out I havent taxed it in my name yet. Its a very tricky situation.

What do you think is best course of action?

I am planning to go to the post office and pay for tax 1 year maybe ask to backdate it if possible and the £25 fee for the V5C and come clean. But thinking about it - its a risky one.
Reply 9

This line is kind of alarming, I cannot lie....
Original post by FRS500
This line is kind of alarming, I cannot lie....

What I mean is that after buying it he was like I gotta go due to the covid situation. He basically delivered it to me during the lockdown so that was his reason. I'm just wondering if he was using that as an excuse.
Thank you for your wise words.
So it is taxed but in the other drivers name obviously tax isnt transferrable. But if they were to check technically it is taxed if you get what I mean. If I search up my registration it is taxed until Nov 2020, so they wont be able to clamp it and take it away right along with the 1k fee.

I too was worried about going into the Post office to then be referred to the police if they find out I havent taxed it in my name yet. Its a very tricky situation.

What do you think is best course of action?

I am planning to go to the post office and pay for tax 1 year maybe ask to backdate it if possible and the £25 fee for the V5C and come clean. But thinking about it - its a risky one.

The PO will either help or they won't, they won't care beyond that (for all they know the car is garaged/SORN)
Original post by StriderHort
The PO will either help or they won't, they won't care beyond that (for all they know the car is garaged/SORN)

Cool.
What about the police and clamping situation.
Technically my car has tax if I check online. So am I covered. It expires November 2020.
Did the seller not give you the green new keeper slip?

Think you had to take that to the post office along with your insurance certificate and MOT certificate to tax the car and then for a new V5c to be issued in your name
Reply 14
Original post by Apple2017

Think you had to take that to the post office along with your insurance certificate and MOT certificate to tax the car and then for a new V5c to be issued in your name

Literally the second line of the OP.......

I forgot to ask about this bit, are you sure you put the right number in? The V5C/2 has several similar ones. The website coming back and essentially saying the car/registration doesn't exist is a pretty big problem (and would likely stop you taxing it at the PO also)
Cool.
What about the police and clamping situation.
Technically my car has tax if I check online. So am I covered. It expires November 2020.

If the vehicle still shows as taxed by anybody, then the police shouldn't pick it up with ANPR...but the tax of the vehicle isn't currently within your control, you don't know if or when they've requested a refund.

I would either have another try online using every number, or go to the PO and simply ask their advice, it's a reasonable question and they will have zero interest in grassing you in to anyone and hassling you for backpayments.
Original post by IWMTom
Literally the second line of the OP.......

Calm down
Reply 17
Calm down

I'm perfectly calm, thanks.
Calm down

Thank you.
This tom guy has been the passive aggressive one on this forum. I guess he has his reasons being a "resident motoring ****"
(edited 3 years ago)

Yes the seller did.
So I took that and combined it with the v62 form and sent it 4 months ago and still haven't received a V5C. So I'm now green slipless.
I do have a picture of it luckily with the reference number but online it says it's invalid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending