The Student Room Group

Why is Boris Johnson hated?

Is it because he defended Dominic Cummings? If there is a good reason to despise him, then fair enough. But, I simply fail to understand why he is hated. I believe he is better than Trump, but he made a mistake when he defended DC, though we all make mistakes and all deserve a second chance.

Scroll to see replies

Every one who become's prime minister is hated.
Reply 2
Original post by OptiWeight
Every one who become's prime minister is hated.

True, but people shouldn't simply hate someone just because they're the PM.
I think because he's prioritised the economy over people's lives during the epidemic. Didn't it take France threatening to close their border with us to get him to put us in lockdown?
I think he's okay tbf, he's done the best he can do with a crappy situation.
The dislike of Boris probably extended back far before Cummings. I think due to his sort of 'goofy' image when he was mayor there was a continuing perception that he was not necessarily highly competent. This was only exacerbated by various mistakes such as the journalist in Iran. Obviously, a certain level of vitriol is almost a given when being Prime Minister, it's a partisan system, there will always be a section of the population that ideologically despise you.

On a more character-based level, he has a record of well documented sexist and racist remarks, that understandably many would take issue with.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
It’s because he is very clearly a self serving duplicitous weasel. Even his friends would concede this.
Why is someone who lies on an industrial scale, cheated on his wife several times, failed to show any sympathy for flood victims in the north of England in February, dodges any scrutiny, failed to act early enough on the Covid 19 pandemic so possibly thousands of deaths could have been averted, treats women badly in his personal and political life, called Scousers victim seeking, talked of piccannies and women looking like 'letterboxes', and who cannot use a comb properly, hated?

I cannot think why.
Reply 7
He hid in the back of a food delivery truck (or something similar), which is when a lot of people lost faith in him.

I like his puppy 😊
He is a dishonest man of very limited ability who hides behind a blustering posh boy image. He has a track record of squandering public funds.

They guy would not survive in any organisation that promoted on the basis of merit yet has thrived in The Conservative Party.
Original post by Moonbow
He hid in the back of a food delivery truck (or something similar), which is when a lot of people lost faith in him.

I like his puppy 😊

I have noticed the absence of the Downing Street cat since his fiancee got the rescue dog they have. I expect the dog to be more loyal and faithful and be in the same house as his fiancee for longer than Mr Johnson will be.
Original post by Zarek
It’s because he is very clearly a self serving duplicitous weasel. Even his friends would concede this.

Please do not insult weasels, they have more use than Mr Johnson.
Variety of reasons.
He is PM, a high profile Conservative politician, divorced, envy of his lifestyle/success, personal experience of people who have known him very well in his private life outside of the political environment, puritanical attitudes of self-appointed moral arbitrators, disagreement with his political decisions/opinions/style of politics.
Original post by barnetlad
I have noticed the absence of the Downing Street cat since his fiancee got the rescue dog they have. I expect the dog to be more loyal and faithful and be in the same house as his fiancee for longer than Mr Johnson will be.

Aww, I hope the cat is ok. Unfortunately, I’ll have to agree with you there. I hope the dog will keep her happy 😊 Which breed was it? I don’t think I saw it :frown:
Original post by Moonbow
Aww, I hope the cat is ok. Unfortunately, I’ll have to agree with you there. I hope the dog will keep her happy 😊 Which breed was it? I don’t think I saw it :frown:

Other than it being a rescue dog and being called Dhillon, I don't remember any more.
Original post by Moonbow

Jack Russell cross.
Original post by londonmyst
Jack Russell cross.

Aww! That’s very cute :emog:
I think its mainly his posh background and the fact he is PM.

Obviously he's also made unpopular decisions and controversial statements but I think every PM does that. For example, a lot of people hate him for what they see as a hard-line Brexit stance. But if he'd been anti-brexit he'd probably have had just as much hate by the Brexiteers. Covid too - currently I think its pretty certain more people will die due to economic damage of lockdown than covid, but whatever he'd done, he'd get hate. Not defending his decisions but you can't win as PM really.
- He prorogued parliament. For which the Queen should have dismissed him for involving her in politics.
- He hired Dominic Cummings. The crime was not sacking him for the 'checking my eyesight' story which was full of lies
- He has made multiple offensive comments. Over many years.
- He tried to force no-deal Brexit. Well not yet.
- His Coronavirus strategy has been about putting the economy over people's lives. Which he has been no good at- he has little understanding of the economy, if he did then non-food shops would have been open long before pubs, and face coverings a lot earlier to inspire confidence.
Reply 18
The Coronavirus comments about are just mad. As if completely destroying an economy and "people's lives" are two separate things. We're already seeing major job losses - public services will suffer. It's disastrous.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it because he defended Dominic Cummings? If there is a good reason to despise him, then fair enough. But, I simply fail to understand why he is hated. I believe he is better than Trump, but he made a mistake when he defended DC, though we all make mistakes and all deserve a second chance.

Because BoJo can barely manage a speech, nevermind leading the country through the most difficult time in 40 years. Still support the Tories though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending