The Student Room Group

American studying in England AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesCaprio
I think I understand the accent situation better than most Americans , there are so many British accents it’s insane , I like most of them but there’s something about the Irish , typical posh or the accent of a woman from Manchester that makes me feel a certain way 🥵

For some reasons in my experience people either really love or dislike my accent 😂

Last year alone there were hundreds of knife deaths in London alone. The government and the police still haven't done anything to improve the situation. In America there are tens of hundreds of shooting deaths. Are there similarities between the UK and US governments in this area? Why do they claim to be a superpower when they can't even handle their own domestic issues?

@Reality Check @rxyaltyx @H4ttie03 @Chopinnocturne31
ab2-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Please translate if you can.
The driving , I’ve only recently got my license and now I’m having to drive on the ‘wrong’ side of the wrong with roads skinnier than my d*** after quarantine.

Assuming that you're right handed, how are you going to do your drive-by-shooting, in a left-hand drive car?
Original post by H4ttie03
Lol dude I'm British and if someone suggested having dinner at 9 I'd think they were mad, I usually have it around 6 ish

:headfire: - you need to move to the states!
There's been a lot of tea questions but can I just confirm something: in the US, do you guys have electric kettles with which you make tea?

This is to settle something with my mum who thinks you don't. I don't know why.
Original post by SnowMiku
There's been a lot of tea questions but can I just confirm something: in the US, do you guys have electric kettles with which you make tea?

This is to settle something with my mum who thinks you don't. I don't know why.

I think an electric 'jug' is not hugely common. @RogerOxon - was this a bit of Britain you took with you: an electric kettle?
Original post by Reality Check
:headfire: - you need to move to the states!

Hahaha I plan to do a year abroad in the USA when I go to uni so I shall see then:smile:
Original post by SnowMiku

We do, but they're whimpy. 120V and 15A doesn't boil water very quickly. I seriously considered installing a British socket and wiring it for 240V when I redid my kitchen, although it would have been anti-phase, so no neutral.

Some have near-boiling water taps installed. They don't make good tea.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
We do, but they're whimpy. 120V and 15A doesn't boil water very quickly. I seriously considered installing a British socket and wiring it for 240V when I redid my kitchen, although it would have been anti-phase, so no neutral.

Some have near-boiling water taps installed. They don't make good tea.

Ah, thanks for telling me!

It's sad to hear though :frown: everyone deserves a good cup of tea
Original post by RogerOxon

Some have hot near-boiling taps installed. They don't make good tea.

Doesn't that mean the maximum power of domestic items is 1800W? A 3kW kettle, iron or fan heater is thus not possible on a circuit? Also, I seem to remember that you have radial, rather than ring circuits.

God, an 1.8kW kettle would drive me insane waiting...and waiting...and waiting
Doesn't that mean the maximum power of domestic items is 1800W? A 3kW kettle, iron or fan heater is thus not possible on a circuit? Also, I seem to remember that you have radial, rather than ring circuits.

God, an 1.8kW kettle would drive me insane waiting...and waiting...and waiting

Omg ikr, random question but how do you have your tea? Like do you have milk, sugar etc?
Original post by H4ttie03
Omg ikr, random question but how do you have your tea? Like do you have milk, sugar etc?

It depends. If it's a fine tea like FTGFOP darjeeling or orange pekoe (get me), then I'd have it black. But most of the time, it's a mug of builders tea - my favourite, and it's then two sugars, full-cream milk (lots) and very, very strong. Couple of hobnobs and job done. This has powered my life.
It depends. If it's a fine tea like FTGFOP darjeeling or orange pekoe (get me), then I'd have it black. But most of the time, it's a mug of builders tea - my favourite, and it's then two sugars, full-cream milk (lots) and very, very strong. Couple of hobnobs and job done. This has powered my life.

Omg seriously, lol if I'm gonna have a cup of tea I genuinely will just have the bag and the water, I have no milk or sugar lmaooo, my friends think I'm so weird as they all have it w milk
Original post by Edminzodo
ab2-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Please translate if you can.

Loollll this is so funny 😂 are you seriously asking for a translation though?
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Loollll this is so funny 😂 are you seriously asking for a translation though?

Just wondering if Americans know what it means 😂
Whereabouts are you studying? Good luck with the accents . . .

I’m studying at Durham University so I guess they may as well be speaking another language huh ? 🤣
Just wondering if Americans know what it means 😂

Ohhh, I thought you were American and asking for someone to translate it 😂 @JamesCaprio please try to translate it haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 37
Prepare for a life downgrade 😂
I’m studying at Durham University so I guess they may as well be speaking another language huh ? 🤣

Durham is full of well spoken Southerners so you'll be fine. Good luck if you ever visit Newcastle, though.
AMA? 🤔

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest