The Student Room Group

Furlough should be scrapped immediately

Furlough is essentially Welfare Version 2 and should be scrapped immediately. Rather than paying people to sit at home which they dont do anyways why not get the same people to pick fruit or clean hotel rooms rather than importing millions of foreigners to do this work?

The furlough junkies love it they go to the beach and pub everyday with their welfare gang members and its in their interest not to social distance not to wear a mask etc so they can get Sunak to give them even more furlough money for doing f all in their daily lives.

No other western country has gone down the furlough route, rather than breeding a new generation of shysters with it get them take another job that is available rather than giving them money to sit on a beach all day or when they are bored going to a pub instead.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monkeybest
Furlough is essentially Welfare Version 2 and should be scrapped immediately. Rather than paying people to sit at home which they dont do anyways why not get the same people to pick fruit or clean hotel rooms rather than importing millions of foreigners to do this work?

The furlough junkies love it they go to the beach and pub everyday with their welfare gang members and its in their interest not to social distance not to wear a mask etc so they can get Sunak to give them even more furlough money for doing f all in their daily lives.

No other western country has gone down the furlough route, rather than breeding a new generation of shysters with it get them take another job that is available rather than giving them money to sit on a beach all day or when they are bored going to a pub instead.

I agree with everything you're saying. Furlough was pretty pointless, when you think about it. I still like Sunak though.
rishi-sunak.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)

I believe we should have gone down the route of:
- Capital Gains Tax cut.
- Corporation tax break for 6 months.
- Income tax cut.
- Quantitative easing
Reply 3
Heaven forfend the idea that the government stop millions of people being sacked :rolleyes:
It's clear you two have never actually had a job if this is your attitude to mass unemployment.
Original post by Napp
Heaven forfend the idea that the government stop millions of people being sacked :rolleyes:
It's clear you two have never actually had a job if this is your attitude to mass unemployment.

The state wasn't sacking people but it is devaluing responsible citizens savings to give people free money.
Reply 6
Original post by TheStupidMoon
The state wasn't sacking people but it is devaluing responsible citizens savings to give people free money.

I didnt say the state was sacking people, although its the states actions that have helped contribute to the state of affairs - shutting down the economy by diktat obviously leading to mass layoffs.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'responsible citizens' though? Nor what you mean by devaluing money seeing as there hasnt been any particularly noticeable inflationary effect.
Reply 7
Original post by Gundabad(good)
I agree with everything you're saying. Furlough was pretty pointless, when you think about it. I still like Sunak though.
rishi-sunak.jpg

So you think Sunak has made a £100bn mistake but you still like him because Bojo is more incompetent....?
Reply 8

By closing business it pretty much was.

If you make it illegal to work then the direct consequence being they are sacked is pretty much the state's responsibility.
Original post by Quady
So you think Sunak has made a £100bn mistake but you still like him because Bojo is more incompetent....?

Sunak's small mistake can be forgiven. BoJo's incompetence can't.
Reply 10

I think thats the first time i've heard someone describe spending £100,000,000,000 as 'a small mistake'..
Reply 11

Sunaks small mistake? Thats a mistake of 5% of UK GDP...
Or at least it would have been until Sunak trashed the economy, more like 10% now.
get them take another job that is available rather than giving them money to sit on a beach all day or when they are bored going to a pub instead.

There are 9.7 million people on furlough/flexible furlough and 1.4 million unemployed. There are 295,000 job vacancies at the moment.

Is your maths so shockingly poor that you can't understand why "get them take another job" isn't going to happen?
I think after an initial period it should have been tailored to some jobs only, and an employer expected to make a contribution, or a minimum number of hours worked. Most businesses even if not having customers will have some tasks that can be caught up on or be ahead of for when services/customers resume.

The other one would have been where there were only a percentage on furlough, some rotation or part-time hours, which I am aware some employers did.
(edited 3 years ago)
I hate the conservatives, but what they did saved millions of jobs, and in the long run we'll look back and thank them for it. Its what's best for the economy in the long term.
I hate the conservatives, but what they did saved millions of jobs, and in the long run we'll look back and thank them for it. Its what's best for the economy in the long term. J
Original post by Quady
Sunaks small mistake? Thats a mistake of 5% of UK GDP...
Or at least it would have been until Sunak trashed the economy, more like 10% now.

Look at it this way. BoJo and Cummings are the enemy. Sunak isn't. You need to stop focusing on the wrong guy.
Reply 17
Original post by Kitten in boots
There are 9.7 million people on furlough/flexible furlough and 1.4 million unemployed. There are 295,000 job vacancies at the moment.

Is your maths so shockingly poor that you can't understand why "get them take another job" isn't going to happen?

Get a grip knucklehead why do we have 3 million eastern europeans doing jobs lazy shyster Brits wont do? Why are we still importing labour from Europe while at the same time putting shyster Brits onto furlough to join their welfare gang members at the beach doing f all the day apart from spreading you know what.

Any wonder cases on rise again? Paying people to do f all is always a bad idea as all they do is cause trouble or smoke/drink and binge watch netflix all day. Furlough should be scrapped force these shysters to clean hotel rooms and pick fruit rather than giving them taxpayers cash to sit on a beach all day. Same goes for the welfare gang also.
Original post by Napp
I didnt say the state was sacking people, although its the states actions that have helped contribute to the state of affairs - shutting down the economy by diktat obviously leading to mass layoffs.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'responsible citizens' though? Nor what you mean by devaluing money seeing as there hasnt been any particularly noticeable inflationary effect.

Where is this magic furlough money coming from?

Original post by Quady
By closing business it pretty much was.

If you make it illegal to work then the direct consequence being they are sacked is pretty much the state's responsibility.

Why are they being sacked instead of their jobs being put on hold? Don't we have a benefits system?
Reply 19
Where is this magic furlough money coming from?

A mixture of borrowing and printing if memory serves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending