The Student Room Group

3rd year alleged plagiarism is it over for me?!?!😨

I have submitted an essay which came to an 60% in similarities, 10% of the similarity is from reference page and the cover page, which means 51 is the actual similarity or plagiarism. I am terrified as to what is going to happen. I have another essay that has been referred to APO but did not hear anything about that assignment anyway both of these essays received 0. I am in my final year (3rd year). I have been called in for a hearing by the APO ( Academic Practice Officer) through zoom call due to the Covid-19. In turnitin, there are a lot of matched sources submitted to different universities some are 1% or 2%. I want to be honest as I truly did not intend for this to happen. I have not intentionally tried to plagiarise at all...
I believe this may have occurred as I did not paraphrase this work properly which is a bad academic practice, as I was going through a rough patch during the assessment period. I was depressed due to a family death, it took a great toll on my mental health but I did try to complete the assignments because if I deferred it, I* was scared of not graduating because I’m in my final year I am well aware of what I have done and I am really sorry. I didn’t realise it was plagiarism. What do you think is going to happen?? will they just kick me out:frown: on the same modules I have achieved first class or really high grade.

Scroll to see replies

Did you not cite the non paraphased sections?
I'm so sorry to hear about the bereavement.

Did you contact any support networks for additional help or advice, that's something that could help form a case for your hearing?

Rules on plagiarism are usually really clear, no matter what's going on in our home lives. If it's that heavily similar, I'm not sure if things will particularly turn in your favour. Do you have an academic adviser you could contact?

Best of luck.
I have submitted an essay which came to an 60% in similarities, 10% of the similarity is from reference page and the cover page, which means 51 is the actual similarity or plagiarism. I am terrified as to what is going to happen. I have another essay that has been referred to APO but did not hear anything about that assignment anyway both of these essays received 0. I am in my final year (3rd year). I have been called in for a hearing by the APO ( Academic Practice Officer) through zoom call due to the Covid-19. In turnitin, there are a lot of matched sources submitted to different universities some are 1% or 2%. I want to be honest as I truly did not intend for this to happen. I have not intentionally tried to plagiarise at all...
I believe this may have occurred as I did not paraphrase this work properly which is a bad academic practice, as I was going through a rough patch during the assessment period. I was depressed due to a family death, it took a great toll on my mental health but I did try to complete the assignments because if I deferred it, I* was scared of not graduating because I’m in my final year I am well aware of what I have done and I am really sorry. I didn’t realise it was plagiarism. What do you think is going to happen?? will they just kick me out:frown: on the same modules I have achieved first class or really high grade.
Original post by Anonymous

I very sad to hear about your family death may their soul rest in peace. Talking about the issue since its third time they might warning again probably if they are nice I would say when u talk to them tell them about your situation I am sure something gets figured for you btw I never been to a uni. I just wanted to give reassurance. Don't worry about and stress . I hope everything gets solved quickly!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
You will be penalised. How heavily, we don't know. It depends the level of misconduct adjudged by your assessment officer (which we don't know). Not realising that incorrectly citing, not citing, paraphrasing (which should still be cited anyway) is plagiarism is not a defence: you are a third year, and it behoves you to know what constitutes good academic practice. This sounds harsh but it is nevertheless the position that your institution will likely take.

The death might have some mitigation, but like all mitigation, ought to have been raised at the time and will likely require production of a death cert to be taken seriously. Callous (and none of us really like it), but procedure in the vast majority of institutions.

You are best to cop to it, explain your side with contrition, and hope for the best. The best outcome would be a capped resit, or, a fail: if there is a no detriment policy re COVID, you might be able to disregard a fail. You need to look up the procedures for your institution.
(edited 3 years ago)
I would say to be honest with them. Explain your situation and that you didn’t intend to plagiarise and offer to resit the coursework. Plagiarism though is serious and if it’s 2 pieces of coursework at around 50% then you have an issue.

Have you got past drafts of these coursework to show your progression? That way you can show that you’ve worked on it by yourself to some extent.

However you are likely to be in serious trouble. What the outcome is we don’t know. Redo of coursework, of year, we won’t know until after the meeting. Be honest, it’s the best thing you can do now.
Original post by Sammy9999
I very sad to hear about your family death may their soul rest in peace. Talking about the issue since its third time they might warning again probably if they are nice I would say when u talk to them tell them about your situation I am sure something gets figured for you btw I never been to a uni. I just wanted to give reassurance. Don't worry about and stress . I hope everything gets solved quickly!

So your reply is pretty unhelpful? :rolleyes:
Original post by StriderHort
So your reply is pretty unhelpful? :rolleyes:

Well it might be but I just wanted to give reassurance and encouragement.

That is some pretty bad academic practice. Keep your fingers crossed!

WHAT reassurance? you don't know anything about it or have any experience? You might as well have said God loves them.
Reply 11

Better to be realistic: the prospects are not good.

You don't really seem to realise what you have done or understand plagiarism at all.

Using someone else's work (intellectual property) without properly referencing it is a serious academic offence. It is not "bad academic practice" - it is theft. Saying you were a bit stressed out is no defence.

It doesn't matter whether you directly quote someone else's work or as you say 'paraphrase' it. It's the lack of acknowledgement that is the issue.

Contact your SU Welfare Officer and see if they can give you some advice or assistance.

Your personal circumstances don't excuse your actions; they may offer some mitigation. You may want to think very carefully about exactly what you are going to say.
(edited 3 years ago)
WHAT reassurance? you don't know anything about it or have any experience? You might as well have said God loves them.

(clocked anon by accident, but seriously, if you know nothing about whats being discussed, don't try and give 'reassurance & encouragement' :smile: )
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Grizwuld
You don't really seem to realise what you have done or understand plagiarism at all.

Using someone else's work (intellectual property) without properly referencing it is a serious academic offence. It is not "bad academic practice - it is theft. Saying you were a bit stressed out is no defence.

It doesn't matter whether you directly quote someone else's work or as you say 'paraphrase' it. It's the lack of acknowledgement that is the issue.

Contact your SU Welfare Officer and see if they can give you some advice or assistance.

Your personal circumstances don't excuse your actions; they may offer some mitigation. You may want to think very carefully about exactly what you are going to say.

Yeah plagiarism is a very serious offense in academia. The ramifications of it are clearly laid out in most uni handbooks from the beginning of FIRST year.

You need to get your narrative right and know what you are going to say.
You seem to be saying it is all a case of not referencing correctly i.e putting in quotation marks, but you have at least included the reference work in your list of references?

50% is very high.

Who dies was it a close family member? Parent or sibling?
How close to the essay?
Were you seeing the GP or support services??
Were you diagnosed with depression?
Simply paraphrasing counts as plagiarism.

You need to get your story straight as to what you have done and what you admit to?
If you are going to use the MH issue, then you need proof.

Think you are being a bit harsh/ mean on sammy999, they are only wishing them the best and supportive as best they can.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
You need to get your narrative right and know what you are going to say.
You seem to be saying it is all a case of not referencing correctly i.e putting in quotation marks, but you have at least included the reference work in your list of references?

50% is very high.

Who dies was it a close family member? Parent or sibling?
How close to the essay?
Were you seeing the GP or support services??
Were you diagnosed with depression?
Simply paraphrasing counts as plagiarism.

You need to get your story straight as to what you have done and what you admit to?
If you are going to use the MH issue, then you need proof.

Think you are being a bit harsh/ mean on sammy999, they are only wishing them the best and supportive as best they can.

Unfortunately in the real world, plagiarism is a grave offense in academia. If they were suffering, they should have got an extension on their work.
You should have contacted them with your extenuating circumstances beforehand. This has happened to some people I know. One was excused as it wasn't that high, and it was due to lack of access to a translation due to COVID-19, so they let her go. But, I know 2 people who submitted near identical essays, and their module marks were capped at 40 because of it. Contact the relevant people ASAP, but expect the worst.
Original post by 999tigger

I didn't call them anything or swear. How can someone who admits no knowledge of the issues or experience give reassurance that doesn't come across as meaningless and somewhat insensitive?
I didn't call them anything or swear. How can someone who admits no knowledge of the issues or experience give reassurance that doesn't come across as meaningless and somewhat insensitive?

(soz don't know where all this anon pish is coming from)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending