The Student Room Group

What maths communities are out there to join?

I'm looking for a community (like a discord or something) for people that enjoy interesting/difficult maths problems, is there anything like that I could join? I'm mainly interested in further maths and STEP 1,2,3 and am studying it on my own so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative thanks!

(and any good maths resources in general I would be really appreciative of too since I currently use physicsandmathstutor and the STEP support programme on the cambridge university website.)
Reply 1
Have a look at

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6557884

And some of the other threads on the Maths Exams section. There are a few "hard questions" threads which pop up now and again.
Original post by Mathsisfun0
I'm looking for a community (like a discord or something) for people that enjoy interesting/difficult maths problems, is there anything like that I could join? I'm mainly interested in further maths and STEP 1,2,3 and am studying it on my own so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative thanks!

(and any good maths resources in general I would be really appreciative of too since I currently use physicsandmathstutor and the STEP support programme on the cambridge university website.)

And this...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6465960&p=88358268#post88358268

and this..

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6438818&p=88086758#post88086758

and this

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6467624&p=88369390#post88369390

Hope this can get you started

Do you mean communities specifically here or elsewhere on the internet?
Discord maths community is actually really great for problems and generally discussing maths - it's where you'll find all the geeks and nerds essentially!

Incase you havent yet, definitely check out and join math.stackexchange.com
Bear in mind that it's against the TSR ToS to invite or solicit invitations to off-site communications platforms. There are however as linked above plenty of resources and discussion threads available on TSR itself :smile:
Not too many on TSR I'm afraid.

The hard integral thread (and its sisters for sums/products and limits) & The Proof Is Trivial dried up unfortunately, lack of interest seemingly. For hard problems you might be interested in looking these up though - there may be over a thousand between them all iirc.

There is however the STEP prep threads where you'll find plenty of interested people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Have a look at

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6557884

And some of the other threads on the Maths Exams section. There are a few "hard questions" threads which pop up now and again.

This looks to be useful, especially the STEP megapack thanks!
Reply 8

Thank you for your response!
I have been looking into oxbridge but I have doubts about if I could really get in since I realised my passion for mathematics really quite late on (I'm 20), do you think its worth pursuing oxbridge at this point or is it too late? Thank you for the very informative threads again!
Reply 9
Original post by excitedpresent
Do you mean communities specifically here or elsewhere on the internet?
Discord maths community is actually really great for problems and generally discussing maths - it's where you'll find all the geeks and nerds essentially!

Anywhere on the internet at all is of great help!
I'll give discord maths a look too, that is (I think) exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!
Thank you!
Original post by Abbas_4042
Incase you havent yet, definitely check out and join math.stackexchange.com

Thank you! At a first glance this looks really quite hard which is all the better as it means there is more here for me to learn from!
Yes I do think it’s worth it if you want to apply

Quick Reply

Latest