The Student Room Group

Council Tax situation - 3 full time students, 1 part-timer

Hey,

I am contacting the council about this but it is a bank holiday weekend. We received a hefty council tax bill for the next year. We are a house of three full time students (two BA, one MA) and myself, a part-time MA student. They are all really worried and I feel awful since it is because of me. I am wondering if any of you know what may happen to the council tax situation from your own experiences?

I can work full time, so I don't mind paying for myself, but I feel guilty that they may have to pay too. It is a big house with quite a pricy band so the entire house would be too much to pay on my own as I have to pay for my tuition as a Postgrad student. Any advice or similar experiences greatly welcomed!
It's my understanding that as soon as you have someone in the household who isn't a full-time student, then you have to pay council tax. You might be able to contact the council and get a reduction since you're a PT student, but you might have to get ready to pay it regardless. You can have a chat with your flatmates and see if they'll be willing to help with paying it, bit if they're all full time students, then in reality the only person who needs to pay is you :/

Council tax is pretty brutal, my flatmates and I finished uni in May of 2019 and in April we had a letter from the council warning us that starting from 25 May we had to be paying since we would no longer be students. I would def contact the council and see if there's anything that can be done for you in terms of reducing it!
Original post by lagnad
Hey,

I am contacting the council about this but it is a bank holiday weekend. We received a hefty council tax bill for the next year. We are a house of three full time students (two BA, one MA) and myself, a part-time MA student. They are all really worried and I feel awful since it is because of me. I am wondering if any of you know what may happen to the council tax situation from your own experiences?

I can work full time, so I don't mind paying for myself, but I feel guilty that they may have to pay too. It is a big house with quite a pricy band so the entire house would be too much to pay on my own as I have to pay for my tuition as a Postgrad student. Any advice or similar experiences greatly welcomed!

You are the only one that is liable, the entire responsibility for council tax is yours alone. The good news, is, that as full time students are effectively invisible, you qualify for the single person's 25% discount.
Yup, as above. You will be liable for 75% of the council tax-bill as you are only a part-time student. (You get a 25% discount for being the sole occupant that is required to pay council tax)
Unfortunately for you it means that you will need to pay the full amount as your housemates are all exempt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending