The Student Room Group

💓Blogging My Way Through Nursing: A Journal💓

If you want to be added to the follow list to receive notifications, feel free to ask! :dontknow:

Blogging My Way Through Nursing: A Journal :s-smilie:

I'm starting this blog to motivate myself to set goals and hit them (as well as hopefully chatting and making new friends!) So, whether you're in Nursing or not, follow along and lets learn from each other's mistakes! <3

My Other Threads:

Spoiler

To Study before uni:

Spoiler

(disclaimer as I already panicked someone! - you don't have to study these things before uni, I was just trying to get ahead, haha. If your uni wanted you to read/study over the holiday, I'm sure they would've emailed you :biggrin: sorry)

Preparation before uni:

Spoiler

Vegan finds:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
31/08/20

Seeing as its Monday...
Here is the studying I want to have down by the end of this week!

Temperature

Blood pressure / pulse

Respiratory rate

The Nursing Code

The NHS Constitution

May I ask - do you have to study (the things you wrote down) before you start nursing or are you just getting ahead?
Reply 3
Original post by Bbubble061
May I ask - do you have to study (the things you wrote down) before you start nursing or are you just getting ahead?

no, no. I am just trying to get ahead haha.. If your uni wanted you to read something over the summer they would've emailed you and such :smile: hope I didn't panic you or something lol. Are you going to study nursing too? :biggrin:
Original post by nursingstudentuk
no, no. I am just trying to get ahead haha.. If your uni wanted you to read something over the summer they would've emailed you and such :smile: hope I didn't panic you or something lol. Are you going to study nursing too? :biggrin:

I'm planning on doing adult nursing next year. I'm just quite panicked about it so I'm binge reading on nursing stuff lol
Reply 5
I'm planning on doing adult nursing next year. I'm just quite panicked about it so I'm binge reading on nursing stuff lol

Scary right? I keep worrying that there's some sort of basic knowledge about like... a muscle or bone that I'm missing, and it will be embarassing when it comes up :biggrin: oh dear... I'm sure we will be fine lol. I am panicked too! Good luck xx
Scary right? I keep worrying that there's some sort of basic knowledge about like... a muscle or bone that I'm missing, and it will be embarassing when it comes up :biggrin: oh dear... I'm sure we will be fine lol. I am panicked too! Good luck xx

Thanks! I think it's a really good idea that you're giving it your all and being very ORGANised (sorry). Just make sure you don't push yourself too much or burn yourself out - you'll make me worry!!! Anyway, you have my best wishes for your future in nursing. :heart:
Reply 7
Thanks! I think it's a really good idea that you're giving it your all and being very ORGANised (sorry). Just make sure you don't push yourself too much or burn yourself out - you'll make me worry!!! Anyway, you have my best wishes for your future in nursing. :heart:

Haha! Very punny, and thank you, I wish you the best too! <3
Reply 8
Subbing, good luck! :hugs:
Reply 9
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Subbing, good luck! :hugs:

Ah, thank you Mr Fox, you sure are lovely! :biggrin: <3
Reply 10
Hello! Where are you studying nursing?
Subbing! As someone with a chronic health condition I spend a lot of time around nurses so it'll be very interesting seeing the type of stuff you learn! Good luck! :h:
Original post by MadameRazz
Subbing! As someone with a chronic health condition I spend a lot of time around nurses so it'll be very interesting seeing the type of stuff you learn! Good luck! :h:

Hello! And thank you :3 hopefully I'll be able to divulge some juicy details :biggrin: <3
I'm already learning some funny stuff so far... my textbook seems to be suggesting that nurses pretend to take your pulse and actually measure your respiratory rate :biggrin: sneaky heehee (perhaps that one was obvious, but I had no idea!). Thank you for the sub! Have a nice day!
20200831_153823-1_resized.jpg
Hello! And thank you :3 hopefully I'll be able to divulge some juicy details :biggrin: <3
I'm already learning some funny stuff so far... my textbook seems to be suggesting that nurses pretend to take your pulse and actually measure your respiratory rate :biggrin: sneaky heehee (perhaps that one was obvious, but I had no idea!). Thank you for the sub! Have a nice day!
20200831_153823-1_resized.jpg

Haha I think I've actually had a couple of nurses do this when taking my pulse! I thought they were just concentrating :biggrin:
Yay! Thank you for the sub and the luck! <3 are you a student yourself?
Original post by Bcc7867
Hello! Where are you studying nursing?

Sorry for the late reply! I will be at UWE, Bristol :smile: are you doing Nursing?
If you want to be added to the follow list to receive notifications, feel free to ask!

Blogging My Way Through Nursing: A Journal :s-smilie:

I wasn't the best a level student... but when I start Nursing in September, I want to give it my everything, so I'm starting this blog to motivate myself to set goals and hit them (as well as hopefully chatting and making new friends!) So, whether you're in Nursing or not, follow along and lets learn from each other's mistakes! <3

To Study before uni:

Spoiler

(disclaimer as I already panicked someone! - you don't have to study these things before uni, I was just trying to get ahead, haha. If your uni wanted you to read/study over the holiday, I'm sure they would've emailed you :biggrin: sorry)

Preparation before uni:

Spoiler

(sorry for double post, I accidentally went anon!)

hiiiii,
i am really interested in doing nursing when i go to uni, i am starting sixth from next week(i know i have a lot ahead of me ) and doing Health and Social Extended Diploma Level 3
Because you are doing nursing i would like to ask if this option would help me or should i do sciences
also can i ask hows it being a nursing student?hard ? lot of work?
sorry if i am asking too much, i would like to be prepared
Original post by ZARA_160
hiiiii,
i am really interested in doing nursing when i go to uni, i am starting sixth from next week(i know i have a lot ahead of me ) and doing Health and Social Extended Diploma Level 3
Because you are doing nursing i would like to ask if this option would help me or should i do sciences
also can i ask hows it being a nursing student?hard ? lot of work?
sorry if i am asking too much, i would like to be prepared

Hello, lovely!! Disclaimer: I am not a nursing student yet, I am starting in Sept :biggrin: But, hopefully I can help shed some light lol. So, while some unis ask for an a level in biology, others just ask for a certain amount of UCAS points which can come from any subject really. There seems to be (from what I can gather) a lot of variety in terms of what unis want from applicants for some reason. So, my uni wanted 120 UCAS points, whereas I've seen one uni asking for only 96 UCAS points? Weird eh? Anyway, I googled how many UCAS points your Level 3 Diploma would be worth, and got this result:
"This qualification has the following UCAS Points - D - 72, C - 96, B - 120, A - 144, A* - 168." from this website: "https://www.qualhub.co.uk/qualification-search/qualification-detail/level-3-extended-diploma-in-health-and-social-care-226". So it seems that with a B or even in some cases a C you would have enough UCAS points to do Nursing in unis which only focus on the tally.

Okay, update on this, my uni didn't even specify biology to be honest! They just wanted a science or social science subject, and it looks like you could get into my uni with this course too!
course help.jpg
I would recommend 2 things,
1. talking to the tutors and careers advisers that will be available at your sixth form, they will be able to help (probably a lot more accurately than me lol!) Let them know that you are interested in Nursing, and ask them what subjects you need to get in. But, it looks like you could easily find a uni with this course you're going to do :biggrin: (if you want cheeky extra UCAS points, I recommend taking up an EPQ on the side (really not that much work or time, the only hard part is thinking of what topic to write it on), and I'm sure your sixth form will give you the chance to do EPQs.
2. maybe google which unis are closest to you, and what their requirements are, and jot it in a google doc or something :smile:

Now, although I havent started Nursing yet, I can tell you that I've her it is hard, it is a lot of studying. There will be difficult patients, and probably difficult coworkers too! It is a labour of love, and it's about the positive experiences you have with "good" patients, outweighing the bad ones. It is very rewarding, but can be very tolling, physically and mentally. The job involves being on your feet all day and you will need to grow a thick skin. The pay isnt the best either, so I wouldn't go into it for that. But if none of that puts you off, it can be wonderfully rewarding! Sorry this reply is a bit chaotic, I was writing it as I was researching and now I cba to go back and edit. :biggrin: Hope I helped maybe? <3 (also, lowkey... nhs discount - not that I'm doing nursing for that but like... yeah). Good luck with your studies!! Wherever they lead you! <3
Reply 18
Sorry for the late reply! I will be at UWE, Bristol :smile: are you doing Nursing?

Don’t worry! I just got accepted at RGU for Adult Nursing! I am very excited! And great, I have heard UWE is very nice!
Hello, lovely!! Disclaimer: I am not a nursing student yet, I am starting in Sept :biggrin: But, hopefully I can help shed some light lol. So, while some unis ask for an a level in biology, others just ask for a certain amount of UCAS points which can come from any subject really. There seems to be (from what I can gather) a lot of variety in terms of what unis want from applicants for some reason. So, my uni wanted 120 UCAS points, whereas I've seen one uni asking for only 96 UCAS points? Weird eh? Anyway, I googled how many UCAS points your Level 3 Diploma would be worth, and got this result:
"This qualification has the following UCAS Points - D - 72, C - 96, B - 120, A - 144, A* - 168." from this website: "https://www.qualhub.co.uk/qualification-search/qualification-detail/level-3-extended-diploma-in-health-and-social-care-226". So it seems that with a B or even in some cases a C you would have enough UCAS points to do Nursing in unis which only focus on the tally.

Okay, update on this, my uni didn't even specify biology to be honest! They just wanted a science or social science subject, and it looks like you could get into my uni with this course too!
course help.jpg
I would recommend 2 things,
1. talking to the tutors and careers advisers that will be available at your sixth form, they will be able to help (probably a lot more accurately than me lol!) Let them know that you are interested in Nursing, and ask them what subjects you need to get in. But, it looks like you could easily find a uni with this course you're going to do :biggrin: (if you want cheeky extra UCAS points, I recommend taking up an EPQ on the side (really not that much work or time, the only hard part is thinking of what topic to write it on), and I'm sure your sixth form will give you the chance to do EPQs.
2. maybe google which unis are closest to you, and what their requirements are, and jot it in a google doc or something :smile:

Now, although I havent started Nursing yet, I can tell you that I've her it is hard, it is a lot of studying. There will be difficult patients, and probably difficult coworkers too! It is a labour of love, and it's about the positive experiences you have with "good" patients, outweighing the bad ones. It is very rewarding, but can be very tolling, physically and mentally. The job involves being on your feet all day and you will need to grow a thick skin. The pay isnt the best either, so I wouldn't go into it for that. But if none of that puts you off, it can be wonderfully rewarding! Sorry this reply is a bit chaotic, I was writing it as I was researching and now I cba to go back and edit. :biggrin: Hope I helped maybe? <3 (also, lowkey... nhs discount - not that I'm doing nursing for that but like... yeah). Good luck with your studies!! Wherever they lead you! <3

good luck with uni! i wish you the very best in your studies !
also take care of yourself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending