The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

PLEASE HELP!!! Can i get into UCL with these grades? 0.o

Okay, so i'm trying to get into UCL to do a BSc in Construction For Project Management.

The entry requirements are BBB (A level), or DDD (Btecs)

As well as a grade 5 or C in Maths and English Language.

Now, here are my grades (and as you will see, my problems)
BTEC National Extednded Diploma RQF 1080: D*DD
IB (SL) English Language and Literature: Grade 5/7

GCSE's
English Language: 4
Maths: 5
Spanish: E (Assuming i am given an offer, they do state that UCL provides the chance to meet the GCSE Foreign langauge requirement, i never cared much for spanish- ik, im an idiot).

Here is the problem, I meet the math requirement by getting a grade 5 at GCSE level, however my English Language GCSE was a grade 4 when the standard UCL requirement is a grade 5 or C.

I had a hypo in that English Language exam (i am a diabetic) and was really dissapointed as I am quite skilled in the subject of English Language and literature. I contacted them and informed them of my GCSE English language predicament and the person, from the admissions department, told me this;

"Thank you for your email. We would be happy to consider your UCAS application. If an offer is recommended it may be conditional on re-taking the GCSE but this would be dependent on other circumstances. We will let you know when we receive your application".

I figured that perhaps my IB SL English Language & Lit grade would cover my English Langauge GCSE as its a more difficult qualification.

My question is, for a course like that, do you think my chances are good for receiving an offer based on my grades?
If you dont meet the GCSE requirements they NEVER let you in...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by bored_user:)
If you dont meet the GCSE requirements they NEVER let you in...

Someone on here recently got into UCL (I think for psych?) with maths required at level 6/B and got in with a 5/C.

OP, if you put down realistic choices too, you're only using up one space to apply - go for it! :biggrin:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Someone on here recently got into UCL (I think for psych?) with maths required at level 6/B and got in with a 5/C.

OP, if you put down realistic choices too, you're only using up one space to apply - go for it! :biggrin:

damnn... well ok lol I have heard differently and from my experience it has been different too but if thats happened (And if the person wasnt a troll) why not?
Reply 4
Original post by hakim667
Okay, so i'm trying to get into UCL to do a BSc in Construction For Project Management.

The entry requirements are BBB (A level), or DDD (Btecs)

As well as a grade 5 or C in Maths and English Language.

Now, here are my grades (and as you will see, my problems)
BTEC National Extednded Diploma RQF 1080: D*DD
IB (SL) English Language and Literature: Grade 5/7

GCSE's
English Language: 4
Maths: 5
Spanish: E (Assuming i am given an offer, they do state that UCL provides the chance to meet the GCSE Foreign langauge requirement, i never cared much for spanish- ik, im an idiot).

Here is the problem, I meet the math requirement by getting a grade 5 at GCSE level, however my English Language GCSE was a grade 4 when the standard UCL requirement is a grade 5 or C.

I had a hypo in that English Language exam (i am a diabetic) and was really dissapointed as I am quite skilled in the subject of English Language and literature. I contacted them and informed them of my GCSE English language predicament and the person, from the admissions department, told me this;

"Thank you for your email. We would be happy to consider your UCAS application. If an offer is recommended it may be conditional on re-taking the GCSE but this would be dependent on other circumstances. We will let you know when we receive your application".

I figured that perhaps my IB SL English Language & Lit grade would cover my English Langauge GCSE as its a more difficult qualification.

My question is, for a course like that, do you think my chances are good for receiving an offer based on my grades?

I’m in a similar situation. I’m applying for a course which asks for a 6 in English when I have a 5.

Do you know if a contextual offer might help me? I’m eligible for a contextual offer however I don’t have a problem with the BTEC requirement as I’ve already achieved it so would they lower a gcse requirement?

tbh I don’t think it will matter if you’ve already achieved the grades as GCSEs are a way to track your alevel progress however I’m not sure.
Honestly, just do your best at A-Level and just get a banging personal statement sorted and you'll be fine.

The amount of people who think they can guess your chances of getting in (when they can't) is just insane. Just do your best.
Reply 6
Original post by S1M001
I’m in a similar situation. I’m applying for a course which asks for a 6 in English when I have a 5.

Do you know if a contextual offer might help me? I’m eligible for a contextual offer however I don’t have a problem with the BTEC requirement as I’ve already achieved it so would they lower a gcse requirement?

tbh I don’t think it will matter if you’ve already achieved the grades as GCSEs are a way to track your alevel progress however I’m not sure.

Well, based on what she told me over email regarding my grade 4 in the English Language GCSE when they want a 5, its clear that they do give contextual offers when it comes to GCSE requirements. But i imagine its an extra workload on top of the Uni content you have to blast through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending